What if Quake was made today?

Even so, most shooters still suck like they always did :)

Though I'm very fond of MP BF3!

Haha yeah i saw that video some days ago, its right on the spot. Shooters used to be a lot of fun, i have very fond memories of Quake1-2 and Dark Forces..

I still like realistic "open world" shooters like ARMA though, can't wait for ARMA3, graphics are even more impressive than BF3 from what i've seen.

Seriously, though, there's a good point there - even if it's exaggerated.

About shooters, I was hugely impressed with Wolfenstein 3D as an Amiga owner - and it was one of the things that drove me towards PC. The technology was amazing, truly.

Then came Doom - and everyone had to play it, and of course so did I. But I was tired of the gameplay within a few levels.

When Quake came, it was one of the first games to take advantage of 3D accelerators - and I spent a lot of time just looking at it and testing it. But I didn't really play it much - as it was as boring as all the others. Then I discovered multiplayer - and became a huge fan. I remained a fan of the frantic deathmatch/CTF gameplay all the way until Quake 3 - where I decided that I'd had enough.

Since then, I've only been looking at shooters because of my general interest in gaming and technology. I hardly ever play them much, though I've enjoyed some of them in a mild way.

System Shock took the basic shooter gameplay and introduced something that I've never been able to ignore. It was just so much more "my kind of game", that I haven't been able to really enjoy a pure shooter since then. Half Life came around, and was heralded as some kind of revolution - where as I just saw it as a hugely inferior version of System Shock - though I understand that it didn't try to do quite the same thing. But it was certainly the first shooter with a narrative that got so much praise. I guess I was kinda pissed, because SS was a comparative failure financially.

These days, almost every new shooter is a derivative clone of something from the past. There's no true gameplay innovation in that genre - and games like Medal of Honor and Call of Duty have cemented a certain playstyle that gets only incremental improvements.

Recently, Battlefield 3 impressed the hell out of me from a technical standpoint - and it's the first PC game in years to really push the platform. For that alone, I'm a fan - and the level of sophistication of the MP gameplay is so far ahead of games like Quake, that I can't even put it into words.

Given the choice between a modern "hardcore" Quake and something like Battlefield 3 - I'd never give that Quake a single look. That time is long past.

As much as I hate the 5-hour SP campaigns of modern shooters - I have to recognise that the MP implementation is FAR ahead of what we had back then.

So, I don't think the video is fair - unless you focus exclusively on SP - and you forget how simplistic it was, even though it was a lot more hardcore.

You have seen almost only the action sequence. Or t least concentrated on it.
But the satire begins even earlier. It's in all of these references to middleware. In all of these different "splash screens" or how these things are called.
To make this part more apparent, they should have included Aldi Süd (now THAT is something every German understands - as a satire !), but a lot of more of these middleware-screens. Up to 10.000.

Edit : These "middleware-announcement-screens" by the way blur the border or the exact line of who is the producer of this game. You can't say anymore "it's by ID !" - because there are so many other middleware compabnies involved with each one claiming a part of the cake of success by showing themselves quite clearly in the very beginning of the game (through 10.000 middleware-announcing screens) ... There's no clear brand names there anymore. Everything becomes blurred.

So, I don't think the video is fair - unless you focus exclusively on SP - and you forget how simplistic it was, even though it was a lot more hardcore.

I got the impression that it was more about being hardcore, not complexity.

As far as it being exaggerated, yeah, that's the whole point.

I got the impression that it was more about being hardcore, not complexity.

For SP, that's partially true - though you can of course adjust the difficulty in modern shooters as well and level design is not the only feature that can be "hardcore".

But for MP, a game like Battlefield 3 is a LOT more hardcore to me than Quake ever was. But that's in terms of what you need to do and what you need to know to succeed. The level of "cerebral" investment required to be the best is off-the-scale compared to Quake.

However, I'd say that MP Quake is much more "pure" and it takes a lot more of a certain skill-set than pretty much any other shooter. But it's a very different kind of skill-set.

I couldn't say demanding one set of skills as opposed to another set of skills is more hardcore. The reason BF3 is more hardcore to me, is because I don't have the required skill-set in a natural way. I had that when I played Quake.

As far as it being exaggerated, yeah, that's the whole point.

Yeah, but the reason you exaggerate with something like this is to make a point. The point is what I'm saying is somewhat unfair.

Unless the point is that games are different today, without being less or more hardcore.

Yeah, but the reason you exaggerate with something like this is to make a point. The point is what I'm saying is somewhat unfair.

I don't think it was just about making a point though. He was obviously shooting (no pun intended) for some laughs as well.

I know that this has been posted before, but it deserves to be posted again
leveldesignclassic.jpg

And when it comes to just open ended level design, I do wish we would return to 1993 (or even better, 1998, according to Thief's standard).

Back
Top Bottom