Risen Killing Ghouls

matziq

Watcher
Sorry if this is common knowledge.

I found a good method for killing ghouls. Get a crossbow and shoot one...then run and let them chace you. They aren't quick enough to get you. After a bit of running they will let out this scream/yell and stop. Turn around and shoot them.
Rinse/Repeat until dead. Of course, make sure you don't run into an area with other mobs or you will have a whole train of mobs chasing you around.

This trick may work on other things but not black wolves because they run faster than you.

I found a good method for killing ghouls. Get a crossbow and shoot one…then run and let them chace you.

No need to run

Create as much distance as possible between you and the ghoul. Sometimes a certain angle is needed as well. Then, when the bolt hits the ghoul, the ghoul will not move. It doesn't always work, sometimes you'll have to try a second time, sometimes you're just too close. So quicksave before trying to get an easy kill.

Here's a nice strategy that works against almost all creatures in the game, both humanoid and beasts:
- Get rank 6 Axe or rank 8 Swords, so you can use 2H + Shield.
- Start out with a power attack (charged attack) when they are somewhat close (but not on top of you). The power attack has much longer range than most attacks.
- If you want to play safe, start out blocking.
- When you see that he's doing something of a pause in his attacks, jump back once or twice by double tapping S.
- Use the power attack (charged attack).
- Block untill he pauses.
- Jump back once or twice.
- Power attack.
- Repeat.

You can kill anything using that strategy. Ashbeasts, Ghouls, Lizard Elites/Undead/Warriors/Priests, etc etc. It doesn't work without a shield though, since most creatures will simply smack your sword/axe/staff away and hit you. Without a shield, you'd be forced to dodge around a lot more, mostly by moving backwards by constantly double tapping S untill an opportunity presents itself where you can use the power attack.

Generally, the power attack is the key to beating the heaviest monsters around - it's just that much more powerful than other attacks, especially due to its range.

Three shots with a level 10 fireball from a distance works much better :p

Here's a nice strategy that works against almost all creatures in the game, both humanoid and beasts:
- Get rank 6 Axe or rank 8 Swords, so you can use 2H + Shield.
- Start out with a power attack (charged attack) when they are somewhat close (but not on top of you). The power attack has much longer range than most attacks.
- If you want to play safe, start out blocking.
- When you see that he's doing something of a pause in his attacks, jump back once or twice by double tapping S.
- Use the power attack (charged attack).
- Block untill he pauses.
- Jump back once or twice.
- Power attack.
- Repeat.

You can kill anything using that strategy. Ashbeasts, Ghouls, Lizard Elites/Undead/Warriors/Priests, etc etc. It doesn't work without a shield though, since most creatures will simply smack your sword/axe/staff away and hit you. Without a shield, you'd be forced to dodge around a lot more, mostly by moving backwards by constantly double tapping S untill an opportunity presents itself where you can use the power attack.

Generally, the power attack is the key to beating the heaviest monsters around - it's just that much more powerful than other attacks, especially due to its range.

What about woofs, spike rats and boars? They attack you even when you block.

Only boars were able to get under my shield.....and ghouls could simply smash it. Anything else I could block forever.(Early in the game before finding ogres, ashbeast etc. I never tried blocking them. I killed from long range)

With a heavy shield, only boars and ghouls can truly break it. Others can knock it aside for a bit (Ashbeasts for example), but it often causes them to slow down their attacks enough to get the block back up before they attack again.

When Ghouls break it, they use a special attack which takes them a while to charge. This is when you should double tap S and jump backwards, then use your own charged attack to counter them. Ideally, as they jump forward after their "blue ice attack thing", they'll jump straight into the incoming power attack (and get most of their health knocked off in the process).

I haven't had any problems with boars. I think they're easier than wolves. Wolves and vultures, o, I hated them. After reading your info, Maylander, I've payed more attention to blocking. I like it! :)

Ghouls… First I'll try to kill them using the crossbow, no sweat, but if they'll move and come after me, I'll double S + power attack from now on. Thanks Maylander. I read more and more stories that made me wonder whether joining the bandits, for 1st time play, was a wise thing to do. Everyone seems to become a mage. Well, I have explored all but the Monastery, I have sword 6 + ring sword fighting +1, and a rune shield - level 15. At first I thought I was doing okay, but after all these mage stories I doubted whether I'd make it till the end. You gave me hope. :)

My first game was a bandit game. Trust me, once you get access to a good 2H sword to use in combination with a shield, and use the jump-back-power-attack way to kill things, you'll do fine through the rest of the game. It's as easy as playing a mage any day. :)

Back
Top Bottom