Bioshock - PC Demo Now Available

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
Staff Member
The PC Demo for Bioshock is now available for download from Fileplanet. You must be registered there to avail yourself of their services. Registration is Free.

Thanks for the notification Acleacius
More information.

Ouch, there maybe a problem. :S

Seems 2k Tricked us, I am reading on their forums and it sort of starts here on the 40th page.
http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4509&page=40

Apparently anyone can download this but either you need to wait till Monday at 7pm EST, you have to be a Paying Subscriber using the Download Manager to Decrypt it or both, sigh. :(

I am not real clear at this point, so if you Pay per Gig of download with your ISP, please don't try this until more infomation is known or you don't want to possibly waste your time.

It's alot of reading and I am at 900 meg atm, so I dont have a difinetive answer, atm.

I've linked the news page to the other forum thread on this issue.

Ok, mine completed and it does have the "Error in Compressed File" which looks to be the Encryption, so no go. :(
Damn you 2K. :p

I'm a member and can't download. I think there must have been something wrong with the file; hopefully they'll get this straightened out sometime today.

The whole PC demo thing seems to have been quite a mess - announced-denied, confirmed-unconfirmed, released-pulled. Oh well, I pulled the trigger on my Steam order so I'll have it tomorrow anyway ...

The latest according to 'The Cult of Rapture' site:

The wait is nearly over. At 7 PM EST the BioShock PC demo will go live for you to enjoy. We will have exclusive pre-loading at Fileplanet. Set your watches for 7 o'clock!

IMPORTANT: Please be sure to download the latest drivers from ATI and Nvidia that will be available Monday for best performance with your video cards.

Anyone tried the russian version yet? The one from Softpedia seemed corrupt.

Anyone tried the russian version yet? The one from Softpedia seemed corrupt.

The Russian link is very, very slow, unless you pay for VIP access. I'm downloading around 10Kb per second -- only 49 hours before the download is finished!

Last edited:
I would suggest waiting for the official release - at that point there should be a flood of mirror sites which will at least make the speed reasonable.

Yah. I don't understand this silly rush.

The versions currently out are versions hacked from leaked versions or something. Borderline piracy in any case. Just wait, calmly, it'll only take half a day or so

Piracy? No not at all this is the Legal Demo, File Planet released the Unencrypted Demo out Accidently.
Not sure where you got they were Hacked, maybe you were guessing and did Not read the official forum threads, posted. :p

SIlly, rush?
This maybe one of the best games ever made, iirc when SS2 was released the reason it didn't actually sell well was the release of the original Half-Life poped up at near the same time and stole all of Irrational thunder and now 7 or more years later they are finally getting their shot.
I realise everyone is jaded after oblivion but this isn't bethseda, this is Irrational and that should be enough said. :)

Last edited:
The softpedia link keeps quitting on me after about 3 seconds. I can only get about 200k of the file Markus.

for those able to get it to run how is the performance?

So far I only see the Demo on Torrent but the 360 version is available.

Here's a link for a torrent of the Demo. Naturally, there's a lot of leechers and only a few seeders right now.

Last edited:
The torrent file linked above works fine. I've DLed that one and played through the single player demo already, and I must confess that it's been the greatest experience for me since... Planescape : Torment, perhaps? Anyway: fabulous, marvellous, extraordinary game, really looking forward to the full version.

Oh, and FP are feckers. 'nuff said.

Edit: re: performance. It is mighty fine! I was a wee bit worried that my rig (AMD 64 3000+, 1 gigs of RAM, GF7900GT) wouldn't handle the thing, and boy, was I releived to find that the game runs extremely smoothly @ 1024*768 with all GFX options maxed out! Terrific work, great optimisation of the UE3 engine, well done!

Edit: re: performance. It is mighty fine! I was a wee bit worried that my rig (AMD 64 3000+, 1 gigs of RAM, GF7900GT) wouldn't handle the thing, and boy, was I releived to find that the game runs extremely smoothly @ 1024*768 with all GFX options maxed out! Terrific work, great optimisation of the UE3 engine, well done!

From another forum dx10 (?):

c2d@3,3GHz, 8800GTX, 3 gigs memory, 1680x1050 all maxed and Windows Vista --> fps 10-30

He mentions a terrible input lag (mouse) and the only thing said about graphics is that its inpar with xbox360.

I'm running an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (2ghz) on XP Pro 32 with 1gb RAM and an nVidia 6200 w/ 256mb. I'm thinking I'll be a too slow.

There's a great deal of better performance on XP 64 but there a compatibility issues with a lot software. I'm thinking of setting up a dual boot. Anyone running XP 64 or Server 2003 with this game?

Back
Top Bottom