Drakensang: TRoT - Review @ GameBanshee

Fortunately, the map with the three ogres was easier, as they were easy to draw out one by one.

I'm visiting crabs at the moment. That part reminds me very much of the first game.

Sorry, I don't know anthing. Perhaps you should rather send an e-mail to dtp directly ?

The more they learn there's demand, the more they might release it ?

Another way would be to build up indirect pressure by bombing U.S. magazines with this very question ... The more the editors learn about it (and its demand) the more they might feel to tell and ask around for it ...

Sorry, I don't know anthing. Perhaps you should rather send an e-mail to dtp directly ?

The more they learn there's demand, the more they might release it ?

Another way would be to build up indirect pressure by bombing U.S. magazines with this very question … The more the editors learn about it (and its demand) the more they might feel to tell and ask around for it …
The sad reality is that people don't ask for stuff that has not been advertised before. If I look at reactions (or better lack thereof) to Drakensang 2 threads on several boards I visit, I would not invest into a retail release as a company.

Okay, in principle this is true, but there's also a thing called "word-of-mouth advertising" ...

Okay, in principle this is true, but there's also a thing called "word-of-mouth advertising" …
You have to have some dedicated followers for "word-of-mouth" advertising to work. Those followers don't exist in NA. My attempts at this failed. Most people are only interested in stuff they know, even if that knowledge only comes from an expensive advertising campaign.

You have to have some dedicated followers for "word-of-mouth" advertising to work. Those followers don't exist in NA. My attempts at this failed. Most people are only interested in stuff they know, even if that knowledge only comes from an expensive advertising campaign.

"Failed"? Well don't be harsh on yourself. You may not have seen immediate results but the whole point of word of mouth is it always works. Someone will see it in stores (well, uh, in DD) later and think "hey I once heard someone recommend this, might be worth a look". That's how it works really.

But yeah, TDE as a franchise doesn't have much immediate reach in NA, and then to be crippled by the publisher not caring at all...it's tough.

Still, about retail release: you can get the retail version from the Benelux if you don't mind shipping. It's a DVD and a 80-page manual. Which is weird: they've made a DVD case and manual for the game, it can't be that expensive to distribute that to NA/UK as well.

Still, about retail release: you can get the retail version from the Benelux if you don't mind shipping. It's a DVD and a 80-page manual. Which is weird: they've made a DVD case and manual for the game, it can't be that expensive to distribute that to NA/UK as well.

I assume the manual is in German though?

It's a DVD and a 80-page manual. Which is weird: they've made a DVD case and manual for the game, it can't be that expensive to distribute that to NA/UK as well.
Actually, I don't mind a digital release.

Any handbook at all sure would be nice, though. Actually, scrap that. I did not find the original Drakensang manual that helpful, either. What I really would like to have is a table that contains all skills or points and what attributes or other values they depend on, best with the actual formula. I guess that such a table would be one page at most, but it would be incredibly useful when it comes to the distribution of leveling points.

Wouldn't that be nice. You and I think alike on this one. :)

Why can't devs provide the rules to the game like this? Is it because they are changing them up to the last minute before release for balance purposes? Or are they afraid of scaring off casual players? Or are they just sloppy or lazy?

I assume the manual is in German though?

No, translated to English. The BeNeLux release was a full English localization with an English manual that never made it to US/UK, didn't make it digitally to the US until months later, and still isn't out in the UK. This is one butchered release.

Any handbook at all sure would be nice, though. Actually, scrap that. I did not find the original Drakensang manual that helpful, either. What I really would like to have is a table that contains all skills or points and what attributes or other values they depend on, best with the actual formula. I guess that such a table would be one page at most, but it would be incredibly useful when it comes to the distribution of leveling points.

Hmmm, well the handbook provides an overview of skills, spells and abilities, but it's not very detailed. Our subsite has more details, we should have a subsite for TRoT up soon (I'm working on it). No easy-to-overview table.

It's not a bad manual, it's got some background and lore details, some overviews. It's not really necessary or incredibly helpful, though, I didn't really ever look to it when playing.

Why can't devs provide the rules to the game like this? Is it because they are changing them up to the last minute before release for balance purposes? Or are they afraid of scaring off casual players? Or are they just sloppy or lazy?

I think they figure it's unnecessary. The in-game interface is pretty clear and easy on what attributes apply to a skill when you mouse-over or click it.

The in-game interface is pretty clear and easy on what attributes apply to a skill when you mouse-over or click it.
While this is true, I cannot easily remember all that information at once. As each skill depends on three attributes (or two, one of each counting double) and as there are lots of attributes, I cannot remember all of this at once. If I want to know whether it makes more sense for my character to raise attribute A than attribute B, I have a lot of information to memorize, or write everything down.

Which reminds me that I have to look in the Drakensang 1 manual what increase type A, B, C, D, E meant.

I forgot it's even in the manual, but again, GB has it.

And yeah, I know what you mean about attributes and talents.

worth the money. dialogue is at times juvenile, but the overall story and gameplay were fun and enjoyable. dont regret this purchase a bit.

I realy apreciate that the story arch isnt "epic save the world" stock.

Well, NOW you know what the shortened Baldur's Gate manual did to ME !

Because ALL of this stuff you mention in this post is actually MISSING from the German-language Baldur's Gate manual !

You can compare it yourself . Here's a link to the German-languge handook : http://www.atarisupport.de/BG_manual_ger.pdf

Well, NOW you know what the shortened Baldur's Gate manual did to ME !

Because ALL of this stuff you mention in this post is actually MISSING from the German-language Baldur's Gate manual !

You can compare it yourself . Here's a link to the German-languge handook : http://www.atarisupport.de/BG_manual_ger.pdf
Well, that handbook at least contains a nice explanation of ETW0 (THAC0) and how to calculate that, with examples. But yes, the table with boni and mali from attributes seems to be missing ("see table B4 on page XXX" :D). I remember that the German company that had licensed the tabletop AD&D at that time sent cease & desist letters to any Baldur's Gate forum where someone dared to answer a question like "What does THAC0 mean?", which didn't make things easier.

However, I managed to pick up the AD&D2 rules relatively quickly from BG, while TDE is a bit more baroque in this regard. Admittedly, Drakensang is quite sparse on rules material that is actually used, but a one-attribute dependency is easier for me to remember than a three-attribute one.

I had a very hard time with the (A)D&D rules, then - and even nowadays I don't think I understand everything.

By the way, the publisher issues a press release today. Timely, isn't it? Available on GG, Impulse and Steam, apparently, though I don't see it on Steam.

Such a hatchet job.

Back
Top Bottom