Dr Who Game-Unofficial News

magerette

Hedgewitch
I have no clue what genre this new game falls in, so I didn't stick it on the front page, but knowing we have a few Dr Who fans on board, and also seeing some other interesting elements to this title in development, thought I'd post it here.

From games radar:

GamesMaster exclusive deals out info on new Dr Who game
Words: Matt Cundy, GamesRadar UK

18 Dec, 2007

A world exclusive in the latest issue of UK magazine, GamesMaster, reveals the first info on a new - as yet to be officially titled - Doctor Who game from Eidos that mixes the characters of the UK's long-running TV sci-fi series with stat-battling card game, Top Trumps. The game is scheduled for release next spring for DS, PC and PS2.

Up to two players will be able to enter deck battles as the latest Doctor Who, with additional characters - including Martha Jones and Captain Jack - becoming available as play progresses. Each character has their own special ability - the Doctor, for example, can sneak a look at his opponent's cards by bending time.

The game borrows its visual style from the cartoon Doctor Who series, The Infinite Quest (see pic below), with animation studio Firestep apparently working closely with developer Ironstone to achieve a vibrant look for the game.

This definitely seems like it'll be a title that only dedicated Doctor fans will really get excited about, although given that over 650,000 Dr Who Top Trump packs have already been sold there are certainly a few Time Lord loons around.

You can read more about the Doctor Who Top Trumps game in the January 2008 issue of GamesMaster, which is in shops tomorrow.

Huge Dr. Who fan (Kayla and I are planning a marathon of the last three series over Christmas) but I hate that style in the pick. Hate. Hate. Also a bit wary of the game style.

Dr. Who would make a good RPG if done properly...

Actually, many things could make a more than good RPG if done right. I was amazed at what someone did with a Harry Potter game on the GBA to turn it into a more than decent JRPG ... (and do excuse me for the off-topic)

I believe Doctor Who would be more appropriate as an adventure game, actually. The Doctor prefers to use his wits instead of violence to resolve his problems, and often do the kind of stuff we do in those games anyway.

But, a card game? :puke:

The only card games in the video game realm I ever played were Etherlords--which wasn't too bad in the card game face-offs, though the rest of it was pretty sorry-- and Arcomage, the minigame in Might and Magic VII, which was a lot of fun. I have to admit this has a somewhat cheesy look to it though. :)

Ehhh... Games based on television shows never work out, and a card game just sounds terribly tedious, derivative and hugely unimaginative. The last Doctor Who video game didn't fare at all well, and it was far more a "proper" Doctor Who adventure than this card based game.

I agree with Dantre in that an adventure game would suit Doctor Who far more than an RPG. But even then, the great appeal of Doctor Who is, mainly, the character of the Doctor and watching him do his thing. A game doesn't at all allow for that, so much is lost.

Ehhh... Games based on television shows never work out, and a card game just sounds terribly tedious, derivative and hugely unimaginative. The last Doctor Who video game didn't fare at all well, and it was far more a "proper" Doctor Who adventure than this card based game.

I agree, a card based game does sound boring.

What was the last Doctor Who game that you refer to? I wasn't aware that one had ever been made, I would be very interested in checking it out.

What was the last Doctor Who game that you refer to? I wasn't aware that one had ever been made, I would be very interested in checking it out.

It's called Destiny Of The Doctors.

It's one of those games that used live actor video incorporated into the overall game. You can find clips on You Tube. It's kind of a shame, really, as Anthony Ainley turned in a really good performance as The Master, better than some of the television stuff.

The only card games in the video game realm I ever played were Etherlords--which wasn't too bad in the card game face-offs, though the rest of it was pretty sorry-- and Arcomage, the minigame in Might and Magic VII, which was a lot of fun. I have to admit this has a somewhat cheesy look to it though. :)

Well, I recently looked into Etherlords ... And I soon forgot it had cards. Because it looked so much (to me) like a "rtraditional" strategy game like AoW, for example.

What I actually liked *very much* was the "Explaining Game" of the Magic:TheGathering starter pack - it just looks & plays superb, imho.

Too bad that there won't be a full game of it.

Another card game I want to buy in the next time is this one : Höhlenwelt Saga card game

Unfortunately the inventor / author of this fantasy world "Höhlenwelt Saga" ( I try to translate it as "cave world", although that'Äs not quite matching the meaning ... it's a whole world within an enormous cave-like structure, as far as I know) Harald Evers died this year, so I don't know what might happen to this game - and the Saga (only few books were missing from it).

Wikipedia article about it (sorry, no English-language entry there):
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Höhlenweltsaga

Direct link to the card game's site : http://www.hoehlenwelt-game.com/
I fear the game was only released in German language and it might remain so.
There's a link to a demo there, too.

Dr who could be a mix bitwin(?) a rpg and a fps its hard to tell.

If i had to chose -- id chose the movie/not the game

Back
Top Bottom