Elite: Dangerous Pricing & Preorders

What disturbs me most about this is the way the cancelled offline SP is communicated. Technical reasons? The game is supposed to be released in December. They must have known they were going to cut it and move the resources to other features at least 6 months ago. And they're communicating it now, hidden in a blog post full of PR BS and sell it as a feature?! Frankly, this is not what I would call honest communication with your backers.
If I were a backer I would remember this for a long time, because it shows the developer's disrespect towards the people who funded their game.
There are other ways to communicate such a decision.

Yeah - reaction was as expected: tons of people not reading past the headline and denouncing the game for dropping single player completely. MUCH better around here, thank goodness.

It does seem bad that they would wait so long to announce this. I *do* think it would be possible that they didn't know until recently, though. They may have been trying to emulate a proper economy and are just now figuring out that it isn't going to work by release day.

Oh well, I didn't back so it makes no difference to me what the promised. If the game looks to be fun then I'll buy it. I'm sure some kindly reviewers will tell me if single and/or group play works well.

I would still like my money back if there was a way. The single player offline mode was why I backed it in the first place.

If I want to play EVE, I can just play EVE.

They prioritized the MMO side of it, instead of prioritizing the single player game. Their predecessors were single player! Why is the MMO side so much more seductive for the developers?

Yeah, I was thinking of trying this, given how much time I spent in X3, but not this way. I hate MMO dynamics in games like this.

Well, this one's just dropped off my radar, barring some massive "hey, somehow it actually works offline!" posts down the line. I'm a single-player only sort of gamer and don't want to have other people affecting what I'm doing at all.

Why is the MMO side so much more seductive for the developers?
That's easy: pirates. If you want your game to do well outside of the western nations then make a great, single player game. If you want it to SELL well then find some reason to tie an account to it. (It has better be a legit reason, though, as EA found out with SimCity.)

So I guess this has been released? How is it? Any impressions? It looks pretty enough, that's for sure.

How is the "always online" thing handled? Is it like a true MMO where you log into some remote server? Does it work with subscription fees? Or is it a one-time cost?

It was very quietly released. I don't have the game, but I believe it is a once off purchase with logging into a server (Guild Wars style).

I would love another Elite game, but there just seems to be too many warning flags at the moment with this one. Usually, if something sounds a bit off, then it is. Which isn't a good look, since the game appears to be dependent on future content updates to expand the current game play options based on what other players seem to be saying.

Back
Top Bottom