Risen - Feb Release for X360 in NA

I enjoyed Venetica a lot. Just don't expect a deep RPG. Can't say anything about the console port though.

edit:
The reviews say the port is solid to good. Terrible textures in the beginning ... but only there. Generally stable frame rate, controls decent. The Review average is only 1% lower than on PC. (The articles read as if the gap should be a bit bigger though.)

Yeah, I expect that I will like Venetica, based on what I've seen and read so far. I like the main character. I think the story sounds interesting. I like the art design and the environments. I don't mind the "RPG lite" approach if it's embedded in a good game. I'll definitely be picking it up when (if) it comes to the 360 in a language I can understand.

If you ask me, it's not bad because it's lite. The main character may seem interesting, but she's totally underdeveloped… And so is the supporting cast and their motives are just ridiculous, they're not explained with nearly enough depth. Dialogues usually felt like (badly written) monologues. I feel like the lead writer had some good ideas, but wasn't good (experienced?) enough to properly develop them. I really don't mind when a game doesn't bother with the story and just focuses on combat, but Venetica tries and epically fails (that's something I can't stand). Also it's hack & slash all the way. Exploring dungeons can be fun, but seriously, there are a lot better older RPGs out there.

Gorath, have you played the German version? Maybe the English one would be better if it had a proper translation.

Yes, I played the German version.

It's fine if you don't like it. Some of the actions by support characters are indeed explained in a laconic way. And while I think the writing and the script are good IMO, there are 2-3 scenes which sound like a soap opera (for example the dialog after the fight against this one important chick).

I don't think the combat is hack & slash, but definitely full of action and a bit repetitive. It's nearly impossible to hack yourself casually through more than 2 opponents. The choice of weapons, armour and spells makes a huge difference.

Well, RPGs consisting mostly of combat are hack and slash in my book.. By hack and slash I didn't mean it was like Diablo or something. But I agree, fighting was fun at times, only it was too easy, I didn't really need any skills or magic… And rolling didn't always work, so I've never used it (not that I needed it anyway). Bosses were pretty good, on the other hand. Cleverish.

Btw, I finished Venetica the other day, so I bought The Saboteur… And man, it's awesome, it feels like Dostoyevsky when compared to Venetica. But ok, to each his own, I guess..

But ok, to each his own, I guess..

Indeed. I just hope I get a chance to try it out eventually.

You know how sometimes you just get a feeling that you'll enjoy a game, even if you don't know a whole lot about it, and even if it might be flawed or peculiar or something other people might turn up their nose at? I have that feeling about this game.

Back
Top Bottom