Buying an iPhone 6...

P

pibbur who

… but where.

My olde trusty iPhone 5, is not so trusty anymore since I (unfortunately) dropped it in the toilet (I may have told you about that). I sort of got it working, but eventually it's clear that it doesn't always, quite often actually, perform as expected from a cell phone (and by that I'm talking about it's use as a phone. Phonegames work just fine - please excuse the obvious joxer bait), And my marriage can only survive so much "why do you never answer the phone" and "why don't reply to my messages". So it has to go. The guy at the apple-store in Bergen informed me that unfortunately the warranty doesn't cover invasion of sewage into the machinery.

Before said (unfortunate) close encounter with basic nature, it worked very fine and I was quite happy with it. Therefore, for partly rational, partly irrational reasons and therefore non-negotiable, I've decided to buy an iPhone 6. 128 GB. Not the +.

They're out of stock in the apple store here in Bergen, and the non-apple stores only wants to sell it with a new subscription, and then only the 16 Gb version.

I can order it on line from apple.

Or…

Considering that I next Friday am going to San Antonio, TX, I might just as well buy it there?

There may be a couple of thechnical details to consider, such as will an american born iPhone work in enlightened Norway? The question has some relevance, since the US for some reasons do some things differently than where I am at the moment of writing.

But most of all, I would like to know how much the gadget (from hell) would cost at one of the Apple boutiques over there, BestBuy, Honest Ed's, wherever?

pibbur who to his delight discovered that the picture of the day when he opened the watch just now was from PS:T.

Last edited:
I am not sure how the selling process will work at some of the other stores, but I know you can now buy a SIM free version from an Apple Store and put in your own SIM. That is pretty much what I did so I could stay off contract with my unlimited data ... Paid full price and popped in my existing SIM. I have the iPhone 6 128GB, and very much enjoy it!

I am not sure how the selling process will work at some of the other stores, but I know you can now buy a SIM free version from an Apple Store and put in your own SIM. That is pretty much what I did so I could stay off contract with my unlimited data … Paid full price and popped in my existing SIM. I have the iPhone 6 128GB, and very much enjoy it!

How much did you pay?

pibbur

Re buying in US - suggest you check the bands for both 3G and LTE. Also wifi may be on different standards there too. I presume the app store region can be changed easily enough though.

How much did you pay?

pibbur

The price for a no-contract iPhone 6 128GB is $849, and I live in New York which has 8% sales tax, so I ended up paying about $925.

It seems exorbitant, but keeps me in a truly unlimited data plan on the only carrier with strong signal throughout our region (Verizon) ... and they hold value well for resale (unless you drop it in a toilet, or a hot tub - which is what my older son did with his iPhone 5, so he ended up with my old one!)

The price for a no-contract iPhone 6 128GB is $849, and I live in New York which has 8% sales tax, so I ended up paying about $925.

It seems exorbitant, but keeps me in a truly unlimited data plan on the only carrier with strong signal throughout our region (Verizon) … and they hold value well for resale (unless you drop it in a toilet, or a hot tub - which is what my older son did with his iPhone 5, so he ended up with my old one!)

Thanks. I would save a bit more than 100$ if I bought it in the US. Which isn't that much. So I decided to buy it from www.apple.no. Which also saves me from worrying and having to spend a lot of time finding about possibe compatibility problems.

pibbur who expects the phone to arrive next thursday.

Got it yesterday. Synchronizing it now. I've got room for 80 GB music with 30 GB to spare, almost 2/3 of my music collection.

Yay!

pibbur who looks forward for the 256 GB phone, so I can get everything in there.

Last edited:
Got it yesterday. Synchronizing it now. I'm got room for 80 GB music with 30 GB to spare, almost 2/3 of my music collection.

Yay!

pibbur who looks forward for the 256 GB phone, so I can get everything in there.

It is really nice to have all of that room on there for music and photos and videos and ebooks and apps and games galore ... :)

The regular iPhone 6 is much too overpriced, such low pixel pitch and screen size does not cut it. I would get the Plus if I were you. I am satisfied with my purchase.

I think the plus version is too big for a phone, the ordinary one (which I bought) suits me just fine. Heck, I thought the 5 one was fine for what I was using it for.

pibbur who thinks that any iPhone is overpriced, but who still is happy with the ones he's had.

Last edited:
It is really nice to have all of that room on there for music and photos and videos and ebooks and apps and games galore … :)

Yepp, especially since I don't use spotify.

pibbur who can't forgive them (Spotify) for not including every album by Porcupine Tree (last time he checked). Well, he can, but it's one of the reasons he won't trust them to support his music tastes.

People sure require a lot from spotify…… it is seldom I don't find anything there now-a-days.

It's been a while since i checked, i can certainly do it again. I am for instance curious about how many albums they have by Porcupine Tree Magma, Traumhaus, Weidorje, Starring, Papir and The National Orchestra of the United Kingdom of Goats.

Also, are there any major bands not on Spotify: Metallica, King Crimson and one-band-i-can't-rember-the-name-of.

Pibbur who knows that king crimson is not available on itunes and emusic. At least in norway. Last time he checked.

The problem I have with paying for a higher capacity iPhone is that they get obsolete so fast that it quickly gets outrageously expensive. Even if you want to hang on to it for very long Apple quickly released updates that render your phone sluggish and more and more unpleasant to use with weak hardware.

The problem I have with paying for a higher capacity iPhone is that they get obsolete so fast that it quickly gets outrageously expensive. Even if you want to hang on to it for very long Apple quickly released updates that render your phone sluggish and more and more unpleasant to use with weak hardware.

I actually have found that worse with Android ... I have the iPhone 6 and the rest of my crew has iPhone 5 (not 's', the original from 2012) - and it is really not bad at all. In fact, I found that the iPhone 5 performed better than the Galaxy Note 3 I had, especially after an update.

The bigger issue is that Google/handset makers don't update phones very much, so you keep similar performance but never get newer features. Whenever you get a major update ... it is almost always an awful experience. I remember when my Droid 4 (one of my all-time fave phones) got the Android 4 update ... ugh.

I agree. My two year old iphone 5, worked very well until I dropped it in the toilet. Byt pehaps you were thinking of older iphones than that, HHR?

Like the old phone, I've christened my new thingy anhima cornuta, the horned screamer which is a bird with unpleasant vocals.

pubbur whose only complaints about his new iphone 6 is that it is uncomfortable thin, and isn't all black.

Back
Top Bottom