The Totally NEW Team Corwin Thread

That was my observation as well. I 'z'd up a few of the champions in my run, and saw a few things.

1 - They can have multiple damage-boosting buffs. I don't know how many there are, but if you get several together, especially coupled with instances where a PC might be vulnerable to a specific type of damage (Undead form Wizards and light damage, for example), then I can see where it's possible for the champion to get enough power for a one shot. I never saw more than 3 buffs though at one time, so it may be very specific occurances *coughMirrorforminthenewDeleriumcough*. Of course, higher level champions may be able to spawn with more buffs active.

2 - The buffs themselves are 10 mins. I don't know if they reset upon running out.

3 - They don't always get extra hp. Most, in fact, I fought had the same hp as regular trash. Maybe slightly higher AC.

4 - They don't always get a damage buff. I fought one Trog who had 4 times the hp of nay other mob there, but was no more dangerous than regular ones. Just more tedious. Another was a normal Kobold with blur.

Quite honestly, I don't think it will matter for vets at all, neither adding challenge nor danger to questing on elite, with some rare instances in already difficult quests (In the Flesh endfight). New players maybe, but even then I doubt it. While Fireflash has two past lives, there's no practicle benefit other than an extra +1 to-hit (irrelevant on a full BaB class). She won't get any decent gear until level 4. Heck, she's still using the Ember G-Axe from the Grotto! As long as you don't aggro the entire map, and watch your health, you'll be fine.

The most dangerous will be casters in difficult to reach locations.

Jo & I rolled up some new toons on Cannith, and also decided that TR'ing is doable, but had some different experiences:

1. After repeatedly wiping in one of the quests, we went & got a couple of hirelings. As soon as we got to level 2, we shipped ourselves to the Harbor, & got ourselves a couple of level 2 hirelings. That helped immensely. However we often saw more than 3 buffs, and every single one of them had a damage boost. We saw up to 6 buffs in a few cases, but then one of them would be a debuff.

2. Those are not 10 minute buffs. Look again & watch the counter. They are 10 HOUR buffs. Do players get anything more than a 20 second damage boost?

3. Agreed, though I think we may have seen one or two with much higher HP, but don't really remember at this point.

4. We didn't see a single one without the damage boost. We did see one that had only that, but he was the only one. Some had multiple variants of the same buff (on hit pierce, on hit slash, plus the damage boost.

We did have trouble when 3 champions dropped on top of us in one of the quests … we ended up aborting because they dropped on top of us at the rest/rez shrine, and there was simply no way we could make it past them. We also went really slowly in the quests, checking out what was ahead wherever we could. It was slow & tedious, but we made it through.

I have a friend who got hit by 6 champions in the Cannith Crystal quest. Needless to say, he didn't succeed. And, the champion spawn rates are much higher than they have acknowledged. 50% of the quests we ran had spawn rates that were between 15% and 27%.

Not sure it's going to be a lot of fun playing in it's current state, but that's TBD.

I could have swore I saw the seconds counting down, but they usually died too quickly to really get a good look.

While most of mine had one damage boosting effect, a few did not. I did notice a few debuffs, but I didn't check the mob, I saw it on my own bar.

The spawn rates are much higher than 10%. We saw that when we ran PoP last Friday. IIRC, the entire Risia room was nothing but champions. And your friend isn't the only one I heard of getting all the mobs in Cannith Crystal as champions.

I wonder how monster spawns are normally handled? Is it per group, are the spawned in when the PCs get within a certain range of their spawn location, or does everything in a quest spawn in to start? I think with some adjustments to the champion spawning mechanic, and maybe a limit on the stacking of the buffs, it'll be fine. And have them drop xp orbs or something. Right now they're an annoyance which serves no benefit.

I think the problems you have with champions is also dependent upon character type, how well geared you are and whether you are a TR or not.

When Cm and I played we both managed to get the champions down fast. We were both TR melees with decent dps. A first life caster would probably struggle more because the dps is lower. Hirelings melees can't compensate. Hireling healers can at least keep the PC melees alive.

So I agree that Turbine need to lower the spawn rate and also how many who can spawn in the same battle. I think 2-3 champions should be max per battle on elite.

