JADE - 0.2.0 Released

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Resident roguelike fan getter77 sends word that JADE - the Java implementation of ADOM - has reached v0.2.0:
After almost three months I'm proud to announce the release of JADE 0.2.0. This release marks a major and very important milestone for JADE in the quest to succeed ADOM.
JADE 0.2.0 is the first JADE release that I dare to call a "real game". It's still pretty limited when comparing it to ADOM content-wise but the rate of advancement is amazing to me (almost 20.000 lines of pure Java code added in 10 weeks, not counting comments and other stuff - I'll post an interesting statistic concerning that, soon). Additionally JADE 0.2.0 sports a number of features that already lift it above and beyond ADOM as those things would be pretty hard to add to ADOM. So here are the highlights of the 0.2.0 release, the detailed list comes next:

• Quests that provide a "winning condition"
  • Addition of all the races from ADOM plus three new classes (tinkers, thieves and commoners besides fighters)
  • Multi-classing (yeah - very cool once more classes are there)
  • A construction and processing system that allows many modifications to the environment (and can be trivially extended once ideas start flowing from the community)
  • Many many new interaction means with the environment
  • About 100 new base item types as well as more than two dozen new monsters
  • Liquids, environmental effects, many new powers and abilities, an animation system, etc. pp.
More information.

No screenshots. Is it ASCII?

Its ASCII, basically same as ADOM (which is great)

I admit , still didnt give it a go.

I'm still going to play ADOM until this gets farther along.

Stone Soup and Jade seem be to getting a lot of love from the devs lately. The Stone Soup devs are updating the game as fast as they can and now JADE's been improved. Actually I don't know that much about JADE because I prefer plain ol' ADOM, but I'll keep an eye on it.

JADE started out the public life updating at a rapid pace a few bits and pieces at a time. That kicked on for awhile until various things went awry and things got built up---hence the 3 month'ish gap in JADE releases that resulted in this, the largest release of it yet compared to the first one that had it exist outright.

As far as I know, this is still the general shake of things to come as roughly intended:

http://www.ancientdomainsofmystery.com/2011/09/current-release-plan-for-jade.html#more

Back
Top Bottom