Skyrim review @ Gamebanshee

Drithius

Magic & Loss
Some high points, but generally an unfavorable review.
http://www.gamebanshee.com/reviews/106232-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-review.html
If you've made it this far, then you've probably figured out that I wasn't a huge fan of Skyrim. This isn't too surprising, since the elements that I care about in role-playing games don't mesh well with much of what Bethesda typically has to offer in their games. I prefer PC games, the third person perspective, clean interfaces, story-driven campaigns, and complicated character builds (with actual numbers), while Bethesda prefers exactly the opposite. We are not a match made in heaven.

But even so, my issues with the game are mostly a matter of opinion. I found it to be rather large and dull, with way too much repetition and only a handful of interesting quests, but other people might enjoy the sightseeing and the spelunking, and not notice the deficiencies at all — or not even consider them to be deficiencies. I was one of the few people who enjoyed Hellgate: London, and it's possible I'll be one of the few people who dislikes Skyrim (at least for the first six months, before the critical editorials start coming out). Regardless, Skyrim is a game worth checking out, if for no other reason than to see what everybody's talking about. Just don't go in expecting it to be a nearly perfect RPG, or you might find yourself a bit disappointed.

Hmmm is steven carter brother none? If so, not surprising.

Steven Carter said:
it's possible I'll be one of the few people who dislikes Skyrim (at least for the first six months, before the critical editorials start coming out).

:lol:

So I guess he doesn't like Bethesda much. I can see his point on the low stat transparency for Skyrim, but Morrowind is very stat driven and transparent and I think the story is fantastic? I also sort of agree that Skyrim's story is a bit thin compared to Morrowind and even Oblivion. Still a great game though and its hard to argue against the mechanic improvements.

I agree with most of this review. But he should really try some more misc.-quest -> there some good ones to find.
Repetitive gameplay is quite normal in a sandbox game (Elite, Stalker,…).
It's not a fault it is a design choice.
The story is weaker this time, questlines don't interfere much. But game balance in combat, economy and character creation is much better than in Morrowind and Oblivion (Combat - only if you'r playing on expert difficulty or higher).

Can't please everyone I guess. To me it just sounds like nitpicking, but I guess some people have stronger feelings about things. He's missing out though if he can't find some enjoyment from it. And it really baffles me how so-called RPG fans who are fans of the genre can't find something to like about Skyrim. I mean the game itself is a love letter to RPG gaming. To each their own I guess.

He clearly states his issues with the game are mostly a matter of opinion. The review didn't come off as overly negative to me, and you can't expect everyone to have the same taste.

He clearly states his issues with the game are mostly a matter of opinion. The review didn't come off as overly negative to me, and you can't expect everyone to have the same taste.

I agree.

And with all of the frothing 250% scores on the 'bought' sites, any criticism at all comes across like a 'scathing review'.

doesnt come off as negative, just uninterested. Good review tho, sans the hype you usually get w/ the Skyrim reviews, even tho I disagree and think it's a great game. As good as Morrowind, there I said it. And those are huge shoes to fill, Morrowind was my first RPG true love.

But he should really try some more misc.-quest -> there some good ones to find.

The problem is that the haystack is IMO just too large and you don't know a priori how many needles there are and whether you will find them.

I "finished" the game after "only" 99 hours and probably I haven't seen the best bits that Skyrim has to offer in terms of small yet interesting quests. But I am completely saturated and fed up due to all that hay and can't bring myself to go back. Perhaps in the future I might return.

I mean the game itself is a love letter to RPG gaming.

No it isn't. The concept of an RPG is very broad and RPG's can consist of many different elements, which are sometimes mutually exclusive. It is impossible to create an RPG that excels in everything so most games tend to focus on certain areas while sacrificing others. As a consequence, certain player profiles may adore a particular RPG whereas other type of players may not care for it at all, yet none are less RPG fan than the other. Most (veteran) RPG players understand this but, personally, I sometimes get annoyed by the BioWare and Bethesda fanboys who think in absolute terms.

The problem is that the haystack is IMO just too large and you don't know a priori how many needles there are and whether you will find them.

I "finished" the game after "only" 99 hours and probably I haven't seen the best bits that Skyrim has to offer in terms of small yet interesting quests. But I am completely saturated and fed up due to all that hay and can't bring myself to go back. Perhaps in the future I might return.

Nicely put Asdraguuhl. I have reached my saturation point after 110 hours and for the very same reasons. I know that there are still needles left but I just can't be bothered to look for them. I will return to Skyrim when CS will be released but I am done for now...

I disagree that Skyrim isn't a love letter to RPG gaming. To me, it seems like Skyrim is made by RPG players for RPG players. It's like a huge labor of love. This is just my opinion. I also think Skyrim is great for the RPG genre as a whole.

I am just genuinely shocked when I read negative opinions of Skyrim. It's like looking at a girl and thinking she is beautiful. You figure the whole world shares that opinion, but there are a few people who will say she's ugly. Or a few people will point out insignificant flaws, like a pimple on her cheek. It doesn't make sense to me, but as they say, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

I am just genuinely shocked when I read negative opinions of Skyrim. It's like looking at a girl and thinking she is beautiful. You figure the whole world shares that opinion, but there are a few people who will say she's ugly. Or a few people will point out insignificant flaws, like a pimple on her cheek. It doesn't make sense to me, but as they say, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".
You sound like a fanboy Fluent. I LIKE Skyrim! I think that 110 (or 99) hours of play is an excellent value for my money. But why should it stop me from discussing the good as well as not-so-good (not necessarily bad Fluent, just not-so-good)?
You think that Bethesda might read my comments and decide that it's not worth their while to make any more RPGs?

