BioWare - Freaking out the Neighbors

Am I sensing a couple of The Dark Eye tabletop fans?

My only experience with The Dark Eye was the Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny remake. I thought the RPG systems in that game were great. :)

I've never played TDE tabletop either, but I really liked Blackguards and what little I've played of Drakensang.

Growing up in the US I was only ever exposed to D&D during my table top days but I also enjoyed Blackguards and drakensang was stats heaven.

Too bad drakensang wasn't marketed better in US. When it was released I had to drive 55 miles to the only gamestop in MN which had only 2 copies.

I got 1 of them though.:)

When it was released I had to drive 55 miles to the only gamestop in MN which had only 2 copies.

Pfft… I walked 40 miles, uphill, in the snow, barefoot, and my copy was missing the manual.

Ok not really… but that sounds like something my father would have claimed. :)

I haven't really enjoyed the gameplay in a Bioware game since DA:O.

I haven't played a BioWare game since Origins. I guess I enjoyed it some…but not a lot. Personally, I found Origins to be a pretty mediocre RPG and never finished it. I just couldn't force myself to dispatch any more Blight popping out of the ground with my uninspired, cookie-cutter skill trees.

And somewhat on topic: Does anyone really buy a BioWare game for its homosexual relationships? If I were gay, I sincerely doubt I would. I'm sure as hell not buying them for their many heterosexual relationships. Now, THACO…..I just might drive 55 miles to buy a game with THACO…

And I seriously doubt I will buy Inquisition at all, unless you folks here tell me what a tactical masterpiece it is. When I watch gameplay vids, it doesn't look very tactical to me at all.

Normally, I would say I hope I'm wrong, but I actually hope I'm not. I really don't want to put EA's Origins sales "platform" on my computer. I'll be happy to remain spoiled by Original Sin. :p

Am I sensing a couple of The Dark Eye tabletop fans?
I'm not very firm with the terminology myself, but isn't a tabletop something very different from Pen&Paper?

And afaik a TDE tabletop doesn't exist. :)

AFAIK, tabletop is about boardgames - though I'm not entirely certain.

Ah, I see - didn't know it was that wide - thanks :)

Kinda makes sense, though.

I just scanned Wikipedia a little. In English language tabletop game is a generalization.
In German (and that's most likely why I thought otherwise) a "Tabletop" is a strategy game, which in English would be called "Miniature wargame".

Well, ok then… sorry for the disturbance, btt. ;)

Does stuff like Hero Quest count as Tabletop in that regard ?
Because there was some Hero Quest like spin offs for the dark eye, with plastic figures.

http://www.wiki-aventurica.de/wiki/Die_Burg_des_Schreckens

I'm not very firm with the terminology myself, but isn't a tabletop something very different from Pen&Paper?

And afaik a TDE tabletop doesn't exist. :)

Not really sure, I've always used the terms interchangeably though.

Right or wrong I will continue to do so as this is the first time it's ever been questioned or people didn't know what I was referring to.

So from this day forward I declare p&p and tabletop forever interchangeably linked in my vocabulary.:)

I had no idea there was a difference between tabletop and p&p! Forgive my ignorance. :)

But I bought all the TDE rulebooks available in English - all three, mind you - and I think they would be heaven for clunky rules fans. For anyone that likes THAC0, please do yourself a favor and look at the TDE basic rules if you can. I have what I think is 4th ed, and I think nothing up till then had been published in English. 3rd ed was apparently even clunkier than that, and I think 3rd ed was what Realms of Arkania was based on. The rules are clunky and all the interesting role playing depth, from diseases to personality flaws, are all in the book. It's lovely.

Again, someone is welcome to correct me if any of my facts are wrong.

Back
Top Bottom