Mass Effect - Movie Deal Signed

The reason I personally prefer non-linear games, is because I like the "game" aspects - and not the traditionally movie/book aspects of games.

And I've identified myself as someone who enjoys the movie/book aspect more than then game aspect. :) I love cut-scenes. I think adventure games are awesome, etc. But I like both. For immersion and exploration, sand-box games are brilliant. I guess I just never understood how a gamer can like sometimes one way and dismiss everything else. (Granted, this is a assumption, but it seemed that way...)

I think the first Tomb Raider movie wasn't too bad, for what it was. Although I have to admit I like the movie for about the same reason I like the games. DON'T TELL THE WIFE!!!

In general, I think movies based on games, and games based on movies are … somewhat … lacking ... in several departments.

I'm a bit curious about the last Alone in the Dark which at least from the cover (an excellent mr Reeves look alike) seems to be a game based on the movie based on the game series.

The game "Plumbers don't wear ties" - released many years ago, got 3% in PC Format, consisted of little more than a series of pictures and "press key to continue" (You got 2 choices, only one of them was correct). Read about it on Wikipedia. While not exactly a movie game, at least a slideshow with buttons, so close enough.

And for what game I really would want to see based on a movie: "Plan 9 from outer space".

And I've identified myself as someone who enjoys the movie/book aspect more than then game aspect. :) I love cut-scenes. I think adventure games are awesome, etc. But I like both. For immersion and exploration, sand-box games are brilliant. I guess I just never understood how a gamer can like sometimes one way and dismiss everything else. (Granted, this is a assumption, but it seemed that way…)

I don't dismiss anything really, I just prefer what I prefer ;)

I like a good linear game on occassion, just like I enjoy a good movie or a book.

So, maybe it's not so much that I don't enjoy linear games - and I think Mass Effect is a great linear interactive movie, it's just that I find it…. annoying, that games are being made into something that I don't think they should really be.

It wouldn't be so bad if we had lots of non-linear CRPGs to choose from, but unfortunately we don't, because the genre is incredibly challenging to pull off.

If the AAA guys worked harder to COMBINE the strengths of games and movies - then I'd be in heaven, but Bioware seems pretty determined to make movies, rather than games.

Nothing wrong with that, mind you, it's just not the way I would have wanted it to go.

And for what game I really would want to see based on a movie: "Plan 9 from outer space".

There already is one :):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_9_from_Outer_Space_(video_game)

Has there ever been a good movie based on a computer game?

Of course!

267592_det.jpg

It might turn out to be decent, but nothing within Mass Effect provides material for a great science fiction movie.

Really? What about discovery of Mass relays, First Contact War, creation of Geth and their rebellion, Quarins and their migrant fleet, Genocide of Krogans, life-cycle of Asari…and many others? There are so many interesting concepts and ideas within ME universe which can be turned into plot elements for a movie.. all they need is an expert story / screenplay writer who can cohesively combine these for a great science fiction movie.

Mass Effect: The Movie, A.K.A. Mass Effect 3

That's what I was thinking.

If they manage to make it even slightly different for each viewer depending on the choices they made in ME2 I'll definitely go see it.

Really? What about discovery of Mass relays, First Contact War, creation of Geth and their rebellion, Quarins and their migrant fleet, Genocide of Krogans, life-cycle of Asari…and many others? There are so many interesting concepts and ideas within ME universe which can be turned into plot elements for a movie..

Perhaps we have different concepts of "great". Mass Effect has a rich background, which is unusual for computer games, but none of these ideas are really new, and the main plot of the games is even quite poor. As I said, you could turn it into a decent movie. I would like the writers to focus on the less used ideas, like the Genophage.

Bioware seems pretty determined to make movies, rather than games.

See, and I have a problem with that description. Mass Effect is more a game with interactive cut-scenes. There's arguing that interactive cut-scenes are simply categorized as movies, but you just dismissed the whole other side of the game. There is still a shooter/RPG hybrid in there, too. :)

See, and I have a problem with that description. Mass Effect is more a game with interactive cut-scenes. There's arguing that interactive cut-scenes are simply categorized as movies, but you just dismissed the whole other side of the game. There is still a shooter/RPG hybrid in there, too. :)

It's the bit I refer to as interactive ;)

I know it's a harsh description, but it expresses how I feel about it.

The actual gameplay of Mass Effect I find incredibly boring and bland. The story, atmosphere, and overall quality of immersion is VERY high - so the "game" is great.

But it's just not very good as a gamey game ;)

Perhaps we have different concepts of "great". Mass Effect has a rich background, which is unusual for computer games, but none of these ideas are really new, and the main plot of the games is even quite poor. As I said, you could turn it into a decent movie. I would like the writers to focus on the less used ideas, like the Genophage.

For me, the greatness would depend on how they represent the said idea and not merely on how novel is it. Even if *some* of the concepts aren't new, they sure seem interesting to me. Of course, YMMV.

The actual gameplay of Mass Effect I find incredibly boring and bland. The story, atmosphere, and overall quality of immersion is VERY high - so the "game" is great.

But it's just not very good as a gamey game ;)

But even those cut-scenes are more than a movie! I thought the way they included your previous choices from the first game was very well done. Even your choices of dialogue and the left/right trigger interruptions are a step up from simply watching a movie. That those actions don't amount to very much different outcomes (either immediate or later on) is just unfortunate, but they *do* affect the feel and atmosphere of the game. It's better than in some other RPGs, where for example you say something evil and the character stops talking to you! How's that a cool consequence?

Oh, well. It's an endless discussion that's been held countless times before. :) I'm gonna put in the Red Dead Redemption DVD and forget all about Mass Effect!

Mass Effect has a rich background, which is unusual for computer games, but none of these ideas are really new, and the main plot of the games is even quite poor.

Why does everything have to be new? It's not necessarily an "Avatar" (which I admit, I could not stand, story-wise) if some elements are reused. I don't mind if elves/dwarves in a fantasy movie are what you'd expect. Having read the Mass Effect books, I feel that the universe has a bit of a distinct feel, certainly not unique (and I've not read that much fantasy, I'm afraid), but seeing it explode on the screen could be really fun. There *is* a ton they could do with the franchise.

Back
Top Bottom