D:OS Still crashing after the very first encounter with Evamaria in Cyseal ...

Divinity: Original Sin

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Hello,

After the small quest / encounter with Evamaria in Cyseal, my game repeatedly crashes. CTD type.

I don't know why, but something is supposed to be loaded there - and shortly after or during this loading action my game crashes. 3 times yet, and I don't plan to try it out further on.

Does anyone here know what i could do to prevent these crashes ?

Help is greatly appreciated.

Alrik

Well, first thing is to have the latest video and audio drivers installed. But I think you know that.

Otherwise I suggest you to post your problem on Larian's Technical Issues subforums. While all of Larian seems to be in holiday, there's a guy named Raze who is busy answering all technical issue reports. If there's a simple solution, I guess he's the guy who knows about it.

Old machine? Try with lowering graphics options.
Also, if it's Steam version, please do the data integrity check. If it's not but from GOG, download the whole game again.

I do know Raze from my active time at Larian. He got his own character first tim Beyond Devinity.

He did so much good community work while being jobless at the same time that they promoted hoim, (and hopefully gave him a real job ?) as an forums moderator a few years ago …

And, well, I've got the latest available graphics drivers for my OS - but alas ! the newest ones don't support Windows XP anymore …

I could try lowering the graphics settings, that's a good idea. But … it crashes always just before the action of loading whateveritis ;) is finished …

Spoilerish descrription of my problem :

All I can see is that Evamaria applies her stone, then both main characters seem to die … and then an "homestead" should be loaded, at least that's what I can read from the status messages … It loads, seemingly, everything, full display of the status bar, but JUST when the actual displaying of that "homestead" should be taking place, THEN it crashes, CTD …
This is all I can see for now …

Ah you should have said that before because there is another possibility.
Btw that particular NPC has a different name in english version.

I've suggested file integrity/reinstall and gfx options because:

1. They did change the savegame process and memory usage after the release because of two things (old machines and steam cloud limit) and it's highly possible one of patches didn't "sit" properly. By using the latest install version (if GOG) or data integrity check (if Steam) you'll make sure game files are in correst state.

2. The game uses many different special effects and on old machine with god knows what shader version and etc it's impossible to be sure those will work flawlessly. That's why I've suggested turning gfx options down. Your new info just adds to it. In homestead (end of time) there are plenty of effects and it might have been too much for your machine to swallow on currest settings.

After your additional info there is a third possibility.
There is a huge difference between D:OS engine and some other engines out there. D:OS engine, if stumbles upon a script error will crash the game.
Infinity engine as an opposite example, won't crash the game in case of a script error but will shut down only that particular script and try to run it again on area transition.
A proper example is Bodhi not appearing in BG2 due to script error bug - BG2 just kills the area local script on certain error. If that script was in D:OS, the reports would be "my game crashes in area where Bodhi should show herself to you for the first time". This was never officially patched, but it's a part of SoA fixpack mod (sorcerers.net).

For all I know, the latest D:OS game version addressed every reported script error, but there is a side problem. Patches DO NOT change your savegame data!
It is possible that the cause of the script error is actually a part of your savegame(s)!
Luckily you said where the cash happens, so - we edit the save! :D
No cheating, just trying to fix it.

On my machine savegames are in this folder:
C:\Users\Joxer\Documents\Larian Studios\Divinity Original Sin\PlayerProfiles\Joxer\Savegames\

Since you're on winXP, you'll probably have them in …My Documents\Larian Studios\Divinity…
So find that folder and then backup the most recent savegame folder. Means, copypaste it somewhere else, on desktop for example.
After that, go to LevelCache subfolder and delete the file named homestead.lsb

Here's the pic which sums up where's the homestead cached file that might have been corrupted:
2h5jhn6.jpg

After you delete it, run the game and try to go to Homestead. The game will recreate the lsb file again, let's hope it won't crash.

Thank you very much. I will try this out. What's her name in the English version, by the way ? You know, she is that "apprentice healer" in Cyseal ... She 's in the same house like the "full fledged healer" ( ;) ) who constantly fails to give back a book to the Library ... ;)

Evelyn.

Strange. That's a pretty normal German name, too.

Update : No homestead.* file to be found.

I cannot find the game's files anyway. I hate Steam installations because of that : They hide everything so much ...

All I could find were my "player profile" files.

Is XP supported ?

Steam stores everything in its folder no ? Except save games, don't forget to show hidden files

Eh can't help there. We ditched XP on my work ages ago, I don't have it at home and neither do my friends.

If noone comes with the solution, the only option left is official support.

I already contacted them; I think I should write them another mail with more details.
Meanwhile I'm doing very good progress elsewhere within the environments of Cyseal … ;)

Alrik the best option for you is to save some money over the next months and buy a decent Win 7 machine.

Or a win8 system ;)

Off topic: Alrik, is it worthwhile to play the dark eye ? Or jump straight into memoria ? It's my first time in the setting

The Dark Eye has 20 years of history. Or is it 30 already ? Its setting is very detailed, the only drawback is that the cuirrent rules are imho quite math-heavy …

Besides, I'm waiting for an reply by Larian now ...

Got it somewhat solved via turning the "model quality" or how it is called from "high" into "normal". Everything runs smoothly now - apart from the still occational crashes when trying to save ...

Back
Top Bottom