General News - The Best RPGs of 2016

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
I know you like your lists, so here is another one at The Escapist. I can uderstand looking forward to RPGs but The Escapist lists already the 9 best RPGs of this year that are yet to be released. The list holds Final Fantasy XV, Persona 5, Fire Emblem Fate, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, The Technomancer, Mass Effect Andromeda, Torment: Tides of Numenera, Horizon Zero Dawn and Dark Souls III.

More information.

Based on their list, there doesn't look to be much in the way of squad-based RPGs on the horizon. Just ME:A and T:ToN, I think. I was hoping for more at this point of the RPG "Renaissance".

Did I mention I hate click bait? I hate click bait. Thanks Myrthos for listing out the games. I'm definitely looking forward to T:ToN and DE:MD. Quite sceptical about ME:A but I will see how that pans out. Really hoping T:ToN won't disappoint (I'm in minority who didn't like PoE... so I'm hoping T:ToN will be a pleasant surprise!)

Based on their list, there doesn't look to be much in the way of squad-based RPGs on the horizon. Just ME:A and T:ToN, I think. I was hoping for more at this point of the RPG "Renaissance".

In the Escapist list, the only games that don't have "squad/companions/party" are Dark Soul III, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and Horizon Zero Dawn.

So many good games on that list..... Horizon Zero Dawn is probably the most intriguing IMO.

I really hope Andromeda is as good as I need it to be (as a ME extremist).

Impossible to take that list even remotely seriously when D:OS 2 isn't included, and some of that other stuff is.

D:OS2 most likely won't be released in 2016.

I don't think D:OS 2 is any less likely to be released in 2016 than Torment is.

D:OS 2 and Dungeons of Aledorn will likely slip into 2017, making it one of the most promising years for RPG's (along with Underworld Ascendant). I'm not that thrilled about 2016, but there may be some pleasant surprises.

The odds to slip into 2017 are definitely quite massively in favor of D:OS 2. Every single Larian game has been late by quite a bit. D:OS was seven months late.
It would be fairly surprising, however, if Torment had a whopping 11+ months beta phase (WL2 had 9 months) as it is already a massive 14 months late at this point.
Of course it is still possible that both will slip into 2017 but if I were a British betting broker, I'd give you way better odds for Torment making a 2016 release :) .

D:OS 2 was said to be a most-likely 2017 release by Sven himself a few times in interviews in 2015.

Torment is in beta since mid-January, it won't stay 12+ months in it.

I still have some games from 2015 to play. Fallout 4 and Pillars of Eternity being the main 2. Also, want to replay the special edition of Wasteland 2. So to be honest, not even looking at 2016 games that much.

best game for 2017? battletech... and i am still looking forward to seven dragons saga...if they can put that together...tsi has been pretty quiet.

best game for 2017? battletech… and i am still looking forward to seven dragons saga…if they can put that together…tsi has been pretty quiet.

The recently published screenshots rekindled my hopes a bit, even though that's not a lot to go by. It's possible there's a storm brewing for their next kickstarter, and that they will bring a lot of in-game footage and a clear vision of the game's rules and design this time. That's what I hope.

The recently published screenshots rekindled my hopes a bit, even though that's not a lot to go by. It's possible there's a storm brewing for their next kickstarter, and that they will bring a lot of in-game footage and a clear vision of the game's rules and design this time. That's what I hope.

Seven Dragon Saga? Yes, they fooled me with that freaking JRPG name with their first KS. Never even looked at it, but I'll most likely insta-pledge their next KS.

Back
Top Bottom