Witcher 3 Share your first impressions

The Witcher 3
Agreed. I wonder if movement is more precise with a controller? And any lag really exacerbates it, pushing me to max framerate at all costs.

I am playing with a control for the first time ever with this type of game and not sure I like it much. Most likely because the only time I use a control is when my children bug me to play NHL with them.

Though it would seem this game is much better suited for a controller I just seem to never hit the right buttons in combat. Though running around and exploring, jumping etc is very easy this way.

I'm going to wait for a volume path and hope they improve the keyboard/mouse UI (not so much key binding but there is some latency and imprecision in movement that I find very very annoying).

From patch 1.03 notes:

"Improves input responsiveness when using keyboard"

Don't know how much of an improvement.

Things which are SLIGHTLY disconcerting to me (and something I will probably get used to) are the lipsync problems. All the characters seems to be still moving their lips for a moment after their line is over...

I'm pleased by what they've said though. They could have said that they have to maintain more or less unified code base across platforms but they seem yo indicate efforts at improving PC version.

Things which are SLIGHTLY disconcerting to me (and something I will probably get used to) are the lipsync problems. All the characters seems to be still moving their lips for a moment after their line is over…

I too mentioned this, on another thread, on how this degrades the immersion. Someone on the other thread said the code determines mouth movement on the fly automatically for most spoken dialogue, because CDP said the cost to manually animate each dialog was prohibitive. It does look like Geralt's lip synching is much better. Perhaps they manually synced him?

Sure looks that way. Will be interesting to check if they did this with other main characters.

Things which are SLIGHTLY disconcerting to me (and something I will probably get used to) are the lipsync problems. All the characters seems to be still moving their lips for a moment after their line is over…

You guys are really hard to please ;)

A great game marred by these sort of things does diminish it somewhat, but it's more of an annoyance knowing it could have been better...

I know I will be very unhappy and delete the game if and when I find Triss she isn't trimmed nicely down there......

CDP seriously needs to nerf some of the abilities in this game or at least swap them around to require higher levels to obtain. Some of the things that are available early on are way too powerful.

That said, this is still easily one of the best games I've played in recent years, and my opinion keeps getting higher the more I play it.

CDP seriously needs to nerf some of the abilities in this game or at least swap them around to require higher levels to obtain. Some of the things that are available early on are way too powerful.

That said, this is still easily one of the best games I've played in recent years, and my opinion keeps getting higher the more I play it.

Are we talking about the talents/skills here? I can barely even find any abilities in there at all. Just a few "alternate spells" and the occasional sword skill. Beyond that it's just a massive number of passive bonuses, and they're mostly quite dull. The armor ones are powerful, but only if you stick to armor type X. As I have no idea what later armors are like, I'm not bothering with them just yet.

Definitely a bit underwhelming when it comes to new and game-changing abilities, but that was always the case with The Witcher. These games are centered around the lore of the Witchers - and it's not a good idea to give them all sorts of lore contradictory powers.

This one seems to have a better system with more depth to it, though.

It's still way to early to talk about balance for me, except that my "gut feeling" is telling me that Blood and Broken Bones is way too easy. It's giving me the same feeling as Skyrim did on the hardest level. As in, it's only hard because I can't take many hits - but if I "game the system" slightly, I can take out pretty much all enemies. But that's only so far, and I've already started over twice - and I'm not far into it.

In White Orchard? Because no NPCs does that so far in my game and I paid extra attention last night after I saw you mention it.

The lipsyncing isn't perfect, but it's very good for a game with this many spoken languages. It ranks above most RPGs, as far as I can see.

It doesn't hurt that everything else about the NPCs looks and sounds amazing.

While I won't disregard the wind and sync issues, I think it's amazing that such things are among the worst flaws people find in the game.

Are we talking about the talents/skills here? I can barely even find any abilities in there at all. Just a few "alternate spells" and the occasional sword skill. Beyond that it's just a massive number of passive bonuses, and they're mostly quite dull. The armor ones are powerful, but only if you stick to armor type X. As I have no idea what later armors are like, I'm not bothering with them just yet.

They can't really add new abilities, since you start out with so many already - attacks, signs, bombs, bow etc. - and it would quickly become unmanageable, especially on consoles. I think the trend in recent games is to go for less abilities, which require greater individual skill, rather than having tons of them as in early MMOs, such as WoW and LOTRO.

While I won't disregard the wind and sync issues, I think it's amazing that such things are among the worst flaws people find in the game.

Have you missed or have you decided to ignore the "SLIGHTLY" bit from my post?

I know I will be very unhappy and delete the game if and when I find Triss she isn't trimmed nicely down there……

She is not trimmed at all, otherwise how will they demonstrate the nvidia hairworks tech? ;)

Back
Top Bottom