Story-based FPSes

I tried to like the new Turok, I really did. But the spirit of the old Acclaim games (especially Turok 2) is long dead.

I didn't rate FEAR2 as highly as the first, something visceral was missing from the combat and the wide open spaces & clean lines of the first was oddly enough much scarier, even though I can see the second has better graphics generally.

Dead Space was good, if a little predictable (obvious final scare was obvious) and got repetitive at the end.

Play the Marathons for stories that will blow your mind away, not to mention great action. Plus, they're open source so you can get em for free. Just Google Aleph One Marathon or something. They run great and look really nice thanks to the dedicated modders.

He is looking for 'new' ... Marathon is *ancient* in terms of shooters. Great, but very old.

Seriously though, that game was the worst FPS I've played in years….not that I played it for very long.

Not disagreeing ... so here is a thought, name the 'worst' FPS you've played recently.

Kreed.

Stay away from TUROK…… stay far far away…..:-/

I finished TUROK because I ran out of games to play. Still, it's not even near games like "You are empty" for the title "worst evah". There are titles that do what they intend to do, and execute their ideas fully, but still deliver a "meh" feeling, like the ideas weren't that great to begin with. TUROK was a such game.

There are also games that make you wonder why they wasted money on printing the DVD. Why the publisher and QA didn't say "are you kidding me?". TUROK is not one of those. It fits in the 6/10 range for being bugfree, using a decent engine, have solid and working gameplay mechanics, but lack anything beyond that. Melee killing dinos worked a bit too well, once you learned how to do it you stuck with the same technique the entire game through. The dino animations was top notch though.

Blacksite: Area 51 was released at the same time and end up in the same range, solid but simply not memorable.

Ard you kidding me would be shellshock 2, you are empty, legendary...
"Good effort, but you forgot the fun" would be TUROK, Blacksite Area 51, Infernal, Perseus Mandate, Übersoldier etc.

Turok, if we're talking about the original, was not that bad.

I remember having fun with it for a few hours before finally getting bored. That's better than most games manage :)

Turok, if we're talking about the original, was not that bad.

I remember having fun with it for a few hours before finally getting bored. That's better than most games manage :)

I think we are talking about the new version. It doesn't pay much attention to it's predecessors. It even call itself TUROK without a number or subtitle. Fallout 3 was at least called "3".

Ubersoldier 2 was much worse than the original ...

You're sick…..;)

Seriously though, that game was the worst FPS I've played in years….not that I played it for very long.

What I liked about it was mainly the dinos. They were really well done I thought. I loved the times when you're walking along with your guys and suddenly a pack of rapters come tearing in and all hell breaks loose. I also like Turok himself and how he was mistrusted and disliked by the other soldiers but gradually gained their trust and admiration.

The battles with the human enemies were tedious though.

I vaguely remember having played Mortyr and Fire Warrior at some time during the last few years, and both were bad. While Mortyr was at least some fun (I mean, the game mechanics worked which kind of countered the involuntarily campy stuff), Fire Warrior didn't work on any level. Pure hell. But the worst FPS I recently played (i.e., in the last 15 or so years) was Angst. Thinking of it, Angst was the worst FPS I ever played - even worse than Fire Warrior.

I tried to like Fire Warrior, but they really screwed up that game bad. Even just playing the game for the story was awful. The gameplay was horrible, the story was horrible, just about everything in that game screamed amature attempt at a FPS.

I never tried Angst, but I still think Alpha Prime would be a good contender for the worst :)

But the worst FPS I recently played (i.e., in the last 15 or so years) was Angst. Thinking of it, Angst was the worst FPS I ever played - even worse than Fire Warrior.

It took some heavy duty Googling to even find anything on that game.

Here ya go Jaz, re-live those memories. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8opG6YMIhzU

Nevermind. Firewarrior looks and plays like Doom 3 when compared to Angst. My god that was bad.

For worst, I'd nominate History Channel: Battle for the Pacific. Glitchy, extremely linear, framerate stutters whenever more than one bullet at a time is fired. Tied to a seargant who berates you for not staying within 10 feet of him or says to stay behind him but then refuses to move. Filled with laughable non-sequitors like soldiers screaming "Eat this!" at a peaceful, empty field. I did appreciate how the enemies would stand still and wait to be shot -- that was helpful. The best part, though, was that it lasted only 3 hours.

On the upside, I liked Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood. Fun campaign, with a pretty well-told story (for the genre).

Back
Top Bottom