Cordovan (sp) posted they are collecting data and reading posts to figure out what they need to change on them.
They also said the real intended rewards for killing them will be added in the next hotfix update.
They know that at times some quests spawn far too many or spawn overpowered on shot killers. Bad thing is when you get several of those at one time at end of a quest. Party wipe after all the work sucks.
But at least they acknowledge that it is happening and needs fixing. So we wait and see.

20% Guild Renown Weekend, Champions nerfed & Hot Fix Issued

We have 20% guild renown this weekend, so it might be a good time to run our epics.

The champions have been knocked down in both spawn rates & damage. Haven't seen an horrible ones since they did that.

Oh, there was a hot-fix released this morning, so you may want to get that before we meet up tomorrow night.

For some reason, the stupid school moved tonight's fairyball game to Friday. So that puts me out yet again. Sorry, folks, I really thought I'd make it this week.

I'm definitely out the 26th with parents in town.

I think we're all planning to be 'out' after this week for a couple of sessions.

Yes I think the next two Fridays we can say are a pass.If anyone is free and on we can run alts and do whatever. Reywind will be out I think most of January as well, so we need to discuss that.

There was a hotfix done with a small patch so adjust as needed. Didn't take too long at all.

I haven't seen the cheerleader's schedule for January, so I don't know my situation yet. Unless I'm at a game, I plan to get back into things starting 02JAN15.

I think the hangovers should be done kicking butts by then. lol

We ran a bunch of newer TRs this time, knocking out a few level 2 and most of the level 3 quests. So those absent haven't got anything to catch up on.

I have no real plans next Friday, as my Christmas celebrations happen on Christmas. So I'll probably check in game and see whose on and see whats what.

OK, got the sports schedule for next couple months. I suppose there's no guarantee they'll cheer at every home game on the list, but it's likely. Soooo...
02JAN- clear
09JAN- clear
16JAN- game
23JAN- clear
30JAN- clear
06FEB- game
13FEB and on- clear
Not as bad as I was expecting, all things considered.

So, are paladin and/or barby worth a crap now? I've still got Shadohe stripped and ready for TR, but hadn't decided whether to veer off my dual dwarven axe kensai plan.

Paladins are definitely worth it now.

I put 41 AP's in Knight of the Chalice, some in Human (around 15) and the rest in Sacred Defender. That seems to work very well. You get great survivability and dps as well.

Pure paladin seems to be worth it, at least if you pick human as a race. Then you should have enough feats for THF, sword and board or even TWF. You need to get at least 14 levels into paladin for holy sword, 15 levels if you also want zeal.

There are so many goodies in Knight of the Chalice and Sacred Defender that you really don't need to splash levels int fighter for the feats.

Here are my paladin builds.

Karl Peter. THF human paladin (level 20)
Code:
[u][b]Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 04.23.01[/b][/u]
[url=http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO]DDO Character Planner Home Page[/url]

[B][U]Karl Peter Aspenstein - human[/U][/B]
Level 28 Lawful Good Human Male
(20 Paladin \ 8 Epic) 
Hit Points: 540
Spell Points: 408 
BAB: 20\20\25\30\30
Fortitude: 26
Reflex: 16
Will: 17

[B]                  Starting          Feat/Enhancement
Abilities        Base Stats          Modified Stats
[U](36 Point)[/U]       [U](Level 1)[/U]             [U](Level 28)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=navy]Strength             17                    30
Dexterity             8                    13
Constitution         16                    21
Intelligence         10                    15
Wisdom                9                    14
Charisma             16                    26[/COLOR]

