Pillars of Eternity - Available for Pre-order

make more changes before release to make the combat more tactical and less pause fest.

This is somewhat amusing to read after looking at a few BSN and DAI reviews were people complains the game is not tactical enough because you don't need to pause all the time...

(I pick on WL2 but there are a few similar games like Divinity and SRR that have done this exact same thing - Hare Brained showed their appreciation of the community by creating DLC for an additional charge - very nice).

Don't you think you should get your facts straight when making these statements? Hare Brained GAVE AWAY the expansion to ALL BACKERS at NO EXTRA COST. We who actually funded the game got a great deal out of it. Why shouldn't other people who didn't back the game pay what it's worth??? You're talking about "the community" as if all gamers are some sort of collective. We're not. I believe companies' should treat the ones that funded their games with respect, the ones' that DIDN'T fund the game have no reason to expect "special treatment". Both Hare Brained and Inxile have been generous and respectful to their backers, and the 60$ price tag of the early access is a prefect example of showing that respect.

This is somewhat amusing to read after looking at a few BSN and DAI reviews were people complains the game is not tactical enough because you don't need to pause all the time…

Well I guess there needs to be a middle ground. Like in BG games. PoE at the moment asks you to pause almost every second. In BG you paused on average every 6 seconds and often you didn't need to pause even then because fights that didn't need spellcasting could be done in real time.

Watching that trailer made me this happy
ivPGnK3.jpg

Last edited:
In my opinion, I'll allow a gaming company to do 1 Kickstarter and then milk profits on the final product, with the expectation that the profits will go to sequels, expansions or similar games in the genre that was crowd funded.

My issue will arise if they return to KS for something else.

The only reason to care whether a company returns to Kickstarter or not is if they fail to deliver on their promises. If going the Kickstarter route allows them to create the types of games they actually want, and that the contributors quite obviously want, then more power to them. Milk it forever. It's hopefully providing freedom from corporate funding and their creativity-sapping, buggy-release spawning oversight.

The only reason to care whether a company returns to Kickstarter or not is if they fail to deliver on their promises. If going the Kickstarter route allows them to create the types of games they actually want, and that the contributors quite obviously want, then more power to them. Milk it forever. It's hopefully providing freedom from corporate funding and their creativity-sapping, buggy-release spawning oversight.

Releasing a sub-par product and then returning for more would certainly amplify my disgust, but if there's already a demand for game 'B' and you just made a mint on game 'A', why should we continue to front you money via KS? It's basically telling gaming companies, "hey, this industry is risky, but you can now subvert that risk by making us poor schleps pay for it before it's made, and if it fails, you lose nothing but credibility".

Sounds like a great business model, I'm sure. The US banking industry runs on that concept because it's so greedy-genius. But the drawback is that when your own money and company survival aren't on the line, you get lazy and careless (or corrupt).

I have no problem Kickstarting something when it seems there's not enough interest to move using the traditional production model. But once that belief is shattered and it's shown there is enough interest (games like Pillars of Eternity/Tides of Num./etc) then it's kind of a dick move to keep asking us to prefund those projects.

But again, just my opinion and I'm probably in the minority there.

I really hope this pans out - it could be wonderful.

I bet the poor buggers have had a rough ride behind the scenes though. I think the beta release gave them a nasty shock about the state of the current build, and that wouldn't have been fun and games with an unbudgeted delay, and a publisher on board.

If a company does a kickstarter and makes a great game, I'll kickstart them again for sure. I rather like the idea of pledging money to get the type of games I like made rather than relying on corporate suites at publishers that probably don't even play games to decide.

Releasing a sub-par product and then returning for more would certainly amplify my disgust, but if there's already a demand for game 'B' and you just made a mint on game 'A', why should we continue to front you money via KS? It's basically telling gaming companies, "hey, this industry is risky, but you can now subvert that risk by making us poor schleps pay for it before it's made, and if it fails, you lose nothing but credibility".

To me, promising a particular game and then releasing a decidedly sub-par effort is failing to live up to their goals. In that case there's a valid economic reason not to support a future effort.

But if a company has a successful Kickstarter and a successful release, they have a proven track record and your risk is lowered if you decide to fund them in the future.

I don't see how 45$ it too much for the size of the game they offer. Also so many classes for characters that can be built differently, and so many races to choose from, and there will not be stupid MMO filler quests.
I am sure main story will also be more interesting than DAI.

They are going for BG size and complexity people, only thing DAI will have over it is better graphics and romances (are those worth extra 15$?). That means if they succeed this is a game that you will be still playing in 10 years, where you will be trying out different party combinations and so on.

I see that as being worth 45$. (EU are worse as it will be 45E) .

I need to be there for that live stream :)

To many "if's" evolved. I was a backer from day one, and I feel the 'sucker' label right next to my name. Mo Money seems to be the name of the game

To many "if's" evolved. I was a backer from day one, and I feel the 'sucker' label right next to my name. Mo Money seems to be the name of the game

Well you must be one of the few that feel that way. I also have no issue of them charging full boat to the masses. The more money they make, the better it is for the genre.

Mo Money seems to be the name of the game
Checking if the thread is about EA… It's… Not?!
Odd…

What's the fuss about? Sims 4 was available for preorder almost a year before the release.
I don't see why cca 3 months preorder availability for Eternity is something strange.

okay mostly tongue-in-cheek rant:

I'm mostly curious as to why after getting all the KS money they still went to the publisher model. Isn't that what the kickstarter was about; avoiding a publisher so that no suits could tell you when and how to build and deliver your game? Once they learned (again) that their skills can't build a solid engine, they had to fall back to a publisher after squandering the KS money on more tattoos for Josh. They should have bought him some meals instead. I mean has Obsidian ever built a complete game that wasn't bugged or poorly designed? (Arcanum, Alpha Protocol, Dungeon Siege 3, ToEE, etc).
Their biggest commercial success was Fallout New Vegas, but that engine was built by Bethesda; and it's buggy too though not OE's fault there.

P.S. I'm a backer

I'm mostly curious as to why after getting all the KS money they still went to the publisher model. Isn't that what the kickstarter was about; avoiding a publisher so that no suits could tell you when and how to build and deliver your game? Once they learned (again) that their skills can't build a solid engine, they had to fall back to a publisher after squandering the KS money on more tattoos for Josh. They should have bought him some meals instead. I mean has Obsidian ever built a complete game that wasn't bugged or poorly designed? (Arcanum, Alpha Protocol, Dungeon Siege 3, ToEE, etc).
Their biggest commercial success was Fallout New Vegas, but that engine was built by Bethesda; and it's buggy too though not OE's fault there.

P.S. I'm a backer
Because this is not a real publisher deal. Paradox are just helping with marketing and physical boxes and well as other KS rewards that will involve sending stuff to people around the world.

Paradox has zero influence over the game itself. Well I suppose they are going to help with QA as well, but there is no contract that lets them strongarm OE into anything. As far as I know Paradox didn't give any money to OE for this cooperation but OE promised them a part of the sales.

P.S. I'm a backer

I think kickstarter was necessary to show there was still a market for this type of game. Without that success, no publisher was likely to touch it.

This game looks lovely from that trailer. Really liked the music too. Count me in as HYPED!

I will say the beta has been improved since the last time I looked at it. The biggest problem, at least from my perspective, is that melee combat gets too jumbled. All of the combatants basically stand on top of each other and it makes sorting out who's who a nightmare. I didn't spend much time with it though, as I'm waiting for the release version to play. I ruined D: OS by playing too much during the alpha/beta periods. I still haven't been able to force myself to go back to it since I played the beta for a couple hundred hours.

Back
Top Bottom