Weird given Dead Island 2 was one of their best selling games this year.

Wonder if this will affect Piranha Bytes?

Weird given Dead Island 2 was one of their best selling games this year.

Wonder if this will affect Piranha Bytes?
It shows that Embracer ordered all business units to optimize and to reduce risk. A visible example of the latter is that the inventory for their board game company Asmodee has been reduced massively. It remains to be seen how much they ramp up for Christmas though.

PB has one thing going for them: They've collected ca. 3M€ of funding for their next game from the country. The usual amount they give is 25% of the budget. Maybe loca comes on top, and marketing certainly. Nevertheless it's a reasonably low risk project, given that PBs games sell forever.
I'm slightly worried though.

PB has one thing going for them: They've collected ca. 3M€ of funding for their next game from the country. The usual amount they give is 25% of the budget. Maybe loca comes on top, and marketing certainly. Nevertheless it's a reasonably low risk project, given that PBs games sell forever.
Is it safe to assume that their next project is Elex 3?

Is it safe to assume that their next project is Elex 3?
Not confirmed, but everybody expects it.

Things could get dangerous when they ship it. Whatever they pitch after Elex 3 will probably require a bigger budget. And Gothic is taken.

Seems their also making a deal for exclusive release only on Epic Games as well for six months to a year. So yeah bean counters are now running the company it seems.

Not confirmed, but everybody expects it.

Things could get dangerous when they ship it. Whatever they pitch after Elex 3 will probably require a bigger budget. And Gothic is taken.
They need to work on making a better endgame. I thought Elex 2 started out great but really fell apart towards the end.

They still own the Gothic IP though, don't they? Despite Gothic getting a remake, they could always choose to make another game in that world if they wanted. However, I recall someone (maybe Björn?) saying that they would not return to it.

Whatever they do, their next game needs to be better than Elex 2.

They still own the Gothic IP though, don't they? Despite Gothic getting a remake, they could always choose to make another game in that world if they wanted. However, I recall someone (maybe Björn?) saying that they would not return to it.
Unfortunately no. PB is a 100% daughter company of the Embracer Group, held through THQ Nordic. Of course the latter wanted to get the Gothic brand running again. I'm sure they've talked to PB about it. But as we all know, THQ ended up founding a new studio in Spain for it.
Yes, some time ago Björn said they aren't interested in making another Gothic at this point.

Embracer bought too much too fast. That happens all of the time with companies.

Those layoffs represent around 5 percent of Embracer's total workforce, and were made despite net sales increasing by 13 percent year-on-year to SEK 1.8 billion ($170.5 million) during Q2.

A good opinion article about how Embracer found itself in it's current mess.
Looks like business might get even worse for the publisher.

The last comment is so typical.
"it's been an agonising process to see the sort of headcount [reduction], but we know it's a necessary thing for us to hit our new and needed goals. So overall, good progress and we push on."
Yeah, good progress indeed.

It's always the same old story ...