[B][U]Tomes Used[/U][/B]
[COLOR=navy]+1 Tome of Strength used at level 3
+1 Tome of Dexterity used at level 3
+1 Tome of Constitution used at level 3
+1 Tome of Intelligence used at level 3
+1 Tome of Wisdom used at level 3
+1 Tome of Charisma used at level 3
+2 Tome of Strength used at level 7
+2 Tome of Dexterity used at level 7
+2 Tome of Constitution used at level 7
+2 Tome of Intelligence used at level 7
+2 Tome of Wisdom used at level 7
+2 Tome of Charisma used at level 7
+3 Tome of Strength used at level 11
+3 Tome of Dexterity used at level 11
+3 Tome of Constitution used at level 11
+3 Tome of Intelligence used at level 11
+3 Tome of Wisdom used at level 11
+3 Tome of Charisma used at level 11
+4 Tome of Strength used at level 15
+4 Tome of Dexterity used at level 15
+4 Tome of Constitution used at level 15
+4 Tome of Intelligence used at level 15
+4 Tome of Wisdom used at level 15
+4 Tome of Charisma used at level 15
+5 Tome of Strength used at level 19
+5 Tome of Dexterity used at level 19
+5 Tome of Constitution used at level 19
+5 Tome of Intelligence used at level 19
+5 Tome of Wisdom used at level 19
+5 Tome of Charisma used at level 19
[/COLOR]
                 Base Skills         Modified Skills
[U]Skills[/U]           [U](Level 1)[/U]            [U](Level 28)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=navy]Balance              -1                    18
Bluff                 3                    16
Concentration         7                    36
Diplomacy             3                    17
Disable Device        n/a                  n/a
Haggle                3                    16
Heal                  3                    33
Hide                 -1                     9
Intimidate            3                    16
Jump                  3                    18
Listen               -1                    10
Move Silently        -1                     9
Open Lock            n/a                    n/a
Perform               n/a                  n/a
Repair                0                    10
Search                0                    10
Spellcraft            0                    10
Spot                 -1                    10
Swim                  3                    18
Tumble               n/a                    n/a
Use Magic Device      5                    27
[/COLOR]
[B][U]Level 1 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dodgerblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy](Deity) Follower of the Sovereign Host[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dodgerblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy](Past Life) Past Life: Fighter[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dodgerblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy](Past Life) Past Life: Paladin[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dodgerblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy](Past Life) Past Life: Paladin[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dodgerblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy](Selected) Toughness[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dodgerblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy](Human Bonus) Two Handed Fighting[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Human - Human Versatility: Damage Boost (Rank 1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Slayer of Evil I (Rank 1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Sacred Defender (Pal) - Holy Bastion (Rank 1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Sacred Defender (Pal) - Extra Lay on Hands (Rank 1)[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 2 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Extra Smite (Rank 1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Extra Smite (Rank 2)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Sacred Defender (Pal) - Extra Lay on Hands (Rank 2)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Sacred Defender (Pal) - Extra Lay on Hands (Rank 3)[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 3 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dodgerblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy](Selected) Power Attack[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Courage of Heaven (Rank 1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Extra Turning (Rank 1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Attack Boost (Rank 1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Sacred Defender (Pal) - Durable Defense (Rank 1)[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 4 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Exalted Cleave (Rank 1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Exalted Cleave (Rank 2)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Exalted Cleave (Rank 3)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Sacred Defender (Pal) - Sacred Defense (Rank 1)[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 5 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Divine Might (Rank 1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Divine Might (Rank 2)[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 6 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dodgerblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy](Selected) Empower Healing Spell[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Slayer of Evil II (Rank 1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Exalted Smite (Rank 1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Sacred Defender (Pal) - Durable Defense (Rank 2)[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 7 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Exalted Smite (Rank 2)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Exalted Smite (Rank 3)[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 8 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Human - Human Adaptability: Strength (Rank 1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Human - Improved Recovery (Rank 1)[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 9 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dodgerblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy](Selected) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Vigor of Life (Rank 1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Empowered Smite (Rank 1)[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 10 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Sacred Defender (Pal) - Divine Righteousness (Rank 1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Sacred Defender (Pal) - Durable Defense (Rank 3)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Sacred Defender (Pal) - Resilient Defense (Rank 1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Sacred Defender (Pal) - Resilient Defense (Rank 2)[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 11 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Human - Action Surge: Strength (Rank 1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Sacred Defender (Pal) - Strong Defense (Rank 1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Sacred Defender (Pal) - Strong Defense (Rank 2)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Sacred Defender (Pal) - Strong Defense (Rank 3)[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 12 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dodgerblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy](Selected) Improved Two Handed Fighting[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Improved Courage of Heaven (Rank 1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Sacred Defender (Pal) - Resilient Defense (Rank 3)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Sacred Defender (Pal) - Charisma (Rank 1)[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 13 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Sacred Defender (Pal) - Redemption (Rank 1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Sacred Defender (Pal) - Sacred Armor Mastery (Rank 1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Sacred Defender (Pal) - Sacred Armor Mastery (Rank 2)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Sacred Defender (Pal) - Sacred Armor Mastery (Rank 3)[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 14 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Divine Might (Rank 3)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Vigor of Life (Rank 1)[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 15 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dodgerblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy](Selected) Greater Two Handed Fighting[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Divine Sacrifice (Rank 1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Avenging Cleave (Rank 1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Avenging Cleave (Rank 2)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Avenging Cleave (Rank 3)[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 16 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Holy Retribution (Rank 1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Holy Retribution (Rank 2)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Holy Retribution (Rank 3)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Sacred Defender (Pal) - Tenacious Defense (Rank 1)[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 17 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Human - Action Surge: Strength (Rank 2)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Human - Action Surge: Strength (Rank 3)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Human - Action Surge: Charisma (Rank 1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Human - Action Surge: Charisma (Rank 2)[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 18 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dodgerblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy](Selected) Maximize Spell[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Human - Action Surge: Charisma (Rank 3)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Human - Action Surge: Constitution (Rank 1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Slayer of Evil III (Rank 1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Sacred Defender (Pal) - Tenacious Defense (Rank 2)[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 19 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Sealed Life (Rank 1)[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 20 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Human - Action Surge: Constitution (Rank 2)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Human - Action Surge: Constitution (Rank 3)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Champion of Good (Rank 1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Sacred Defender (Pal) - Tenacious Defense (Rank 3)[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 21 (Epic)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dodgerblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy](Selected) Epic: Overwhelming Critical[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 22 (Epic)[/U][/B]

