Your favorite game location

Artran

Watchdog
I've just got an interesting idea... What is your favorite game location? I mean location close to your heart, so to speak. Do you have some?

I have two: Trynton in Wizardy 8 and Old City in Wizardry 7.

When I after some years start to play Wiz 7 under Dosbox and I went to Old City it was rather sentimetal for me. I felt that this is the place where start the Great Adventure. And Trynton from Wiz 8 is so mysterious place... with shaman and traces of Marten...

It's strange but there must be Something in PC games when this could happen.

Last edited:
I've played hundreds of CRPGs over the years... and I have a ton of great gaming memories... but it's weird because I don't have that many actual game locations that are special to me.

The one that stands out the most is one that many people may not expect. Instead of being a place from a fairly recent game where the graphics and sound allowed you to feel like you were there... it's a place from the days of DOS games when graphics were just a means to spark your imagination.

The city of Phlan from the original (gold box) Pool of Radiance. If you look at it now (and I do quite often) it just looks like blocks with doors. But the first time I played it... my imagination did the job of transporting me to the first city of the Forgotten Realms that anyone had ever actually seen on a computer. I don't remember it as a blocky place with doors... I remember it as a city in peril... a living, breathing place that is in need of a hero.

And somehow (maybe because I was there when it first came out) I can still play that game and be transported to that place again.

I'd have to say the town in Quest for Glory.

Artran: whats amazing is how no game that I have played has come close to using 3d as well as Wiz8 has. And that was Sirteks first 3d game that I know about. Either it was beginners luck or devs were just a lot better back then. (Bringing up trinton reminded me of this random and offtopic thought).

Avlee and the Bracada Desert in Might and Magic VII. With the Fly spell, of course, cruising high above the wizard towers and shooting it out with the griffins :)

Trynton was neat as a concept, but hard to get around in. All the areas in Wiz8 were well done, though. I felt most comfortable out in the dangerous but easily maneuverable open areas like the swamps--that cracker with the general store and all the great voice acting in that game--each little race, group and character had it's own personality. Ah, good times.

off the top of my head, I'll have to say the Ocean House Hotel from Vampire: Bloodlines.

Also really liked Morrowind's Sadrith Mora, The Lost Valley from Tomb Raider, theres a lot more that I really had fun in, but the Ocean House did stir my emotions like none other!

Moonglow in Ultima 9, it was simply magical. I also love Moonglow in Ultima Online. Also, that city in Morrowind, I think it was Vivec. It was so huge and grand. This marked the first time that I felt video games captured an epic size for a city.

greece in the original tomb raider, and suprisingly in the remake anniversary. technically four levels but all the different 'god' related traps and puzzles were fun 10 years ago and last month.

the old camp in gothic. thanks for being my friend diego...

cairo in deus ex 2. i've replayed the game at least 3 times and after that level i often find myself loosing interest. the zones may be small but every squarefoot is worth exploring.

how about la as my favourite location for bloodlines, its all too good.

all for now

The Lost City of Anodunos was so impressive in its atmosphere, and sadness, I will never forget it.
Hm, Gothic? Xardas' old tower, somehow a really creepy place.

Almost forgot! Absolutely have to mention this one:
Shalebridge Cradle in thief 3....
I was alone at 2am in a darkroom when I entered the level... I had to
stop playing and continue in the morning cause It was so disturbing.

The first place that pops into my mind is Kuldahar, from Icewind Dale.

Maybe it was Jeremy Soule's transcendent score, but coming back to Kuldahar after the dangers faced in the Vale of Shadows, or Dragon's Eye.... you felt the safety of that small town... the tranquility.

I have to agree on a couple places in the original Icewind Dale installment, but I also thinkit had something to do with Soule's expertise in music.

But my all time favorite would have to bea Weathertop in Lord of the Rings Online. Just coming upon that place for the first time was simply amazing in all levels of gaming from atmospheric, musical, and graphical standpoints. Turbine did a perfect job in displaying the greatness of the ruins of Weathertop.

I'd say being inside of the Many in System Shock 2 was the most memorable location for me. It just creeped me out so much.

The other location would be the Oblivion gate at Kvatch. The first time I entered Oblivion, I was blown away. I was underwhelmed to find out that every gate looked almost identical to the first.

There are too many awesome locations in games to list here. The problem with the vast majority of games IMHO is poor gameplay but the artistic quality even of otherwise crappy games is usually top notch.

But to add a vote to this thread I'll mention Star Wars Galaxies which is offering players the opportunity to visit just about every POI known from the movies. From the deserts of Tatooine and the Mos Eisley cantina to the jungles of Yavin IV and to the lush forests of Endor and on to the tar pits of Dathomir this game and all of its locations/planets are a masterpiece of artistic design.
Sure, the gameplay has by now turned to complete crap since the game's launch in 2003 but for me as a Star Wars fan, it was the best thing evah just to explore these huge planets and to come across all those familiar looking places on these travels.

And to add a location from a single player game, I think my vote goes to that neat little waterfall and pond about half way between the temple area where the water mages are exploring the ruins of this ancient culture and the pirates/desert area in Gothic 2: NotR. You know, that place that had "Costa Rica" written all over it :biggrin: .

Several abandoned places in Gothic I, the tree town in Wizardry 8, and the "Blutzinnen" in ROA II, German-language version.

This is what instantly comes into my mind.

And yes, I think the very first dungeon in ROA I as well, for being the introduction into "real" role playing on the PC for me (although I touched Land Of Lore I and Albion shortly before it).

And yes, the towns of Albion really *breathe* ! That was a great encounter ! :) *sigh*

I'd say being inside of the Many in System Shock 2 was the most memorable location for me. It just creeped me out so much.

Eh, how could I forgot. For me it's the whole Citadel spacestation in System Shock 1 together with demonic Shodan. I still feel the absolute eerie loneliness and despair like from end of world!

The City from Thief series
Kuldahar from Icewind Dale (great music, the scenary...)
New Sorpigal from Might&Magic VI (I was dying to play another M&M after a five year pause, great mood)
Isle of Crypts - Hall of Gorrors from Wizardry VII (Beast of 1000 Eyes, Fiend of 9 Worlds... brrrr)

and many, many more places...

Each of my favorite RPGs had places I enjoyed a lot, and they were all a little different. Icewind Dale was full of beautiful, carefully-planned locations; Ultima Underworld where each level you decended down into just got better and better; the cities in the Baldur's Gate games that were jam-packed with encounters of every kind behind every door...

But if I had to pick one place to call my favorite, it would be The Old Camp in Gothic. No other place felt quite as much like home.

Kuldahar was beautiful, yes.

Back
Top Bottom