Macs are a huge no to me as well. They are almost as bad as Linux.(n)

I ran a ubuntu game system at my parents house (it had a 1070); there are pro and con. The biggest issue is some of the games simply require windows - while many of them are later made to run under proton/wine not always. Also developers have mostly given up on native linux game (for example dos-1 supported linux but not dos-2).

With steamdeck and other devices using linux maybe this will eventually change but that is what keeps me running a window box (for gaming only). All email, video watching i use linux as i've been a unix user for 20+ years. The issue is when things 'break' on unix is getting help. That's not to say that MS is much help but things can break in really odd ways on linux esp after a really big update. More than once i've had to dig out how to get a system to boot after an update - weird things that break the kernel, video driver or even grub boot partition. I've always been able to recover without a fresh install but it has been annoying.
-
On the bright side there is no central registry - at least int he same form as windows so you don't get quite the same issue with everything breaking if trhe wrong variable in the central registry gets changed.
-
Anyway i recommend ubuntu not perfect but easy enough to use - just switch to xfce and customize the default desktop.

Btw: ONE big complaint I had with windows 11 is my mother was willing to setup a MS account (she has a new dell computer with windows 11) but her retirement account is an edu account and MS would not let her use it. They wanted her to create a NEW email account which she refused so i dug around for one of the work around but it was lame because it wouldn't let her skip the step nor use her .edu account. Talk about a really broken by default process. As corpse go i give MS an 'f' and apple a 'f-' so what does the normal person do ?

Ubuntu has too many controversies thanks to Canonical's cavalier attitude towards a few things, so I wouldn't touch that with a 10-m pole.

To each their own, but I recommend at least checking those problems before considering it.

You will soon have ads in your start menu, but for now I'm talking about the forced move away from Microsoft Mail, that works great, to soon requiring Outlook, which is a mess. In addition to downgraded software, the "free" version of Outlook has ads disguised as email. If you pay for Microsoft Office 365, you will not have ads (such as at your job, where Microsoft gouges organizations for the license).

Basically, they are sticking the email client behind a paywall, even though you've already paid for Windows. It's a bridge too far already, and I haven't started getting the start menu ads, yet.

The bottom line for me is that I will pay to use your software/service if I like it. But if I pay for your software or service, yet you still force ads on me, I will no longer pay for your software or service. I will pirate it for free (such as adblock), or I will find different software if a reasonable option exists.
Ah, I see. I have all my emails go to my Ipad so I don’t use MS clients for email. I agree though charging for a product and then still having ads is shitty. Nothing we can do about it though as individual consumers and given that the majority of consumers just want what they want when they want it, no one will ever be able to unite enough consumers to make a change.

...if you are forced to use some unconventional method to simply create a user account on your machine, then we can fairly say, this particular OS is truly and utterly f*cked up.
Looking into my Orb of Clairvoyance +5, the next thing will be the forced use of OneDrive. ;)

Well they already have done that but yeah not the worst of the bunch though.

As I still remember all the court cases against MS over the last 20 years.

I'll investigate in how far the successor of OS/2 is useable these days. If someone already did that, please post here, I'm curious about it.
ArcaOS looks to be the next one after eComStation. I vaguely remember having read that ArcaOS seems to be running relatively well on modern PCs ?
Apart from Linux.

I'm not sure Starfield would run excessively well on that OS. ;)
Looks like they have their own version of Wine (Win32 API layer) called Odin, so games that work on Linux with Wine might work? Although not sure they even have any accelerated video drivers. But a much bigger problem is that it's only a 32-bit OS, so the per-process max RAM usable is probably going to be either 2 or 3GB. Even ignoring the video driver issues, no modern big-budget games could run within that, even web browsers nowadays might be pushing it at times :LOL:

No plans for 64-bit either, which basically means it's a dead end OS all-around: https://www.arcanoae.com/faqwd/do-you-have-plans-for-a-64-bit-arcaos/

No plans for 64-bit either, which basically means it's a dead end OS all-around: https://www.arcanoae.com/faqwd/do-you-have-plans-for-a-64-bit-arcaos/
Yes, but on the other hand, DOS and early Windows will run there, at least according to their web site.
It's not so that office programs won't run there just because they are outdated. Or, in other words, "getting no support" doesn't mean it won't run there at all. I still have my WordPerfect 6 disks there - all on my HD already, so, if I can get an ArcaOS PC into printing from it from under its in16 layer, I'm fine. Plus, its not so that adaper cards don't exist. I even read in "my" magazine from a adapter card which is able to emulate a harddisk from an SSD in an old ISA PC. I need to dig out that article again, tough, to check whether I have misunderstood anything there.
Floppy emulators using USB sticks already exist,though. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floppy_disk_hardware_emulator
All I need then is a Win10 or Win11 for long-term gaming, and when developers won't support it anymore, I'm probably done with gaming anyway. My backlog is still quite long.

The only real problem is to get a multi-boot PC going, with all that bootloader hassle. A lot of faulty marked bootloaders won't start on the future.

Right now I'm planning to use SBEMU in my virtal PCs, however. I need to find out whether I can use it in my normal PC, too. I'm not a hardware or retro computing expert, so i need to research a LOT of things, still.

Last edited:
Yes, but on the other hand, DOS and early Windows will run there, at least according to their web site
Apart from running it out of curiosity, I don't see the point of using those old systems on a daily basis. Are there modern applications compatible with other people's documents and a browser supporting HTML5? Are there drivers for today's hardware and does it support IPv6, WiFi, and so on? Is their system really secure?

It also looks quite expensive.

Hackers usually overlook them. Ransomware won't be going away any time soon.