[B][U]Level 23 (Epic)[/U][/B]

[B][U]Level 24 (Epic)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dodgerblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy](Selected) Epic: Epic Toughness[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 25 (Epic)[/U][/B]

[B][U]Level 26 (Epic)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dodgerblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy](Epic Destiny) Epic Destiny: Perfect Two Handed Fighting[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 27 (Epic)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dodgerblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy](Selected) Epic: Epic Damage Reduction[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 28 (Epic)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dodgerblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy](Epic Destiny) Epic Destiny: First Blood[/COLOR]

Peter Stauffenberg: Level 20 TWF paladin.

Code:
[u][b]Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 04.23.01[/b][/u]
[url=http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO]DDO Character Planner Home Page[/url]

[B][U]Peters Stauffenberg 2 TWF[/U][/B]
Level 28 Lawful Good Human Male
(20 Paladin \ 8 Epic) 
Hit Points: 460
Spell Points: 408 
BAB: 20\20\25\30\30
Fortitude: 25
Reflex: 19
Will: 15

Abilities        Base Stats          Modified Stats
[U](36 Point)[/U]       [U](Level 1)[/U]             [U](Level 28)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=navy]Strength             16                    29
Dexterity            15                    20
Constitution         16                    21
Intelligence          8                    13
Wisdom                8                    13
Charisma             15                    25[/COLOR]