Last edited:
I prefer to look at the big picture of the game. The big picture of Skyrim to me, is perfection. It's a perfect game. I admire the beauty and forget about the flaws. Have I found flaws? Of course, just like any other game in existence. I just choose to tune them out. And I'm positive none of the flaws has hindered my enjoyment of the game in the least. But if you want to report on those flaws, feel free. I'm not going to nitpick the game to death.

I just enjoy the game for what it is. I don't see why everyone who loves RPGs can't do the same. My main point was, I'll never understand someone who claims to love RPGs having a preference that makes playing an RPG unplayable for them. Like this reviewer. It just doesn't make sense to me. You should have room in your heart for all types of RPGs, not just one. If you have certain preferences within the RPG genre itself, maybe you're being too picky, or too unrealistic, hoping for a game to come along that is perfect for your preferences. You may be waiting a long time if that's the case.

Every RPG in the history of RPGs has had at least one redeeming quality that made it fun in some way. I have never in my 20 years of gaming come across an RPG that I simply couldn't play and get some enjoyment out of. I guess that comes from my SNES days, where I would rent a new game every 3 days and never knew what I was getting, so if I rented a "bad" game, I would play it anyway and have fun with it for awhile. I had no choice. I still have that type of mindset today.

I'll never understand someone who claims to love RPGs having a preference that makes playing an RPG unplayable for them.

I'll preface this by saying, I just bought Skyrim and it's currently downloading. However, I expect to see a lot of generic content that turned me off from Oblivion. I finally bought it it mainly because of the opinions of people on this site whom I trust (that and winter boredom).

Generic open world sandbox RPGs and more linear RPGs are completely different genres in my opinion and disliking one does not preclude you from liking the other.

Also, I don't understand your use of the word perfection with simultaneous talk of flaws. Just because you turn a blind eye to these flaws does not mean others place the same level of (un)importance on them.

It's hard to explain, but the best way I can put it is, the whole is much greater than the sum of it's parts. Maybe perfect isn't the right word. But it's like a good movie, or a good book. Sure there are lines here and there that you would change, but deep down, the movie or book is perfect to you. A complete work of art. I know it doesn't make sense, but it's the best way I can explain it. I feel Skyrim is a perfect game despite having flaws.

Generic open world sandbox RPGs and more linear RPGs are completely different genres in my opinion and disliking one does not preclude you from liking the other.

I guess this is proven true by people like the reviewer who won't play Skyrim but will play other RPGs (probably Bioware games, judging from his preferences). It still seems odd to me that people will dismiss entire games in a genre they love for such seemingly trivial reasons (third person perspective preference? Clean interfaces?). I'm just speaking for myself, and while I do have preferences to what I prefer in RPGs, I can still play nearly ever RPG out there and find something fun about it.

I think of Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning when I think about this. There is a game that goes against what most of my hardcore preferences are, yet I'm still excited to play it, because it's still an RPG and it delivers other quality content that I can appreciate. But if asked to build an RPG for you, it would probably be the polar opposite to Reckoning. But that doesn't mean I won't have a blast with it when it comes out.

Maybe people are sometimes too stuck in their ways, and can't appreciate things for what they are, rather than what they wished them to be.

Last edited:
I think the problem with a review that is so "after the fact" like this is that it's hard to shake the suspicion that the reviewer is being critical simply to separate himself "from the crowd." There's certainly a place for different opinions and critical analysis, but it's hard to tell from reading a late review whether or not the writer is simply nit-picking or being "fair" with his criticism; sometimes it feels like he is being contrarian just for sake of being contrarian, although the review is fortunately written in an objective enough tone to make me feel that the writer isn't simply "anti-Bethesda." He also points out that his personal preferences conflict with the very goals of The Elder Scrolls' design, and I appreciate his honesty in mentioning that.

Ultimately, it's pretty difficult to find truly fair and honest reviews for a game like Skyrim; there are too many extremes involved, ranging from overly glowing praise to overly nit-picky criticism, with seemingly no middle ground for simultaneously highlighting the parts that are excellent and criticizing the elements that are legitimately worth criticism.

Ultimately, it's pretty difficult to find truly fair and honest reviews for a game like Skyrim; there are too many extremes involved, ranging from overly glowing praise to overly nit-picky criticism, with seemingly no middle ground for simultaneously highlighting the parts that are excellent and criticizing the elements that are legitimately worth criticism.

The CRPG-Meter system tries to be fair:
CRPG-Meter for Skyrim

Can't please everyone I guess. To me it just sounds like nitpicking, but I guess some people have stronger feelings about things. He's missing out though if he can't find some enjoyment from it. And it really baffles me how so-called RPG fans who are fans of the genre can't find something to like about Skyrim. I mean the game itself is a love letter to RPG gaming. To each their own I guess.

QFT

This reviewer reminded me of some other 'CRPG' sites. The irony being they tear down any attempt at modern CRPGs yet are self defeating their own purpose. As it becomes more important to geek out and out show your RPG 'cred' over supporting developers who take a stab at a CRPG. And this reviewer seems to be in the same boat IMO. He claims to be a pro-RPGer yet hardly could find anything to like?

Back
Top Bottom