RPGWatch - Sword Coast Legends Community Interview

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Some of our forum members joined forces earlier this month in preparing questions about Sword Coast Legends. We just got them back answered, so here it is.

Lucky Day: Can PvP be possible? Or friendly fire? Can spell and other scripts be edited? I was also wondering if it's possible to make a standalone server?

Tim: Since adventuring in D&D has always been a cooperative experience, PvP has never been part of our plans. However, friendly fire is very much a factor so powerful AoE spells need to be used carefully and tactically.

I can't yet answer your questions about DM Campaign creation and customization, but I can confirm that you will not be able to create a standalone server.

goblin: Is the RTwP feature for single player only? If not how will it work in multi-player? Also will your single player characters be available for multi-player?

Tim: Regardless of game mode, pausing is only available with a single player controlling the party. Once additional players have joined, we're currently disabling the pause feature. We are considering allowing a group to unanimously pause in multiplayer if that's what players would like.

Yes, your custom characters will move with you into dungeon crawls or even other player campaigns. This means if you want to run a dungeon with only rogues, you can very much do that.
More information.

For those who participated, this is your interview :)

Good questions, thanks. This is all sounding (somewhat surprisingly) pretty good to me. I thought we'd seen the last of the Forgotten Realms outside of the Neverwinter MMO so I'm looking forward to this.

Well this one looks promissing in a way. It could be a fun thing to play with friends! One thing kind of worries me though. They're basicly avoiding the question of player made mods. Hopefully we'll get more info about it before the release date.

Tim: …We're not talking much about sharing content, but we are well aware that community support can lead to vibrant, long lasting communities.

Tim: We're not ready to talk about player mods at this time…

Tim: …I can't yet answer your questions about DM Campaign creation and customization, but I can confirm that you will not be able to create a standalone server.

This won't be the new NWN. Feels like a miss-fire aimed at cash-grabbing more than providing what every DnD and computer RPG player has been asking for since the utter success of the original NWN.

Unfortunately, providing what NWN did is unthinkable in the current times, simply because the niche is too small, and there are no benefits from letting people host and manage persistent worlds at no cost.

The guy avoiding questions doesn't spring confidence in this title. And for some reason they haven't shared with us the character customizations screens yet.
We will see how much loyal to dnd this game is.

To say these answers were bad would be an understatement. The whole Q&A was pretty pointless with them going "we cannot talk about it" half the time. The other half was PR talk.
Bah.

I can't believe no one asked about the skill set in the game. That would be my primary way to establish if this is indeed a roleplaying game.

Let's reverse that question and ask why you didn't bring it forward when the opportunity was there?

Maybe we can do another Q&A in a few months when he is able to more fully answer these questions.

Let's reverse that question and ask why you didn't bring it forward when the opportunity was there?

I must have missed that opportunity.

From the interview you could get the impression there's no customization beyond race, class and appearance. Would be worth a follow-up question.

edit: It's also possible I skipped this opportunity because my questions (which I found pretty relevant) were ignored for the Underworld Ascendant interview. Will try next time. Maybe Couch had me on ignore or something :)

Last edited:
A lot of "We're not talking about that right now" which is understandable but disappointing.

I REALLY hope they made this thing mod friendly. I missed the boat largely on NWN due to what was going on in my life, where I am not, I'm about to be able to really jump into something like this though. If they make it mod friendly, it could be amazing for years.

This game is torturing me. I so desperately want a killer multi-player D&D experience on my PC. But every new post on this game makes me skeptical (oh...except that apparently the music will be good).

I agree with this --> "Feels like a miss-fire"

Really hope we're wrong.

Sounds like they haven't finished enough stuff to answer basic questions, or its PR speak for a shallow action game.

Yeah it might end up being rubbish but let's give it a chance eh! More races and classes to follow, lengthy campaign, side quests, dialogue options that impact the story, player customisation and progression a "main pillar", friendly fire for AoE spells requiring tactics etc…. This is all sounding good! :) Might not end up that way, but I took a lot of positives from the interview.

Yeah it might end up being rubbish but let's give it a chance eh! More races and classes to follow, lengthy campaign, side quests, dialogue options that impact the story, player customisation and progression a "main pillar", friendly fire for AoE spells requiring tactics etc…. This is all sounding good! :) Might not end up that way, but I took a lot of positives from the interview.

This.

Until we have more information, or the game is released and there is actual player feedback, how the game is shaping up/implemented all present and future concerns are simply conjecture.

I want this game to succeed and from what I have read they are working hard to make it a good experience. The fact that the developers are big D&D fans bodes well.

I suggest joining the Sword Coast Legends community and place your questions there. It is active and friendly with developers checking in from time to time — and, yes, there are a lot of conjectures. ;)

Sounds like they haven't finished enough stuff to answer basic questions, or its PR speak for a shallow action game.

I vote for PR speaks, although the game might not be shallow. The whole thing read quite similar to any big publishers sanitized information release that is trying to hide something they perceive wouldn't be well received by their target audience.

The questions were fine, but the answers were surprisingly useless. Maybe it's unfair of me, but my enthusiasm for the game has now declined even more. They have a lot to prove.

Back
Top Bottom