GameSpot - Layoffs

aries100

SasqWatch
In the words of Nich Maragos: "Hey, you know how you can tell game journalists aren't on the take from publishers? Because THEY'RE CONSTANTLY BEING LAID OFF."

Sadly finding anything worth spending my time on Gamespot became a rare thing.
In fact a month can pass me not visiting that site at all.

Sorry, but I will not miss any of fired staff.

Well, perhaps they won't miss you either.

:lol:

I know a few people who work/used to work either for sites like this one, and believe me -- their own contempt for the shallow listicles and other empty clickbait that's taken over gaming journalism is greater than ours as readers could ever be.

You mean playing games for real instead of writing what's paid for by publishers? :evilgrin:

I wonder how profitable sites like Gamespot are? Apparently less than they used to be given these layoffs, but they also used to offer a subscription service. They are still the biggest name in reviews, so I would be really curious to find out how much one of their journalists makes.

Well if I could get paid well for playing games, I guess I wouldn't worry about who's writing the checks. ;) :blush:

You say that, and then you are forced in to 15-20 hours with Sacred 3, and you wonder why can't I be cleaning a toliet instead? :)

You know, I've been fired a bunch of times. Strangely, I never felt the need to post about it on the Internet....or does that just now count? :p

I used to be a part of the press. My friend and editor took on a column reviewing PC games, as he was an avid gamer back before it was fashionable. He said writing reviews of games sucked all the fun out of playing them, even the good ones, as it turned the experience into a mere analytical exercise.

Kinda sad I have to read about this here. Gamespot has nothing about this.
You know, I've been fired a bunch of times. Strangely, I never felt the need to post about it on the Internet….or does that just now count? :p
People tweet about what they have for breakfast - I think getting fired would definitely count as postable (postible? postworthy?) today.

People tweet about what they have for breakfast - I think getting fired would definitely count as postable (postible? postworthy?) today.

Yeah, you got me there. I'm a crotchety old man. I don't tweet or post Facebook status updates. I truly don't understand the source of this endless spring of self importance so many people seem to be drowning in. I'm sure I have my moments, too, but I guess I've never felt the need to broadcast them to the world.

At least they kept the guy that gave D:OS a 9/10.

Gamespot was a great site back in the late 90's and early 2000's. I do not even have it bookmarked now.

I know a few people who work/used to work either for sites like this one, and believe me — their own contempt for the shallow listicles and other empty clickbait that's taken over gaming journalism is greater than ours as readers could ever be.
This chap is really slowwww.

Back
Top Bottom