Whatever Happened to PG-13 Movies?

I actually think Humanity Has Risen is just trolling us. He's a little more subdued about it than Digger Nick or Minority Report, but he's a troll nonetheless.

Welcome to my ignore list ... :)

I actually think Humanity Has Risen is just trolling us. He's a little more subdued about it than Digger Nick or Minority Report, but he's a troll nonetheless.

Welcome to my ignore list … :)

Obviously ... but the sad thing is that really, too many in the US (can't speak to other countries) believe what he is saying is true.

20140912.png

Maybe this should go in the Daily Smile thread, but I just happened across it and thought it might be relevant here.

. I don't think I am wrong for wanting to enjoy a good time with my children without us having to stare at a film full of disrespectful or rude characters, or inappropriate adult themes or language.

You are wrong, in fact very wrong. Your type of thinking is why the rest of us have to by so many laws. No one is telling you watch, read or listen to anything. You are more than welcome to come up with your own family plays, games etc if you don't like what someone else is making. I don't know where you think you get the rights to say I don't like that movie so it should be changed so my family can enjoy it.

If you think that many people want to watch what you want it isn't that hard to go to film school, or sit down and write a script and see how that goes, is it?

The fact of the matter is people that don't like what is around them in free countries can pick and move to the middle of no where. So sick of people that like parts of what the free world offers to them but don't like the other parts. Did you ever stop to think that some people or maybe a lot of people don't like what you like and enjoy the things you don't.

I want more choices not less. I want more people stay the heck out of my business.

Indeed, it is a view that is held by more than half of the population, one that is my own as well and which I sincerely hold, with all the best intentions. Calling that trolling is a bit absurd. I'm also not the one calling anyone else dumber than dirt or saying he should disappear in the middle of nowhere. If some people don't agree or don't want to read, I'm totally fine with it though.

Obviously … but the sad thing is that really, too many in the US (can't speak to other countries) believe what he is saying is true.

No, you're absolutely right. It's sad and infuriating to think how many people truly believe the nonsense that he is spouting.

But as Robert Anton Wilson said (who got the quote from someone before him), "You know how dumb the average person is? Mathematically, by definition, half of them are even dumber than that." ... :D

Indeed, it is a view that is held by more than half of the population, one that is my own as well. Calling that trolling is a bit absurd. If some people don't agree or don't want to read, I'm totally fine with it though.

I guess that is a peak into european "culture" today, seems to be a total cesspit.

Most very religious people probably don't play RPGs anyway, I would get a good laugh if some serious religious nuts posted on this site if this is their reaction to you. Which I don't think has anything to do with religion anyway, that is simply as you said how THE MAJORITY OF THE POPULATION feels, and not just in the US but most of the world.

I would get a good laugh if some serious religious nuts posted on this site

Since this seems to have come up repeatedly, I'm pretty much a religious nut myself, so... everybody laugh I guess?

"Very religions people" <> "Conservative" But anyway, back to the topic.

It's just the culture swaying back and forth. It does that - always has, always will. When I was back in kindergarten, I regularly walked a couple of blocks to school and back either by myself or with a friend. These days, parents will drive their kids just down the street up through 6th grade in neighborhoods that are just as safe as mine was back then. The "helicopter parents" will not stand for ANYTHING that MIGHT put their precious children at risk! 'Bad movies' count under that category.

And yet games don't. Most of them still don't seem to keep their kids off M rated games. Do they not know what "M" means? Do they not know how sophisticated games have become? Do they think a quick, 2-hour movie is going to have more influence than a 30+ hour game? I've got no clue.

P.S. I still feel sorry for those poor baby dragons! They're just following their nature, you didn't have to kill them! The least you could have done was clean them and eat them for supper.

Funny to me that Aubrielle thanks CelticFrost's post about evil censorship when she want to censor games based on even the TONE of the game to be more in line with her feminist politics :lol:

So basically sex at every corner is good for games and movies but political deviance must be quashed. Well, I hate to break it to you but freedom of speech is not about pedophilia with elves, it's about political freedom - ie there IS no political 'correct'. Societes like that are fascist/communistic/etc. don't fool yourself.

Since this seems to have come up repeatedly, I'm pretty much a religious nut myself, so… everybody laugh I guess?

I have seen people complain about the single pixel nudity of the nagas in master of magic. To me that is crazy and I don't see you do anything like that as many real life people do. Like I said I think anyone who would do that is probably not going to play an RPG in the first place though, as magic and stuff probably seems satanic to them - as many people have told me in real life.

Making things up about people and drawing conclusions based on that, somehow doesn't make what you say that meaningful.

Making things up about people and drawing conclusions based on that, somehow doesn't make what you say that meaningful.

Is this aimed at me? Well, like I said, you accuse HHR of trolling when he is basically "average adult on planet earth" when it comes to not wanting nudity etc. so don't say I am making up anything.

