Recommend me an RPG

zadawn

Traveler
Hello people ,

I am desperately looking to play an RPG with a really great story ( the sadder and weirder the better but its not necessary ) and i feel like i either played them all or know them all . No Planescape Torment or Baldur's Gate please even though i haven't played them . I can't get into those because of their age.

Thank you.

The Witcher 1/2, a great story, that went less great in the sequel because they removed cards. Not so weird if you believe chasing grandmas is perfectly normal. :)
The Stick of Truth, you'll get weirdness all over the place, but if you're alergic to profanity don't buy this one.
FO1/2/New Vegas, many weird stuff. Skip FO3, apart from a certain cameo nothing really weird there and the story is IMO less than great.
Arcanum, even if you say it's not weird, I'll just ask how come all Peter Jackson's crap trilogy character looks are copied from that game (and the game was first!).

Finally the king of weirdness combined with a great story:
Anachronox

[EDIT]
"sadder"? I'm not sure what would that be Melodramatic stuff? Hero dying in the end? Be more precise please.

[EDIT2]
Silly me.
Go play ME1/2/3 WITHOUT any DLC. There is no "sadder" story than that - as you won't see the half of it and most of your people will die.

Last edited:
I have played both Witcher games and i loved them. I also tried Southpark but I really don't like comedy in games. I'm over fart jokes and the like. I am through New Vegas right now but it just doesn't suck me in ( i play it very little from time to time) . Arcanum looks very old and unfortunately for me, i just can't be grabbed by those kind of graphics anymore. Its actually pretty sad that all the good RPGs are the old ones .
When i'm saying sadder i just mean a more melancholic and solitary atmosphere , I didn't want to mean the story itself , my bad. The first Witcher game had the best atmosphere in any game , at least for me.

Also, a story I really really loved was the one from Sanitarium ! ( I know it is not an RPG ) .

EDIT : I have gone through both ME 1 and 2 which i liked. I couldn't get into the third for some reason even I don't know.

RPGs are not supposed to be melancholic. You should go with adventures for that.
And who says only good RPGs are old ones? Not true. It's just that recent RPGs are not weird. Really. :)
For example I loved the story in Mars:War Logs, but… Nothing weird there.

Anyway, if you can close eyes on dated graphics in Anachronox, I promise you a ride of the century within that game.

EDIT:
Start ME3 without any DLC and without loading a savegame from ME2. Nothing will be weird. But many things will be sad. So sad (and so bad) you won't be able to get into it.
Oh, you couldn't get into it? Toldya. :)

Last edited:
Thank you guys for the recommendations. I'm gonna go pplay Arcanum . I swear i haven't slept well these past nights because i couldn't satisfy my gaming needs ( lol ). Everyday went to work , then trained and came home browsing for good games without playing anything. That's not good, not good at all.

Also Hidden, i may have posted a request way before but that's because whenever I want an RPG i turn to this site. I just lurk arouund, barely post if at all.

Meriwether won't be finished for at least 6 more months.

My biggest recommendation would be to try and force yourself past the initial impression of these older games. Once you get into them, you won't really notice that the graphics look a bit dated and the controls are not as silky smooth as we are used to. Even as a person who has played a lot of older games, I often get a negative first impression when playing one, if I've played a lot of modern games recently.

The Codex list is a very good start. I obviously don't agree with every single entry on it, but that's just the nature of different taste.
And if you want something really strange, make sure to check out King of Dragon pass. It's not a CRPG in the traditional sense, though it has strong CRPG-elements

Why not BG and PST, with the G3 fixes/widescreen mods they are great games!
If you like newer RPG, as said The Witcher 1/2, Fallout 3 and Dragon Age really sucked me up into their great story lines.

The "Game of Thrones RPG" has a great story IMO. It is a heavily story driven RPG so it might be what you are looking for.

The "Game of Thrones RPG" has a great story IMO. It is a heavily story driven RPG so it might be what you are looking for.

Speaking of the Game of Thrones RPG, does it require you to have read the books/seen the TV-series and/or will it spoil those? I've taken a habit of never reading a book series until it's done (due to the fact that I hate it when authors don't finish what they've started), so I've been avoiding the books/TV series up to this point.

Speaking of the Game of Thrones RPG, does it require you to have read the books/seen the TV-series and/or will it spoil those? I've taken a habit of never reading a book series until it's done (due to the fact that I hate it when authors don't finish what they've started), so I've been avoiding the books/TV series up to this point.
No, you don't need to have any knowledge about the books for this game.

In fact, I haven't read any of the books and played the game before I saw the TV series and I didn't have any problems in following the story line nor understanding the game world.

Although it is set in the same world, the main characters do not appear in the books and there are no spoilers.

I don't think there are any RPGs with really great story's. Movies and books do story much better.

But since this is about games I would echo the witcher series and game of thrones wasn't bad.

Better than those though IMO would be the walking dead from tell tale games not the terrible shooter. Not an RPG though but it has a great story and if you want sad it will definitely fit that.

Agreed, I got it gifted to me and the story of "to the moon" was great.

I'll 2nd the Game of Thrones RPG. It's rather melancholic.

No, you don't need to have any knowledge about the books for this game.

In fact, I haven't read any of the books and played the game before I saw the TV series and I didn't have any problems in following the story line nor understanding the game world.

Although it is set in the same world, the main characters do not appear in the books and there are no spoilers.

Nice, then I think I'll play the game in a near future!

Back
Top Bottom