[B][U]Tomes Used[/U][/B]
[COLOR=navy]+1 Tome of Strength used at level 3
+1 Tome of Dexterity used at level 3
+1 Tome of Constitution used at level 3
+1 Tome of Intelligence used at level 3
+1 Tome of Wisdom used at level 3
+1 Tome of Charisma used at level 3
+2 Tome of Strength used at level 7
+2 Tome of Dexterity used at level 7
+2 Tome of Constitution used at level 7
+2 Tome of Intelligence used at level 7
+2 Tome of Wisdom used at level 7
+2 Tome of Charisma used at level 7
+3 Tome of Strength used at level 11
+3 Tome of Dexterity used at level 11
+3 Tome of Constitution used at level 11
+3 Tome of Intelligence used at level 11
+3 Tome of Wisdom used at level 11
+3 Tome of Charisma used at level 11
+4 Tome of Strength used at level 15
+4 Tome of Dexterity used at level 15
+4 Tome of Constitution used at level 15
+4 Tome of Intelligence used at level 15
+4 Tome of Wisdom used at level 15
+4 Tome of Charisma used at level 15
+5 Tome of Strength used at level 19
+5 Tome of Dexterity used at level 19
+5 Tome of Constitution used at level 19
+5 Tome of Intelligence used at level 19
+5 Tome of Wisdom used at level 19
+5 Tome of Charisma used at level 19
[/COLOR]
                 Base Skills         Modified Skills
[U]Skills[/U]           [U](Level 1)[/U]            [U](Level 28)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=navy]Balance               2                    13
Bluff                 2                    15
Concentration         5                    34
Diplomacy             2                    15
Disable Device       n/a                    n/a
Haggle                2                    15
Heal                  1                    30
Hide                  2                    13
Intimidate            2                    15
Jump                  3                    17
Listen               -1                     9
Move Silently         2                    13
Open Lock             n/a                  n/a
Perform               n/a                  n/a
Repair               -1                     9
Search               -1                     9
Spellcraft           -1                     9
Spot                 -1                     9
Swim                  3                    17
Tumble                n/a                  n/a
Use Magic Device      4                    26
[/COLOR]
[B][U]Level 1 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dodgerblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy](Selected) Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Khopesh[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dodgerblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy](Deity) Follower of the Sovereign Host[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dodgerblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy](Human Bonus) Two Weapon Fighting[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Human - Human Versatility: Damage Boost (Rank 1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Slayer of Evil I (Rank 1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Sacred Defender (Pal) - Holy Bastion (Rank 1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Sacred Defender (Pal) - Extra Lay on Hands (Rank 1)[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 2 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Extra Smite (Rank 1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Extra Smite (Rank 2)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Sacred Defender (Pal) - Extra Lay on Hands (Rank 2)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Sacred Defender (Pal) - Extra Lay on Hands (Rank 3)[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 3 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dodgerblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy](Selected) Power Attack[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Courage of Heaven (Rank 1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Extra Turning (Rank 1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Attack Boost (Rank 1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Sacred Defender (Pal) - Durable Defense (Rank 1)[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 4 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Exalted Cleave (Rank 1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Exalted Cleave (Rank 2)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Exalted Cleave (Rank 3)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Sacred Defender (Pal) - Sacred Defense (Rank 1)[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 5 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Divine Might (Rank 1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Divine Might (Rank 2)[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 6 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dodgerblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy](Selected) Empower Healing Spell[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Slayer of Evil II (Rank 1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Exalted Smite (Rank 1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Sacred Defender (Pal) - Durable Defense (Rank 2)[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 7 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Exalted Smite (Rank 2)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Exalted Smite (Rank 3)[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 8 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Human - Human Adaptability: Strength (Rank 1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Human - Improved Recovery (Rank 1)[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 9 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dodgerblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy](Selected) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Empowered Smite (Rank 1)[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 10 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Sacred Defender (Pal) - Divine Righteousness (Rank 1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Sacred Defender (Pal) - Durable Defense (Rank 3)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Sacred Defender (Pal) - Resilient Defense (Rank 1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Sacred Defender (Pal) - Resilient Defense (Rank 2)[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 11 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Human - Action Surge: Strength (Rank 1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Sacred Defender (Pal) - Strong Defense (Rank 1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Sacred Defender (Pal) - Strong Defense (Rank 2)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Sacred Defender (Pal) - Strong Defense (Rank 3)[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 12 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dodgerblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy](Selected) Improved Two Weapon Fighting[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Improved Courage of Heaven (Rank 1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Sacred Defender (Pal) - Resilient Defense (Rank 3)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Sacred Defender (Pal) - Charisma (Rank 1)[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 13 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Sacred Defender (Pal) - Redemption (Rank 1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Sacred Defender (Pal) - Sacred Armor Mastery (Rank 1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Sacred Defender (Pal) - Sacred Armor Mastery (Rank 2)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Sacred Defender (Pal) - Sacred Armor Mastery (Rank 3)[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 14 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Divine Might (Rank 3)[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 15 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dodgerblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy](Selected) Greater Two Weapon Fighting[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Divine Sacrifice (Rank 1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Avenging Cleave (Rank 1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Avenging Cleave (Rank 2)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Avenging Cleave (Rank 3)[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 16 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Holy Retribution (Rank 1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Holy Retribution (Rank 2)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Holy Retribution (Rank 3)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Sacred Defender (Pal) - Tenacious Defense (Rank 1)[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 17 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Human - Action Surge: Strength (Rank 2)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Human - Action Surge: Strength (Rank 3)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Human - Action Surge: Charisma (Rank 1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Human - Action Surge: Charisma (Rank 2)[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 18 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dodgerblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy](Selected) Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Bastard Sword[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Human - Action Surge: Charisma (Rank 3)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Human - Action Surge: Constitution (Rank 1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Slayer of Evil III (Rank 1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Sacred Defender (Pal) - Tenacious Defense (Rank 2)[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 19 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Sealed Life (Rank 1)[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 20 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Human - Action Surge: Constitution (Rank 2)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Human - Action Surge: Constitution (Rank 3)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Knight of the Chalice (Pal) - Champion of Good (Rank 1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement:[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Sacred Defender (Pal) - Tenacious Defense (Rank 3)[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 21 (Epic)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dodgerblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy](Selected) Epic: Overwhelming Critical[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 22 (Epic)[/U][/B]

