Sounds like prince Harry's family is doing their own Brexit. (It's actually way easier to find news on that than Brexit! *facepalm*)

Yeah, seems like the Brexit is fixed, so it can now be eclipsed by more monumental events such as a young couple moving to Canada.

They'll likely be quite happy in Canada, people there will give them a wide berth and, in fact, might simply ignore them, for the most part. A lot of that will depend on where exactly they settle down, if they are smart they will land in Yellowknife or perhaps the Yukon, not somewhere like Toronto or Vancouver.

Freude, schöner Götterfunken,
Tochter aus Elysium!
Wir betreten feuertrunken,
Himmlische, Dein Heiligtum.

Deine Zauber binden wieder,
Was die Mode streng geteilt,
Alle Menschen werden Brüder,
Wo Dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

Ele le he he he he,
he he he he he he.
Boom Boom Boom Boom Boom houa
Be…… Berlin, Hamburg, Schumacher.

Ehen Ehen, Baden-Baden,
Lederhosen, schnell schnell schnell!
Ja ja, nein nein, Apfelstrudel,
Hoffmeister und Holsten-Pils.

Achtung, Liebfrauenmilch im Porsche, umpa, Vorsprung durch Technik,
Donner und Blitzen, britischer Architekt, Tomorrow belongs to me.
Schweinehund, Dummkopf, ein Bier bitte, Jürgen Klinsmann ist kaputt,
Boris Becker, Himmel, Boom Boom, Ich bin ein Berliner!

Ele le he, holen, Kindergarten, Glühwein, wo ist sein Skipass,
Edelweiß singt Captain von Trapp, dankeschön, auf Wiedersehen.
Pet.

Albert Einstein:
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Nationalism and populism is on the rise again - nothing good came ever out of it.

My assessment on Brexit is similar to this speech from Conservative MEP Richard Ashworth:

"For over 25 years no British prime minister ever explained to the British people what Europe did, what are the benefits and why it matters," he says.

"They never defended against the untruths that were spoken.

"Because of that the British press ran a 20-year campaign based on populist mistrusts, lies and deceit.

"The consequence of that in Britain is a sad nation divided like never before.

"So let Brexit stand as a cautionary tale to the people of Europe.

"You are the generation who have lived through the longest period of peace and the greatest level of prosperity ever.

"Never take it for granted - value it, fight for it, defend it every day."

Nationalism and populism is on the rise again - nothing good came ever out of it.
Symptoms.

People have never been very convinced by facts. Now, though, facts are flat out ignored. People are even PROUD of avoiding facts! Look at that business with Trump using a marker to overwrite the path of a hurricane a few months back. It was blatantly stupid and clearly wrong. But the response was to defend it anyway. People were even buying commemorative markers to remember how they proudly denied the obvious facts to back their hero. Such dedication!

So, uhhh, what was that bit about 63% of Brits not voting for Brexit? Is he assuming that every single person that didn't vote would have voted to remain?? And what's with blaming the media? Am I supposed to believe that there's been some media conspiracy for the past couple of decades? I do occasionally hear the BBC if I stay up too late - I seem to have somehow missed this evil conspiracy, though.

The Brits have a "the winner takes all" voting system for electoral districts - the rest of votes is ignored. -> look here

So you can get the absolute majority in seats, without having the absolute majority of votes. And hat happened in the last election.

Labour, Liberal Democrats, SNP and Greens have together more votes than the Torys, but less seats. These parties agreed to have a new poll about Brexit.

And what's with blaming the media? Am I supposed to believe that there's been some media conspiracy for the past couple of decades? I do occasionally hear the BBC if I stay up too late - I seem to have somehow missed this evil conspiracy, though.
Just google ‘media’ and ‘brexit’, and ‘Russia and influence brexit’ and you’ll find enough links that’ll answer your question.

I’ll give you two. I’m sure there are better out there:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_interference_in_the_2016_Brexit_referendum

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...s-divisive-report-kings-college-a7727716.html

Boris Johnson himself has reported quite negatively about Europe when he worked in Brussels, meaning he just made up things:
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...nson-brussels-bashing-stories-shaped-politics

No, no conspiracy, but in the media Europe was hardly ever pictured in a positive way. Which is was not much different from the situation on the continent - until Brexit.

Only in areas where the EU invested heavily, the areas that were more or less ignored by UK government before EU investments, like the poor areas in Wales, (local) newspapers reported in a positive way.
These are the areas that voted Remain and that fear a return of the old situation - apart from London, but London voting remain has more to do with the City (banks, international trade).

Last edited:
I'm still not following, @HiddenX;. The video was posted back in March. He can't be referencing the recent election. Isn't he referencing the leave/remain referendum? Was that done the same way?
@Eye;, what about national media?

Rupert Murdock is an important player in the UK.
Rupert Murdoch was once asked why he hated the EU so much. ‘That’s easy,’ he replied.’When I go into Downing Street they do what I say; when I go to Brussels they take no notice.’ No wonder, then, that he was an avid supporter of Brexit.

The reason why UK politicians find it so hard to resist Murdoch’s manipulation is simple: Murdoch controls well over 30% of the UK press, including the newspaper with the largest market share – the Sun. Murdoch’s 21st Century Fox also owns nearly 40% of Sky plc – the UK’s largest broadcaster in revenue terms – and is making strenuous efforts to gain full control of the company.

But hey, for other media there is no real incentive to bring good (boring) news either.
One gets more views/clicks when the news is outrageous.
Read the article about Boris Johnsons time in Brussels.

And as MEP Richard Ashworth pointed out: politicians were/are only too happy to blame Europe whenever there is negative feedback coming from organizations, companies, fellow politicians and voters, even if they themselves were part of the European decision process, they happily ignore the latter. Our PMs and ministers did and are doing exactly the same.
Europe is a scapegoat, a punching bag. And not many big players in the media are eager to do some research and/or to deny it.

Last edited:
So, uhhh, what was that bit about 63% of Brits not voting for Brexit? Is he assuming that every single person that didn't vote would have voted to remain??

The percentage of vote: 51.9% for Leave - one can only claim that the majority of the UK had chosen to leave the EU if there had been a 100% turnout.
The actual turnout rate was about 72% which means that only 37% of the eligible British electorate chose Leave (51.9% of 72% is 37%).
Meaning 63% did not vote that. Which is exactly what he is saying: 63% of Brits who did not vote for Brexit. For whatever reason I’d add. (Not saying they would have voted Remain.)

Mind you, the referendum at the time was to be advisory.

Last edited:
For those who would like a slightly different view of this affair, might I suggest watching an episode of my all-time favourite TV show, 'Yes Prime Minister'. In this instance it's the one where they discuss the Euro sausage vs the British sausage. It explains the 'British PoV perfectly!! :)

The percentage of vote: 51.9% for Leave - one can only claim that the majority of the UK had chosen to leave the EU if there had been a 100% turnout.
The actual turnout rate was about 72% which means that only 37% of the eligible British electorate chose Leave (51.9% of 72% is 37%).
Meaning 63% did not vote that. Which is exactly what he is saying: 63% of Brits who did not vote for Brexit. For whatever reason I’d add. (Not saying they would have voted Remain.)

Mind you, the referendum at the time was to be advisory.

Ok, but turns the numbers around and you have 34.6% who voted remain...
So it's still 37 vs 34. The whole point is that majority who voted did vote to leave.

I would have voted remain if I could, but playing with numbers is not helping anything.
That's how referenda work. If you don't vote, you don't have a say. If those people would have wanted to remain, they should have gone out and vote.

It was advisory, yes, so the government decided to take the public's advice.