Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Updates #1 & 2

Well, one reason this kickstarter succeeded where other good ideas/games have failed is that this was one of the best put together kickstarters I have seen.

I couldn't agree more. It certainly caught my attention.

The financial instability of the project combined with the "mystery millionaire" who won't fund the project unless it can earn 300 million euro on Kickstarter just doesn't instill me with enough confidence that this will ever get made (or, if it does, that it ever gets past Act I which they say is all they are currently budgeting). I'll wait until I actually see a product before thinking about paying for it.

The financial instability of the project combined with the "mystery millionaire" who won't fund the project unless it can earn 300 million euro on Kickstarter just doesn't instill me with enough confidence that this will ever get made (or, if it does, that it ever gets past Act I which they say is all they are currently budgeting). I'll wait until I actually see a product before thinking about paying for it.

Jesus fucking christ people, inform yourself before getting your panties in a bunch.

There is NO MYSTERY MILLIONAIRE. In my FIRST POST OF THIS THREAD, I wrote a little financial analysis and the freaking NAME of the investor. It is one of the wealthiest businessmen in Czechland, net worth 1.5 billion dollars.
The reason why they run the kickstarter, is because ALL PUBLISHERS refused to sign the game. So this investor got a bit unconvinced that there is interest in this game, after all, 15 biggest publishers cannot be wrong, right ? (Yes they can and are). He already invested 1.5 million dollars into development, so you can imagine that he actually wants some return, and won't just can the game for no reason.

So they made a deal with him, that if they raise 500,000 bucks via KS, he will fund the rest of the development, and the money they raise on KS, all of it, will go towards development as well, while having no effect on the money investor provides (say if they raise 500,000 bucks, he will give them 8 million. If they raise 3 million, he will still give them 8 million, and they will have the 3 extra for development, barring kickstarter physical rewards).

There is nothing shady, mysterious or unstable about this.

And jeeeeez, they want to raise 300,000 pounds (500,000 dollars).

Where the hell did you come up with 300 million euros?

And I am dissapointed nobody got my baking joke (and fixed the article :))

There is NO MYSTERY MILLIONAIRE. In my FIRST POST OF THIS THREAD, I wrote a little financial analysis and the freaking NAME of the investor. It is one of the wealthiest businessmen in Czechland, net worth 1.5 billion dollars.
Don't see any mention of the name you posted on the official Kickstarter information, updates, or anything else. I mean that's great that you may have the information, but the official pitch is still based on a Man Of Mystery as far as I can see, and that was the point here.

I understand why the officially unnamed investor might scare off some, but the situation strikes me as quite logical.

First, you have to take the leap of faith that the investor actually exists and these developers, some of whom have been in the business for quite some time if they worked on Hidden & Dangerous (incidentally, an awesome game back in the day), are not completely lying. I doubt this group of accomplished devs is risking their professional reputations and careers by lying to such a degree. I am willing to, and did, take that leap of faith.

After that, it seems to me the devs were quite upfront about an understandable situation. They said the investor doesn't follow the industry closely and wanted to gauge the market, considering major publishers had determined, apparently erroneously, there wasn't much demand for their game. (Let's face it, publishers, on the whole, are bean-counting suits who care nothing for our hobby other than just wanting to hit the lottery by blindly stumbling across the next Angry Birds, which only costs them a $2 quick-pick ticket.)

We already know Kickstarter often has been used for little more than gauging interest and garnering publicity, and it seems to be quite good at that. Entirely logical. Rich guys don't get rich throwing their money away stupidly. Self-made rich guys got that way because they're tight with a dime, and that doesn't change later, no matter how many dimes they amass.

Now, regular working stiffs like me throw our money away on Kickstarters and quick picks all the time. Maybe that's why we never have much of the stuff. I believe in you, Zdenek Bakala, and I believe one of my quick picks is going to land my bio right next to yours in Forbes one day. :p

Last edited:
Don't see any mention of the name you posted on the official Kickstarter information, updates, or anything else. I mean that's great that you may have the information, but the official pitch is still based on a Man Of Mystery as far as I can see, and that was the point here.

