Icewind Dale: EE - On Sale

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Gah, Steam or GOG, where to grab it...

I felt like I was leaning toward Steam lately (despite being quite against it not too long ago, they reeled me in with their nice sales), but with that ugly "paid mod" business and their inability to prevent auto-patching (which is really annoying), I'm leaning toward GOG again, especially with Galaxy on the horizon...

For the same reason, I have yet to redeem my PoE key. I can't decide where I want it!

(They should really give indecisive KS backers 2 non-giftable keys for both platforms. :p)

Some of the games do :)

They give humble bundle which will provide a steam key or let you download drm free from humble bundle; one thing to look out for is that some humble bundle keys are steam only.

Gah, Steam or GOG, where to grab it…

For the same reason, I have yet to redeem my PoE key. I can't decide where I want it!

(They should really give indecisive KS backers 2 non-giftable keys for both platforms. :p)

Part of me realizes it's a no brainer to go GOG.. I mean, I will never have to worry about drm or being connected to steam or what have you..

Why would I go steam? For achievements? Hmmm, well it seems a bit shallow to have that as the only reason..

Part of me realizes it's a no brainer to go GOG.. I mean, I will never have to worry about drm or being connected to steam or what have you..

Why would I go steam? For achievements? Hmmm, well it seems a bit shallow to have that as the only reason..

The main advantage of Steam over GOG for me is the ability for painless auto-patching -- though ha, on the other side, I want to be able to turn that OFF too! -- and the fact that patches go up quicker on Steam than GOG (I get that impression at least).
But, with GOG Galaxy that should hopefully become a thing of the past, so I *am* leaning toward GOG again at the moment.

Also, Steam has slightly better sales than GOG usually, which is how they reeled me in in the first place.

With the recent Paid Mod mess that Steam nurtured, I'm going to make it a point to either buy from GoG or via Greenmangaming if the choice is available.

I felt like I was leaning toward Steam lately (despite being quite against it not too long ago, they reeled me in with their nice sales), but with that ugly "paid mod" business and their inability to prevent auto-patching (which is really annoying), I'm leaning toward GOG again, especially with Galaxy on the horizon…

You just convinced me. Im getting my key from GoG when its time for Torment release. Same for The new Bard's Tale and UW:Ascend. Galaxy so far has been cool.

Icewind Dale EE doesn't have Steam achievements just like many Steam games don't that are not a Steamworks title.
The vast majority of older and indie games on Steam do not come with any achievements so the only advantage or disadvantage, depending on point of view, is the easier setup and full auto-patching on Steam (which might change with the arrival of GOG Galaxy in the near future).

With the recent Paid Mod mess that Steam nurtured, I'm going to make it a point to either buy from GoG or via Greenmangaming if the choice is available.

If you buy steam keys from Greenmangaming (or even Amazon) , does Valve get a cut (30%) of the price? I would think not since Greenmangaming takes a cut, Valve takes a cut and nothing left for the devs!

I own it since release day, hoping for some balance modifications to better accomodate the powerful new classes.

I still don't really "get" achievements, if you don't get anything in game for them, they seem kind of empty.

Daniel.

I still don't really "get" achievements, if you don't get anything in game for them, they seem kind of empty.

Daniel.

You not heard of bragging rights when you were a kid?

You not heard of people who just like to collect stuff just for the sake of collecting?

:)

I felt like I was leaning toward Steam lately (despite being quite against it not too long ago, they reeled me in with their nice sales), but with that ugly "paid mod" business and their inability to prevent auto-patching (which is really annoying), I'm leaning toward GOG again, especially with Galaxy on the horizon…

Steam is the only choice really. You always use Steam as priority. Then GoG for GoG exclusives. Then Origin for Origin exclusives.

You not heard of bragging rights when you were a kid?

You not heard of people who just like to collect stuff just for the sake of collecting?

:)

Aye I guess, I just enjoy playing the games really. :)

Daniel.

Steam is the only choice really. You always use Steam as priority.

Mind sharing why exactly you feel like it's your only choice?

The other thing is, which I can really agree with: with Steam you're buying a service, with GOG a game.

I like the auto-update with Steam, you can even be in BETA's or get nightly builds for some games.. It's a great service, but perhaps by some questionable people ;)

Never played IWD, apart from the intro or whatever.. think it's time to buy this one, really loved BG2:EE, much more so than when i played it 10+ years ago..

My reasons to use Steam: I like my games in one place, sales, bundles, 1,2k games, I hate UPlay, cards to make money back… It's too late for me to turn back…

Btw, what's the consensus on Kingdoms of Amalur? I think I put 50+ hours in before I got bored. For me it really is a single-player MMO. Nice in the beginning but then the grind gets you. I felt they could have done more with the setting. Some ideas where good. Combat is too easy even on hard difficulty and if you do some side-quests you reach level cap after 1/2 to 2/3 of the game which is a bummer.

Steam has a better patching system but as someone mentioned, you don't get to turn it off unless you want to be offline the whole time. For example, when Pillars of Eternity launched with a couple game breaking bugs the steam users got the hotfix pretty much right away where as the GoG users had to twiddle their thumbs.

The other side of this coin however is that GoG users can decide if or when they'd like to patch, and the size of the patch will be much, much smaller (if monthly usage is a concern.) Another Pillars of Eternity example, if you're playing a Cipher and you don't want to download the latest patch that nerfs your class...you don't have to. Steam users will just have to suck it up.

GoG also makes a promise of no DRM ever, whereas Steam *is* DRM (albeit very user-friendly unlike most forms of DRM.)

Steam's advantage of its achievement system is going away with the upcoming GoG Galaxy providing the same feature.

If you buy steam keys from Greenmangaming (or even Amazon) , does Valve get a cut (30%) of the price? I would think not since Greenmangaming takes a cut, Valve takes a cut and nothing left for the devs!

Unless it's changed, valve only gets a cut of the games actually sold through steam directly. Games sold in retail or by other distributors don't give them a cut at all. The idea behind this from steam's perspective is it doesn't matter because it drives users to their service and those users will be more likely to buy their next game through their storefront.

Daniel.

They're not much different than quests!

Back
Top Bottom