Alpha Prime

curiously undead

tuned to a different freq
i played the demo many months ago and when i heard it was going to be realeased on totalgaming i was excited.

finished it in 2 days after it came out last week and it was one of the shortest pc gaming experiences i've had but also it had zero drop in a pleasuable gaming experience. it was under 15 hours i'd say with 10 fairly long levels.
its a well done sci-fi shooter that doesn't feel "consoly" which is rare these days and has a pretty interesing and unique (though hardly epic) story that has far better voice acting than the demo leads you to believe. the weapons are pretty standard and its got a not to original slow mode that is stored through needles you can pick up. the cool thing about it though is the levels both indoor an outdoor really make you feel like you are on a mining colony on an asteroid. there is a gameplay elemement where when you are outside you have to moniter you oxygen levels and make sure you fill back up every 30 seconds or so which really comes into play in the one super long level that takes place nearly entirely outside. you do have a vehicle though that restores oxygen when you are inside but it is weaponless. i highly recommend checking out the demo if you like space/sci fi games from the first person perspective. easily worth the 20 bucks or 2 tokens in my opinon. the ending is one of the "best" i've seen in a while though its making me ancy for a sequel!

Not too bad ... definitely worth the $20. This is one that will get missed by most due to the many 'big name' shooters out... but it is better than TimeShift as I mentioned.

Not too bad ... definitely worth the $20. This is one that will get missed by most due to the many 'big name' shooters out... but it is better than TimeShift as I mentioned.

So TimeShift is even worse than this?

Not that Alpha Prime is horrible, but it definitely has that budget look and feel to it, I couldn't even bring myself to finish the demo. I was going to try the demo to TimeShift as well, but now I'm guessing that it's not even worth the 1gig+ download.

Too many games to play anyways, my girlfriend surprised me with a copy of Crysis:CE yesterday, and I just won a new copy of Gears of War on Ebay last night.

I'm putting in my GamerDad review today, but essentially Timeshift is unfocused, sloppy, bereft of story, and feels like a one trick pony with pre-HL2 gameplay that was dressed up for 'Next Gen'.

Back
Top Bottom