Fallout New Vegas was their attempt at Fallout…

I don’t follow your argument.

It's a strange point to lock onto one game they made once upon a time, when their team, the market and the audience were wildly different, and ignore what they've been doing for the last 15 years up to their last game which was released with their current team, and the current market and audience.

The argument is easy to follow for anyone who hasn't lived under a rock for over a decade.

Last edited:
Well I enjoyed Outer Worlds and both Pillars of Eternity games. 🤷‍♂️

Didn't care for their Non-RPGs like Grounded.

It's a strange point to lock onto one game they made once upon a time, when their team, the market and the audience were wildly different, and ignore what they've been doing for the last 15 years up to their last game which was released with their current team, and the current market and audience.

The argument is easy to follow for anyone who hasn't lived under a rock for over a decade.
I don’t think Fallout New Vegas was lightning in a bottle for Obsidian. Sure, not all of the same people that were there for fallout new Vegas are there anymore but important ones for story still are: Josh Sawyer in particular. Josh Sawyer’s development with a story focus has been great. My only personal exception for him would be Pillars Of Eternity 2 (and he’s learned his lesson with that one).

Obsidian has a development philosophy that allows great games to be made.

Hell: new Vegas was “rushed out” and was still better than anything Bethesda has managed to do with the franchise.

Regardless of who makes Fallout 5, we know it will be in good hands. All the studios are under the Xbox and Microsoft banner so of course, they could work together if need be. Obsidian and InXile have always had a great relationship even before their acquisitions. Xbox wants to keep pushing Xbox Game Pass and continue with the flow of content into the service. Makes you think if they have pondered the same ideas we are speculating about now. One thing we know for sure is Fallout 5 being an Xbox IP now will drop into Xbox Game Pass on day one. What do all of you think out there? Do you think these could be good choices or do you have other ideas?

I don’t think Fallout New Vegas was lightning in a bottle for Obsidian. Sure, not all of the same people that were there for fallout new Vegas are there anymore but important ones for story still are: Josh Sawyer in particular. Josh Sawyer’s development with a story focus has been great. My only personal exception for him would be Pillars Of Eternity 2 (and he’s learned his lesson with that one).

Obsidian has a development philosophy that allows great games to be made.

Hell: new Vegas was “rushed out” and was still better than anything Bethesda has managed to do with the franchise.
Don't get me wrong, I like Josh and I think he's pretty talented, but recency is paramount in the videogame industry. There are no cases I know of a studio that made a good game a couple of decades ago, then went on to make average games, and then suddenly made an amazing game again.

I don't know about lightning in a bottle, but they definitely hit a sweet spot with the timing of the release, the clever use of what back then was "new" tech, the state of the market and needs of their audience at the time, that is quite specific to the circumstances under which Fallout New Vegas was released and can't be easily replicated. Making something with "Fallout" in the name wouldn't unlock some mystic superpower they have that they have been hiding for almost two decades now.

In any case, I'd love if they were given the project and had massive success, it's just seeing the "decent but meh" feelings I get when playing Outer Worlds and watching trailers of Avowed doesn't invite me to optimism for their ability to make a great Fallout game, while I've thoroughly enjoyed their latest cRPGs (that is the Pillars of Eternity games), hence my inclination for them doing what they have proven more recently that they can do best.

That sounds naive at best. I hardly see MS forcing two companies to work together to try and rush out a game when they're already busy with other projects. And, as said earlier, they're much smaller than BGS (considering inXile here seems very desperate).

I have the impression that it's just another rumour and more clickbait feeding off it. At best, BGS will review their plan to see which game they'll give the priority and confirm it later.

I was asked about performance in crowded areas. Works fine, but I haven't objective FPS measures, so I don't know how it's compared to 14 days ago.

BTW: I previously wrote that I'm playing on all Ultra settings. That's not entirely true. I have for instance disabled god rays and motion blur as I don't like them. Additionally I user a lower setting for shadows, since I don't see (to me) significant improvement using high quality settings (actually, I don't pay attention to shadows in games).

BTW2: I noticed a feature/bug that I haven't seen before. I was happily walking at night in the pastures of Far Harbour when grass fragments (in wind) moved complelty to and fro, and not rooted to the ground.

pibbuR who pays too little attention to too few things.

Last edited:
That sounds naive at best. I hardly see MS forcing two companies to work together to try and rush out a game when they're already busy with other projects. And, as said earlier, they're much smaller than BGS (considering inXile here seems very desperate).

I have the impression that it's just another rumour and more clickbait feeding off it. At best, BGS will review their plan to see which game they'll give the priority and confirm it later.
Man I need more sleep as I just realized the article is over three years old.😴

Anyway yeah I agree, but it at least was on-topic with the latest info. 🤷‍♂️

I was asked about performance in crowded areas. Works fine, but I haven't objective FPS measures, so I don't know how it's compared to 14 days ago.

BTW: I previously wrote that I'm playing on all Ultra settings. That's not entirely true. I have for instance disabled god rays and motion blur as I don't like them. Additionally I user a lower setting for shadows, since I don't see (to me) significant improvement using high quality settings (actually, I don't pay attention to shadows in games).

BTW2: I noticed a feature/bug that I haven't seen before. I was happily walking at night in the pastures of Far Harbour when grass fragments (in wind) moved complelty to and fro, and not rooted to the ground.

pibbuR who pays too little attention to too few things.
Never noticed the grass maybe it's a feature of the next-gen patch? Also can you turn off god-rays? It was never possible unless you edited your in file, or use console codes.

Never noticed the grass maybe it's a feature of the next-gen patch? Also can you turn off god-rays? It was never possible unless you edited your in file, or use console codes.
You're right, I can't. I always turn off god rays (when I can), so I was on auto pilot when lying about this.

I've never noticed the grass feature before either, so yes, I think it's a next gen bug.

You can turn off god rays in the launch menu under Options -> Advanced.

I think the grass has always been animated, but it's very subtle. Maybe it's more pronounced in Far Harbor? I can't say because I've never been to that area.

Animated grass is ok. But in this case the entire straws are shifted (and not very subtle). Not like normal grass, pendulums fixed to the ground.

You can turn off god rays in the launch menu under Options -> Advanced.
No you can not even with that option it always goes back to low after saving.

It has been a bug for many and never fixed. Maybe the next gen patch fixed it?

Well Todd can't help himself sounds like two Fallout projects are in development.
Sounds like a Fallout 3 remaster and maybe New Vegas?

Those guys really turned the quote "What are we doing with this thing. What are we doing with this other thing." into "2 Fallout games are in development"...

No you can not even with that option it always goes back to low after saving.

It has been a bug for many and never fixed. Maybe the next gen patch fixed it?
I thought Pippur meant the menu option didn't exist. I wasn't aware it was broken because I've never had a reason to turn god rays off.

There's a mod on Nexus that disables them, but Idk if it currently works.

Animated grass is ok. But in this case the entire straws are shifted (and not very subtle). Not like normal grass, pendulums fixed to the ground.
Is it only doing it in Far Harbor or is this everywhere? You don't have any mods currently installed, right? What's your framerate?