Problem with hd/drive geometry

mprod

Sentinel
Hi

Short background:
My computer has slowly disintegrated and I finally understood that the problem was the powersupply I have now belatedly upgraded it and almost everything works better than ever.

Except for one hard drive the one I access the most (except the systemdrive)

Partion Magic gives the following error:

“Disk 1 (19607MB 39838c 16h 63s) appears to have partitions created using a different drive geometry (255h 63s). This serious problem can lead to data loss. No partition manipulations should be made to the disk using this product or the operating system's products. You should back up the data on this disk, delete all partitions, create new partitions under the new drive geometry, and then restore the data using the backup”

Taken from: http://hubpages.com/hub/Drive-Geometry-Error-and-Partition-Recovery
(For me it´s disk 9)

I have done everything recommended at that link, backup etc, and it doesn´t fix the problem

What I want to do is erase all partions on the disk everything and then make one new one that encompassess the whole disk
Neither partion magic or fdisk allows me to do this

If anyone have any suggestions...

M

I stopped using Partition Magic years ago.
What Version of PM are you using and what OS are you running?

To Repartition and Resize the Drives I would probably recommend Acronis Products, Disk Director and True Image have never failed me , I've been using them for years.

For your purposes you probably only need Disk Director.

Is it possible that this HD needs special drivers to be properly accessed ? Something like … a special Geometry like with the newest Terabyte-HDs which cannot be used with older systems because they're just too big ?

If you're using Windows, you don't need any sort of third party app to delete, create, and format partitions. Just use "Disk Management." I believe it's been standard with the OS since Windows XP.

…it should be noted, however, that if one of the drive's partitions contains the OS itself, you'll need to do a reinstall of Windows (and Windows setup should give you the option to delete and format the partition(s) prior to copying of files).

diskpart has always existed in dos/windows and works just as well today as it did 20 years ago. Simple no frills but effective in reformatting a drive for use in windows. Use SystemRescueCD if its not windows though I suspect it is. Good thing about the wizards is it is tougher to make a disastrous mistake like wiping the wrong drive.

The wizards in windows will basically do the same thing as diskpart. If you have already backed up the the whole drive then just wipe and do the lowest level reformat you can. It will take a while. Unfortunately geometry errors could be something worse such as virus or controller card failure. Another reason to full wipe the drive. Though for virus that should be done with a boot disk.

Thanks for the tips

With the help of Diskpart I was finally able to delete the messed up partition and now it seems to work.
I didn´t know about diskpart have only used fdisk and partionmagic before

Will look into Arconis as well migth be good to have for the future

Thanks again
M

Back
Top Bottom