[B][U]Level 23 (Epic)[/U][/B]

[B][U]Level 24 (Epic)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dodgerblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy](Selected) Maximize Spell[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 25 (Epic)[/U][/B]

[B][U]Level 26 (Epic)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dodgerblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy](Epic Destiny) Epic Destiny: Perfect Two Weapon Fighting[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 27 (Epic)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dodgerblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy](Selected) Epic: Epic Damage Reduction[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 28 (Epic)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dodgerblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy](Epic Destiny) Epic Destiny: First Blood[/COLOR]

For both my paladins I use wisdom as a dump stat and go with as high strength as possible. You could go ability increases into charisma instead of strength if you want better saves etc.

You only need 14 wisdom to cast level 4 spells. So with 8 wisdom you can easily get 14 by using items / tomes. E. g. a +5 or +6 wisdom colorless augment is enough so you don't even need to waste an item slot for wisdom.

I even go with empower healing and maximize as feats. Maximize can probably be dropped if you want something else. The reason is that then all my healing spells can do great healing. For level 4 spells I prefer to get holy sword, zeal, death ward etc.

The short answer is Paladins have been upgraded to being on par or better than Fighters as a front-liner. Their dps is comparable, and they maintain the strong defenses (even stronger with the armor-up pass) and solid self-healing they already had. To be truthful, they probably need a slight toning down dps-wise, but given the extremes idiots go on the forums in terms of min-maxing, if they aren't at least matching Fighters and Barbarians in DPS terms, they'll be back to being unwanted in groups because they're "not dps" like before.

As for Barbarians, none of us have any practical experience with them before or after the update. So we don't really know about them.

Maximize may give you good healing, but it's short-term. You're talking adding 35sp to every healing spell. With the healing amp you have, and a good devotion item, it shouldn't be an issue healing with a cure serious for over 300 points. Mirys had no issues with that on her Bard life. I had no spell power meta-magics, just Quicken and Extend.

I basically have the same THF build, except Elf with the dragonmark instead of human. IIRC, it's PA, THF, ITHF, GTHF, Extend, D-mark, IC:S, OC, and I can't be bothered to plan for the levels I don't care enough about playing. About the same investment into Elf racial as Peter's Human, otherwise identical enhancements.

I'll have to look at Barbarian to even know what I'm looking at. I may bring Mirys around as a SWF Barb, just for something different, on our next TR group. But it depends on what the group makeup is, and what is needed. We can expect Peter in as either cleric or paladin, possibly Monk, but the rest of us tend to float.

Character planner is up to 4.23.01, from the long-in-use 4.20.02. I haven't dug in to see what's different, but a quick glance shows 3 enhancement trees for barbys, so I'm guessing it's up to the latest DDO build.

As of U19/Enhancement Pass, Barbarians had 3 trees. U24 upgraded those trees, but I really didn't pay attention to the U19 versions well enough to tell you the difference. Check the date on when the planner was updated last, if it was post U24, then it probably has the new trees. Before, it was probably last updated with the Paladin pass.

I'll probably use my test slot to check out the enhancements tomorrow after work, if I don't spend too much time at work.

I don't mind spending extra mana on healing spells. I usually use my healing spells as an emergency when I'm low on lay on hands. So usually reach the next rest shrine without my mana depleted. My paladin also has mana pots in case he has to heal others with spells. That is where maximize and empower healing comes in.

I never found much use for extend. It became more of a convenience than a necessity. If I later find out I need it I can always swap out maximize for extend or quicken. I don't think paladins need quicken since most of their spells are buffs you use when not in combat.

Back
Top Bottom