Many people are much more extreme. It's pathetic anyone gets worked up by what he says or disbelieves it.

Funny to me that Aubrielle thanks CelticFrost's post about evil censorship when she want to censor games based on even the TONE of the game to be more in line with her feminist politics

Of course, in no case is customer feedback "censorship".

And it's very easy to consider yourself and people like you the default "average adult on planet earth" — until you meet a few other earthlings.

Conversely, forums are by and large not an accurate representation of the values of the average Joe, as people part of these communities will have more hedonistic and libertarian values. This average Joe is many and a part of this free society, just like you. As a gamer I'm probably no exception to a lot of this, but as I became a father this side of me has been progressively diminishing.

You might find the movie ratings very restrictive in the US, but it should be noted that they have no legal value at all, it is simply industry and movie theater/retailer self-regulation. It is not like in other parts of the world, such as Quebec, where the ratings are given by the government and it is actually illegal for these industries to let underage people see them, although such ratings tend to be much more permissive. I think France has by far the most permissive ratings in the world. Access certainly isn't a problem nowadays anyway for the determined youngster, in the age of Bittorrent and YouTube.

I'm not even sure that the rise of PG-13 is due to any moral prudishness. The truth is that theaters have been progressively losing mindshare to mediums like the Internet, DVD/Blu-ray/Netflix, and videogames. As such making a big budget R movie has become a risky proposition when that audience is the most interested in these new horizons and doesn't patronize you anymore. The majors have become risk averse when this happens and costs keep ballooning, so their products become much tamer to get a wider distribution.

PG-13 is about profit almost exclusively. The majors have always been risk averse, that's the Hollywood way. But greed is a very powerful drive, and it's the only thing that trumps risk aversion in Hollywood, which is why there IS the occasional risk.

Denying nature is not the same as being crass and subhuman just because at every turn, everyone swearing constantly and doing drugs. Basically just a least common denominator shit-culture that is incredibly pathetic. BBC used to be great 20 years ago, now it is simply cesspool of disgusting amorality and political propaganda - and worse of all, it's simply utter crap.

Monty Python was already doing over-the-top parodies of that, just watch their Flying Circus.

Not too long ago "dick" and a couple other words became common on US tv, and then not surprisingly it's become much more braindead since then.

Ironically, the word "dick" means just simply "thick" in German language.

I don't seek to eliminate them but previously it was contained so if you want to watch tv with kids that isn't some teletubbies crap you didn't have to constantly worry.

Interestingly it's always the adults who hate the Teletubbies, not the children !

Plus there is a big push to include all kinds of gender, drug, and race issues that are a bit too adult for kids to be looking at (not to mention often propaganda oriented).

In German language, the word "propaganda" is to 90 % a "banned word", because it was used by the Nazis and it is forever linked with then because of that.Only in recent times younger generations don't look that much negatively onto that word.

I took some of my siblings family to see transformers. Some mild violence and cool cartoon stuff is what I expected to see. Instead I got some drug addled crap and all kinds of retardation they really didn't need to be seeing.

To be frank : I hated transformers even as a kid. I just don't know why. I just hated them. I rather liked those weird looking Star Wars creatures (I think the word "aliens" didn't have that meaning then (late 70s, early 80s).

In europe the belief seems to run that americans are big prude
Yes, we Germans indeed believe so. At least as far as I know.

but ironically I think what we actually want is some real content and culture and not just a bunch of idiots flinging poo at the screen. I think R movie stuff is good too and I don't care about nudity much, but a lot of stuff that should have remained outside children's programming has crept in, and a lot of stuff on prime time tv is a lot more inappropriate for children than mere nudity would be. When you are trying to get kids to behave, language especially is something you don't want to see on tv.

We Germans are far more worried regarding violence, the reason why this is might be to be found here :

I totally agree - though I think it makes sense in the context of America … we are militarized to the point where cops/troops in full armor with guns up in front of an unarmed civilian with hands up is a 'meh' occurrence,

Military, and thus, violence, seems to be far more accepted in the U.S. as "means to solve problems", whereas we Europeans - and because of WWII especially we Germans are rather the Diplomats - who are often far too helpless in that role. How Serbia and the other countries in that war played with European Diplomarts was just shameful. I'm so much ashamed about the fact that Natioonalists were able to kill so many people the Europeans had to protect - the Srebrenica Massacre was especially disturbing for any oned of us.
I felt like being personally (and represented by helpless, inactive politicians) tricked by bloodlusty nationalists. I have strong prejudices against the countries involved in that war since then.

Worst thing to me is being a sensitive person - meaning that I sense things most other people just don't sense. I constantly get the feeling as if I was living in an far too violent world, I must admit. It's just because I sense so much.

Back
Top Bottom