Dead Space - Fun game, but bad controls

Dez

Man with the hat
Original Sin 2 Donor
This game is quite fun and the setting is truly captivating. But this wasn't the case yesterday when I installed the game. See, I use arrow keys for movement. I always do because I hold mouse in my left hand. Besides I'm old fashioned guy. I just don't feel cozy playing other way. I soon realized that the game doesn't allow rebinding arrow keys to those most basic functions (move forward/backward, left, right).

At first I thought that this wouldn't be an issue. After all I have autohotkey program installed for these kind of situations in mind. However for some weird reason Dead Space didn't recognize the hotkey script running in the backround. So once again I was in the begining and had no way to reset my controls.

So like any sane person I began googling. The situation looked pretty grim because quite many people suffered from this same issue and there wasn't a simple work around like editing a user config or ini file. But thank god some clever dude had found a way to override those silly binding restrictions. He had used a hex edit program to manually reset the values for those movement keys.

More about it here: http://www.kennynet.co.uk/2008/12/22/dead-space-with-arrow-keys/

But obvously the download link for this edited controls.rmp had to be no longer working. I felt so frustrated, but by blind luck some guy in steam forums had reuploaded the orginal file.

http://www.mediafire.com/?uxtimfvo643e9gb

I just posted this here in case someone else is annoyed by this issue and also as a warning that this game is a bad pc port.

Don't understand me wrong, the game is great once I got this controls issue fixed, but if there had been no fix, this game would have been nearly unplayable for me. There are still some issues, like awfully slow mouse, but I can try to live with that.

Isn't it just retarded when devs don't allow players to rebind the keys? Why on earth are devs so fucking lazy or ignorant? Don't they realize that bad controls are not something one can ignore.

Last edited:
I used a keymapper in Dead Space (pretty sure it was Autohotkey), and had zero issues with it. Besides that, the only other thing I did was tweak the mouse speed in the config file.

Sorry to hear you're having problems, but other than the inconvenience of having to do the two aforementioned things, I didn't have a single problem with the PC version.

I understand your frustration though. The ability to remap any key you want should be automatic in PC games.

Fwiw, the PC controls are much better in Dead Space 2.

I used a keymapper in Dead Space (pretty sure it was Autohotkey), and had zero issues with it. Besides that, the only other thing I did was tweak the mouse speed in the config file.

Sorry to hear you're having problems, but other than the inconvenience of having to do the two aforementioned things, I didn't have a single problem with the PC version.

I understand your frustration though. The ability to remap any key you want should be automatic in PC games.

Fwiw, the PC controls are much better in Dead Space 2.

hmm weird..I'll have to recheck this autohotkey script of mine again. Maybe I did some mistake somewhere. It just drives me crazy when I face unbindable keys. :|

Fantastic game. I just adjusted to the default controls. Too busy scrambling to stay alive to notice! Finished it without too much issue so the controls certainly are doable.

For me, this was one of those deals where even though the controls were annoying, it was worth it to learn them because the game was that good. Can't speak for the sequel, though.

Back
Top Bottom