The Witcher - Enhanced Edition Interview @ RPS

Witcher elixirs sounds cool, but may be difficult to really sell... like... what would they be? I could see it as a cool promotional item that has some vodka or something similar in each vial... hmm.

Yup, box doesn't have to be big. 4 or 5 vials would do it. But (if you really wanted an original promotion) I would go for unusual (but not yucky) alcohols and not your boring, everyday vodka. Unless you have an access to "Cat" or "Blizzard" potions :)

Well obviously they'd be a bit more exotic... but we are a Polish company, so vodka (or wodka) is a pretty natural fit. I'll just make my own blends. Beware!

Well obviously they'd be a bit more exotic... but we are a Polish company, so vodka (or wodka) is a pretty natural fit. I'll just make my own blends. Beware!

Lol at least give them Soplica! As for your own blends.... does amber disolve in alcohol? Would be extremly Polish! :D

Here's the qoute from RPS in its entirety:

RPS said:
RPS:
Would The Witcher would have been very different if made by a Western developer? Or do the fundamental mechanics of a strong roleplaying game outweigh such cultural differences?

Answer:
Cultural differences definitely have a great impact on the game. The Witcher would certainly have been different, even if it was made by another team in Poland. It might be quite similar if developed by another European company. It’d have been a completely different style of RPG if done by Americans. I can bet I’d never recognize it’s even “witcher-like” if the game had been made by a Japanese developer. I’m not even trying to imagine which would be better… but for sure they would be different. We didn’t want to make a “Polish game” as we did want to make it universal and accessible for everyone all over the world. But still we encouraged our designers to use our own culture as a base for ideas, as it’s something we understand the best and can use to make The Witcher unique. I think it’s a question that requires a much expansive answer.

It comes as no surprise to that a game from Central Europe of course has a Central European feel to it, just as Danish made game could have a Danish feel to it. The uniqueness of *the witcher* certainly comes from the fact that the game has been developed by a Polish (or European) game developer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom