WarWizard download link

crpgnut

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor
To get WarWizard to work:

I run D-fend Reloaded (a front end for Dosbox) and I don't configure anything. I just use the standard Dosbox Dos window. The drives are automatically mapped where the C: drive is pointed at the VirtualHD directory. I just drop the WW1 folder into that directory, type cd ww1 to change to the game directory, then ww1 to launch the batch file (ww1.bat) and then press 2 to chose the soundblaster pro card emulation.

My links were all expired but someone has posted one further down:

Update:
New Download Link: http://www.rpgwatch.com/games/warwizard-416/files.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Still doesn't work. :/ Even the shareware version has the same problem with saving (tried the one found on the Internet too). Which DOSBox version are you using?

Hmmm, I'm using .73 but I've tried .72 and it works fine too. Let me just zip my current game Arhu and see if it works for you. I'll keep my saves and everything.

What I've done this time, is not compress anything. This is my full game with tons of saves from the beginning to about 1/4 the way through the game. I've got a second set of saves where it's a beginning WarWizard with 2 mercs and a cleric. This'll be bigger folks but not too bad.

I should point out that you launch the file ww1.bat to start the game. If you run the exe file the game crashes and you can't save sometimes.

Tried the new one too with dosbox 0.72. I unzipped the game and and started ww1.bat. Still the same error with saving. I can load the saves but not save them anywhere.

Loading is fine with your savegames, I can do stuff, I can overwrite your savegames. But saving to a new slot including the very first save when starting a new game is still broken. Frustrating ... How about uploading your DOSBox configuration next? I'm running out of trial-and-error ideas. ;)

Incidentally there seems to have been a patch 2.3 for the game, called ww23pat.zip. I haven't been able to find the file for download, though.

I just run vanilla Dosbox. Is your dosbox and game installation on the c: drive? I was wondering if that would make a difference. I've copied this game to my laptop with the same files I sent you guys, and the game installed without a hitch. I can't figure it out. I'm able to save, delete the wplayer folder completely and then start a new game and that folder gets created. Do you get a particular error each time?

We need to get some type of troubleshooting chat going. An hour or two between forum posts is going to take a long time to fix. Anybody on Facebook?

Here's a wplayer directory with 5 new characters at beginning. Maybe one of these will work....

I should have said that I run D-fend Reloaded (a front end for Dosbox) and I don't configure anything. I just use the standard Dosbox Dos window. The drives are automatically mapped where the C: drive is pointed at the VirtualHD directory. I just drop the WW1 folder into that directory, type cd ww1 to change to the game directory, then ww1 to launch the batch file (ww1.bat) and then press 2 to chose the soundblaster pro card emulation.

http://rapidshare.com/files/270053041/WPLAYER.rar.html

Last edited:
I should have said that I run D-fend Reloaded (a front end for Dosbox) and I don't configure anything. I just use the standard Dosbox Dos window. The drives are automatically mapped where the C: drive is pointed at the VirtualHD directory. I just drop the WW1 folder into that directory, type cd ww1 to change to the game directory, then ww1 to launch the batch file (ww1.bat) and then press 2 to chose the soundblaster pro card emulation.[/url]

Heureka! That did it! :D

I can start games and save without problems now.

D-Fend Reloaded is the keyword, then. If I'm bored I might try and search for the differences between D-Fend Reloaded's DOSBox configuration and the one from Vanilla DOSBox to find out what's responsible for all those hickups.

Small extra info for others to get startet: In D-Fend Reloaded's menu, go to "Extras -> Open games folder" and copy your WarWizard directory there, then start "DOSBox DOS" from within the program. Keep all the defaults during installation, as per the 'nuts instructions.

Last edited:
There's a patch 2.3 only for the shareware version of the game, but it doesn't change anything except ordering information. It shouldn't be applied to crpgnut's full version, because you don't want to downgrade your game to shareware again ;).

For those who are interested, these were the patch notes:
Version 2.3 : Final WarWizard release.
Additions/Changes:
(1) No code has been changed, so the game remains as it was under version 2.2,
however, much information about ordering and how you can reach us HAS
changed.
(2) We no longer have an 800 number for orders.
(3) We no longer accept credit cards of any kind -- check or money order ONLY.
(4) We have a new phone number for technical support for our Registered customers.
(5) We have a new address.
(6) Please see the ORDER.DOC file for all of the new info stated above.

Last edited:
Good Grief! If I had known it was Dosbox and not WarWizard that was the culprit we could have saved a few days of re-downloading.

That's nice. Thank you, guys. :)

Lil 'nut, you might want to update your posts with links in them to point to the first post in this thread and then edit that one to include a definitive link and short tutorial about how to run the game. I'm figuring that some people might get here via Google and we don't want to have them dig through the whole things themselves, do we? :)

Also, don't forget to inform the folks from Abandonia, in case they weren't following this thread.

Wow, it works with D-Fend, but not with simple DOSBox. Now that's something new. Usually it's the other way around. I'll ask around to find out why. And thanks people. :)

Ok people, if you still want to use only DOSBox do the following. Install the game as always. Download this and extract it somewhere. Copy xxcopy16.exe to the folder where you installed WarWizard. Rename xxcopy16.exe to xcopy.exe.

Next you run the game as usual, only before running ww1.bat, you first run xcopy.exe using the DOSBox command lines. :)

xcopy! Fascinating. I had that in my original DOS 6.22 installation back then. It was not a standard command, was it? IIRC you could copy whole directories with it in one go, including sub-directories, unlike the simple copy command.

Back
Top Bottom