BattleTech - Interview @ MMO RPG

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Robert Lashley has interviewed the staff of Harebrained Schemes about their upcoming Kickstarter BattleTech:
MMORPG: It’s been over 20 years since we last saw a PC game based on the BATTLETECH brand. You are in the position to introduce an entirely new generation to the series. Can you give a quick rundown on what BATTLETECH is?

HAREBRAINED SCHEMES: BattleTech is the story of warring noble houses fighting for hundreds of years to claim the throne of the Star League, an interstellar empire covering most of human-colonized space.

This all-consuming interstellar war is waged by MechWarriors, elite knights and nobles who pilot mankind’s most powerful and versatile fighting machine - the BattleMech - adaptable to every planetary environment and armed with enough firepower to level a small city. With technology in decline after a thousand years of war, ‘Mechs are precious, rare, and prized possessions, handed down from generation to generation.

MMORPG: What is your favorite thing about BATTLETECH?

HBS: It’s the contrasts of the BattleTech Universe - the stories of MechWarriors fighting for control of a single battlefield, while the nobles manipulate court politics for control of hundreds of worlds.

(We also love the idea that the older the tech, the more advanced it is. After centuries of war, a lot has been lost.)

MMORPG: In the past there has been some controversy over the use of images. What kind of impact does that have on your art team? Are we going to see the original Mechs or do you plan to go in an entirely new direction?

HBS: Whatever controversy there was regarding images from Southern Cross and Macross was settled over a decade ago, so there will be no impact on our art team.

MMORPG: There have been board games, pen and paper RPG’s, and collectable card games based on BATTLETECH. What style of game will this be?

HBS: Harebrained Schemes’ BATTLETECH features an open-ended Mercenaries-style campaign that blends RPG ‘Mech and MechWarrior management with modern turn-based tactics. These two elements, solid storytelling and turn-based tactics, are at the core of our Shadowrun series and we are excited to bring them to BattleTech.

MMORPG: Other than the obvious answer, giant robots, what is so compelling for you about BATTLETECH?

HBS: The thing that we love most about BattleTech is that the ‘Mechs are essentially the armored warhorses of feudal warriors vying for an interstellar throne. Although most people come to BattleTech for the ‘Mechs, they stay for the story. The Machiavellian conflicts of the BattleTech Universe have kept players engaged for over 30 years now.

MMORPG: What lessons did you learn from the Shadowrun and Golem Arcana kickstarters that you will apply towards the development of BATTLETECH?

HBS: The “6 P Principal” - Proper Prep Prevents Piss Poor Performance. The key is not biting off more than you can chew or overcommitting your studio. Kickstarters can be extremely exciting and it’s easy to get swept up in the joy of co-funding a game with a passionate audience. This can lead to scope creep as well as rewards and stretch goals that prove challenging to deliver.

Our relationship to our Backers is a critical component of the process and we believe that being up-front with them about what we can and cannot do is vital to a maintaining a healthy relationship. Kickstarter is more than just funding for us. It’s a way to stay close to the people who play our games throughout development, not just after we ship.

MMORPG: The Shadowrun: Hong Kong Kickstarter was to help add features to the final product. Is that going to be the case for this Kickstarter or is development entirely dependent upon its success?

HBS: Like Shadowrun: Hong Kong, we’re going to co-fund development of BattleTech with our Backers. Unlike Shadowrun: Hong Kong, BattleTech will be starting from a completely new code-base, so it requires a much larger initial budget. We're asking Backers to help co-fund the initial creation of the title with us, much like a traditional publisher might. We will also be presenting a variety of stretch goals which Backers can help fund to expand the game.

MMORPG: Is there any other thing that we haven’t talked about yet that you would like our readers to know?

HBS: Yes. When we told the studio we got the rights to make a turn-based BattleTech game, everyone broke out in loud spontaneous applause. Just like Shadowrun, Harebrained Schemes is filled with people who are super-passionate about BattleTech and many of us grew up playing it. We are thrilled that we have an opportunity to to make it.

MMORPG: Makes sure you check out HBS’s new website for future details: http://battletechgame.com/
More information.

So they develop a new engine for this game.

I was really planning not to back any more Kickstarters this year as I really cannot afford to... but this sounds pretty great and HBS has proven they deliver, so perhaps I will end up backing at the digital copy tier.

I was really planning not to back any more Kickstarters this year as I really cannot afford to… but this sounds pretty great and HBS has proven they deliver, so perhaps I will end up backing at the digital copy tier.
Lol I was thinking the same. I was planning to buy Siege of Dragonspear (which was also a new thing added) and than say that is it for this year. But this KS, if the pitch video will be good I am not sure if I will be able to not pitch in. Especially since it is from Harebrained, their track record so far is awesome in my eyes.

I'll be pledging this one too, I think. I love the battletech tabletop game,
but most PC implementation have had real time action. I'm glad to see a competant
developer like HBS doing this, and I like that they are implementing the game
mechanics and not just the universe.

I'll be pledging this one too, I think. I love the battletech tabletop game,
but most PC implementation have had real time action. I'm glad to see a competant
developer like HBS doing this, and I like that they are implementing the game
mechanics and not just the universe.

This game will be TB.

Harebrained proved that they can deliver a good story and a nice atmosphere. So, i'm looking forward to this. Will even add some moeny to the KS. MechWarriors and MechCommander series were fun, but none ever used the tabletop mechanics. This game will, so is prolly a no-brainer that it's an insta-buy for the fans of the tabletop.

P.S.: would also love to see a new game in the Crimson Skies universe, but i don't think that's gonna happen anytime soon.

P.S.: would also love to see a new game in the Crimson Skies universe, but i don't think that's gonna happen anytime soon.

I guess you mean this Crimson Skies? Man, I played the hell out of that game…the PC version, of course. An arcade flyer, yes, but it was a lot of fun and, most imprtantly, had awesome atmosphere, so to speak. I'm such a sucker for zeppelins. :)

And take heart. Read the last paragraph of the "development history" section of the wiki. Now, if you follow that footnote, that was seven years ago. But, hey, HBS has done Shadowrun and is now doing Battletech. The guy apparently bought the rights to all three, so maybe Crimson Skies is up next for HBS…all part of his master plan. :)

I'd love to see a turn-based RPG in the Crimson Skies world. I've seen turn-based car combat be very compelling before, I.e. Darkwind, so why not planes? Sid Meier's crew did alright with Ace Patrol, although it was a lightweight mobile game. The turn-based combat worked pretty well, though. Put some more RPG meat on those Ace Patrol bones, and it could have been a hell of a game.

Last edited:
I mean exactly that Crimson Skies. And i liked Ace Patrol. Probably should have my head checked like some of my friends said:p

And a Crimson Skies game can be done in a number of ways, turn based included. Even having a meaty RPG part is not out of the question, as the universe is based on a tabletop game. Which means that pretty much anything goes.

P.S.: thanks for the footnote. Was an interesting reading.

P.P.S.: another thing that Microsoft killed and it was quite interesting: Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends. A forgotten title and universe...Would like to have a digital edition of that game, as my discs are quite scratched by now:(

Being as it will be a new engine, I suspect the amount of content will be more like SR than the later titles in that series. But I won't mind backing it, if it's a single player game. Hopefully they can work out a decent AI for the enemy units.

Back
Top Bottom