Well they do not want to draw attention to him I guess (or he asked them not to), but it is not unknown information, both rockpapershotgun and Eurogamer disclosed it. Of course for me as someone who follows the game since their first ever blogpost about it:

http://warhorsestudios.cz/index.php?page=blog&entry=blog_004&lang=en

I knew it was backed by Bakala from way back then.

Another thing, Dan Vavra and his team are extremely well known in Czechland. He writes for largest gaming magazine here, wrote for largest gaming website and often appears on their video podcast, he wrote an article titled "100+ reasons why I dislike Skyrim", he wrote and designed most famous CZ videogame (Mafia).. it is not like he is some unknown quantity that will take the money and run.

…and the pitch itself was impressive, even more than I expected.

he wrote an article titled "100+ reasons why I dislike Skyrim",.

Is there an English version of that online somewhere? I would be interested in reading it.

OMG
I want that article too!
Perhaps will add a few reasons of my own.

Last edited:
Hell Cleve Blackmore might release another Mega-Super-Demo of Grimoire by then.

What are you trying to say? Cleve's feeling no pressure.

This is one of the more realistic approaches to financing a Kickstarter I've seen. They know how about much it will take to build this game, and they are up front about the requirement. It's an improvement on Legends of Eisenwald, where they ran out of money before they finished and had to go shopping for an investor. I don't have an issue with this game's investor not being named; it's the game developers that are being trusted with the investment.

The biggest drawback: if they have one giant investor and a multitude of tiny ones, which audience will they listen to?

Last edited:
This is one of the more realistic approaches to financing a Kickstarter I've seen. They know how about much it will take to build this game, and they are up front about the requirement. It's an improvement on Legends of Eisenwald, where they ran out of money before they finished and had to go shopping for an investor. I don't have an issue with this game's investor not being named; it's the game developers that are being trusted with the investment.

The biggest drawback: if they have one giant investor and a multitude of tiny ones, which audience will they listen to?

Their investor does not tell them what to do. That is the most beautiful thing here, he lets them do all the decisions, unlike what publishers would do.

Well... it's a story on the internet, but it's a damn nice one. :)

I suppose it is. And the only thing I'm risking is $25, which will likely get me a game that is worth more than that.

Jesus fucking christ people, inform yourself before getting your panties in a bunch.

You opened your post with "Jesus Fucking Christ"... so tell me, exactly whose panties are in a bunch? :)

Paul said:
The reason why they run the kickstarter, is because ALL PUBLISHERS refused to sign the game. So this investor got a bit unconvinced that there is interest in this game, after all, 15 biggest publishers cannot be wrong, right ? (Yes they can and are). He already invested 1.5 million dollars into development, so you can imagine that he actually wants some return, and won't just can the game for no reason.

So if this guy worth 1.5 billion dollars and HE is concerned, and no publishers will even sign the game, why shouldn't I as a consumer and potential investor be concerned? It sounds to me like NO ONE on the business side has a whole lot of confidence in the project.

Paul said:
So they made a deal with him, that if they raise 500,000 bucks via KS, he will fund the rest of the development, and the money they raise on KS, all of it, will go towards development as well, while having no effect on the money investor provides (say if they raise 500,000 bucks, he will give them 8 million. If they raise 3 million, he will still give them 8 million, and they will have the 3 extra for development, barring kickstarter physical rewards).

Only that's not exactly what they have said. Granted. maybe it is just the language barrier.

Paul said:
There is nothing shady, mysterious or unstable about this.

In your opinion. A game where "if we don't earn money from KS the primary investor will pull out" doesn't sound entirely stable to me.

Paul said:
And jeeeeez, they want to raise 300,000 pounds (500,000 dollars).

Where the hell did you come up with 300 million euros?

Thought the pound sign was a euro sign. So sue me. Guess I shoulda just said "A shitload of money", that would about cover it. :p

Back
Top Bottom