Play Geneforge... Seriously!

narpet

Sentinel
Okay, so I'm playing Geneforge 1... I knew I would enjoy it because I've enjoyed Jeff's other titles. But I had never played any of the Geneforge games.

If you've played it... you know whether you like it or not... but if you haven't played it, you really owe it to yourself to download it (www.spiderwebsoftware.com) and try the demo.

For me... this game has it all... except of course for shiny graphics :)

The beginning is a little slow, but you gradually become embroiled in a multi-faceted storyline that allows you to make your own decisions and choices. I'm about 20 hours into the game right now and I am VERY impressed.

The things you do, and the choices you make actually affect what happens in the game, and how certain factions treat you. The game is huge... with tons of NPCs that have well-written personalities and dialogues.

I like the turn-based combat... some people won't. It seems quite shallow at first, but the more you play, the more you learn that specific strategies are needed for specific types of enemies.

There was a thread about immersion a few days ago... well let me tell ya... I am immersed in this game. The world is interesting. The story is really good. The amount of choices and consequences are immense (for a budget priced indie game).

In all seriousness... if you haven't played this game, and you love CRPGs, you should at least give it a try. Skipping it because of its old world look is a really bad decision that could allow you to miss a truly immersive, exciting, well-written game. And since you can play a pretty sizeable portion of it without paying a dime, you will be able to decide whether it's worth your hard-earned cash before you buy it (or throw it away).

If you've already played it you either know what I mean, or you think I'm nuts...

And I'm going to now make a statement that will shock and amaze many of you...

Get ready for it...

I am enjoying this game quite a bit more than I did The Witcher <ducks for cover>... That's right... I said it... :blush:

I really enjoyed The Witcher, but it just didn't do for me what it apparently did for so many others... don't get me wrong... I thought it was a great game. But since I'm playing Geneforge right after finishing The Witcher it's easy for me to compare the amount of fun I'm having between the two games.

And... I'm having more fun playing Geneforge than I did while I was playing The Witcher. I can't explain it really... but Geneforge just has a better setting, story, and gameplay... as far as I'm concerned.

Okay... I'm ready for my multiple beatings with a flail made of twenty-sided dice ;)

I love the Geneforge games as well ... can't wait for the next one!

I absolutely agree. The geneforge games are excellent. I especially enjoyed the first one. I'm not a big fan of the avernum games, they were good, but not great. Geneforge is the best thing done by Jeff IMO.

I adore the Geneforge series. And while the first one is absolutely outstanding, something gets lost with the increasing of the numbers in the title up to the point of me not finishing G4 because at some point I got tired of the same old same old.

And Avernum is pretty good as well, however I prefer A1-3 to 4 or 5.

GF is a great game, we've been saying that here for years. Better than the Witcher???? Sorry, but for me, NO!!

Geneforge rocks. The first one is the best - it really is one of the best RPGs ever made. I thought GF4 was pretty darn good, as well.

Better than The Witcher? Dunno...but maybe it is. It really is an awesome game. I'm finishing AV5 at the moment and although I took a break in the middle for a couple of weeks, it's torn me away from other shiny new stuff. Still haven't really played MotB, for example.

Hm, with the strong Euro right now this could be an idea ...

At least I'll keep it in mind ...

Actually if Geneforge was made using a modern engine it would be perceived way better than the Witcher. However, I find the text descriptions of the surrounding area, items, or monsters very good substitute to good graphics. I know the text is there with the idea to compensate, but it does more - it generates a great athmosphere way better than what graphics can create. For example, the most mundane of tasks - opening a door or using a lockpick - is a unique experience in the first game.

Back
Top Bottom