Best premise/Most immersion

Hidden and Dangerous ... and it actually engrossed some of my non-gamer friends who ended up buying it. It was an end-task, crash to desktop fest, but the mission intros, c&c and tactics made it quite immersive.

Of recent titles tho i found the oblivion mod Nehrim to be pretty impressive in that regard.
Only an hour in but the starting dungeon really does a great job of keeping you on your toes and seeming like it could collapse around you at any moment.
The realiance on a hand held torch does wonders for the atmosphere and while its in the back of my mind that im never in any real danger since its the starting area and all i still occationally jump at a snarling beast somewhere up ahead in the dark.

I'd have to agree with Djinn on this, I was so into one of the dungeons in Nehrim when the phone rang I almost went into cardiac arrest, been awhile since a game had me that wrapped up in it.

Yeah, Wing Commander was FANTASTIC in terms of immersion, and it was the first "space sim" that truly gave me that Star Wars sensation.

But, you know what was even better - and to me represents the best space game of my experience:

Privateer

Damn, I miss games like that. Why the hell did they stop making them? Because of the joystick thing? How can people NOT like space games?

Like others said, yeah, I kind of consider Privateer as part of the WG series. I'd love to play a space combat/space opera sim like that again (and I do still have a joystick!)

I also have still a joystick, but it's worn out a litle bit, and I'm waiting with the buy for a new one until a new, good game comes out - which doesn't happen ...

My favorite games are my faves mainly because they managed to suck me in… and because I loved the premises. In addition to those mentioned in my sig I'd like to name Heretic/Hexen, Unreal and Quake 2.

And yes, I think different people get sucked in by different types of games. First person view is a must for me.

Back
Top Bottom