DX12 news

Yeah, I would have liked a demo using a single 980 or similar card. Something that's actually relevant to gamers.

Yeah, I would have liked a demo using a single 980 or similar card. Something that's actually relevant to gamers.
A tech demo is never relevant to gamers. :)

A tech demo is never relevant to gamers. :)

Well, if it's running on hardware that's within our grasp - it's potentially interesting. It means games looking like that could happen.

But I'm not really worried about technology advances. Games are looking better and better to my eyes, so I don't need demos to understand that I'll want to upgrade :)

Well, if it's running on hardware that's within our grasp - it's potentially interesting. It means games looking like that could happen.

But I'm not really worried about technology advances. Games are looking better and better to my eyes, so I don't need demos to understand that I'll want to upgrade :)
I was more referring to the fact that tech demo's use all computing power for graphics. A game of course has to account for other stuff which might be computationally expensive (taking away from graphics), like physics, AI, etc.

I was more referring to the fact that tech demo's use all computing power for graphics. A game of course has to account for other stuff which might be computationally expensive (taking away from graphics), like physics, AI, etc.

It very much depends on what the demo is doing. A demo that's almost entirely about rendering graphics with a minimum of interaction will likely not take full advantage of CPU and non-GPU memory.

As such, you could implement game code without much of a performance hit.

It all depends, really.

Usually, tech demos are based on already established rendering engines, because they don't really want to develop their own rendering engine for every demo out there. As such, the complete engines in question are already "prepared" for more than what's going on in a visual sense.

That doesn't mean a game would look exactly like that, but it CAN give a pretty good idea of what games will look like, eventually.

Durante has a great DirectX 12 Deep Dive article on PC gamer for anyone interested in just how this 'low level' gpu programming works.

First (proper?) test from anandtech shows an interesting effect from dx12.
For currently unknown reason, dx12 operates better if inside are two different manufacturer cards!
nVidia+AMD > nvidia*2 or AMD*2.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9740/directx-12-geforce-plus-radeon-mgpu-preview/4

Should we really buy one nVidia and one AMD card in the future for best performance?
Dunno for sure, all I know is that such option didn't even exist before win10.

Back
Top Bottom