Ebay has been hacked

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Hello,

today I read in the newspaper and elsewhere that Ebay hads been hacked - late February or early March. But only now they admit it.

PLEASE CHANGE YOUR EBAY PASSWORD IMMEDIATELY !

And if you might use it elsewhere as well
(which you of shouldn't),
then change that, too !

And please change your ebay security question or how it is called as well.

Alrik

Thanks for the info - password and security question -> changed.

Last edited:
I don't use ebay. Only aliexpress.
Too scared of possible scams.

The attack occurred “between late February and early March” the online auction house said in a blog post, but was only discovered in the past two weeks.

I'm not detecting anything remotely snarky from Alrik so I don't have a clue where you're coming from Thrasher.
The article said two weeks ago. Two weeks is two weeks and I would have liked the press release to be within a day or two so I could change my password as soon as possible.

Or maybe it took them two weeks to consult their legal firm to make sure all bases are covered. I'm not good with that.

I don't use Ebay either, but I think taking so long to discover/report the hack is cause for concern!!

The larger revelation here is : Arlek actually still reads a paper newspaper?

I never liked eBay so used this as an excuse to delete my account.

I'm not detecting anything remotely snarky from Alrik so I don't have a clue where you're coming from Thrasher.
The article said two weeks ago. Two weeks is two weeks and I would have liked the press release to be within a day or two so I could change my password as soon as possible.

They had to determent the extent of the hack. 2 weeks does seem a bit long. That I agree with. But what I didn't like is the implication that they had known about about it for months.

They had to determent the extent of the hack. 2 weeks does seem a bit long. That I agree with. But what I didn't like is the implication that they had known about about it for months.

Ebay's own press release dated the 21st specifically says the attack took place between late february and early march.

Not accurate. They just discovered the hack. But feel free to ladle irrationality on anything non-German…

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/21/ebay-hack_n_5364505.html

According to Newspapers, it was diswcovered a few weeks ago, and then they "investigated". But feel free to ladle irrationally on anything non-English.

Ebay's own press release dated the 21st specifically says the attack took place between late february and early march.

Which settles the case.

I guess some boss is worried that they might sound a false alarm so they want to be 100% sure they are hacked and the impact of the hack before they inform.

Which is kind of stupid because users with stolen account information would be in trouble, long before they knew anything about that.

Better safe than sorry. They could have issued an e-mail right away with "we suspect on stolen data so please change your pass and security answer". Noone would object.

There definitely seems to be an English comprehension problem in this thread. How could eBay have notified users 2 months ago if they weren't aware of it?

Wonder if legislation will ever evolve to give more reasons to companies to prevent stuff like that. As it stands the first to always be damaged by this week's database hacks are the customers.

There definitely seems to be an English comprehension problem in this thread. How could eBay have notified users 2 months ago if they weren't aware of it?

Then YOU should be concerned that they WEREN'T aware of it for such a long period of time!!

Back
Top Bottom