I'm not sure where people are getting the idea that the new cards consume less power than the 30xx series. From what I've seen, it's about the same.

I'm not sure where people are getting the idea that the new cards consume less power than the 30xx series. From what I've seen, it's about the same.
They consume less power when doing the same amount of work - higher efficiency. I think that's what he was referring to. It's a big plus since it means less heat and less noise.

During NVIDIA's own green room testing, the GPU manufacturer has reportedly found that its most powerful Lovelace GPU actually melts itself, and in the process destroys PC power supplies. Concerns about the GPU's performance have potentially led NVIDIA to not release it on the market.

A source close to YouTuber Moore's Law is Dead (a popular technology, gaming, and lifestyle writer and podcast personality) reported that the NVIDIA RTX 4090 Ti is simply too powerful for now. Also, the source reported that the RTX 4090 Ti won't be headed to market anytime soon. Supposedly, the powerful GPU was tripping breakers, melting power supplies, and sometimes the actual GPU was melting as well. Despite these concerning hardware failures, NVIDIA's team green still has time to work out the problem and determine a way to create a working RTX 4090 Ti.

Picked up a 4090 yesterday. It looks absolutely ridiculous next to my motherboard. I game at 4k and the improvement was to good to pass up. I have a giant case and still had to rearrange things to get it to fit. Move water cooling and take out an add in card that had 2 nvme SSD’s on it. I have another MB with 4 nvme slots and will be switching to it. Would like to get a PSU with a 16 pin connector as I don’t care for the adapter that comes with the. Card. Considering the already outrageous price it’s problematic that most people will have to buy additional hardware or even a bigger case to use this. If I had more sense I’d skip it and wait to see what’s next, but….

"The RTX 4080 12GB is a fantastic graphics card, but it’s not named right. Having two GPUs with the 4080 designation is confusing."

What a bunch of bullshit. Having two cards (12Gb and 16Gb) with the 4080 designation is not confusing at all, if the only thing that were different between the two was the amount of vram. They're trying to sweep their bullshit attempt of selling a weaker card under the designation of the stronger card.

They're trying to sweep their bullshit attempt of selling a weaker card under the designation of the stronger card.
Yep, and it was so obvious to even the casual observer that it should have been a 4070 or whatever. Aside from the actual specs, I saw benchmarks saying that there was >20% difference in performance, and that's obviously not due to the amount of VRAM.

It's more or less what was estimated before, though the benchmarks were slightly better with some games. The point is the reduced power which is always a good thing.

The classification may be confusing to customers though, if they're expecting something substantially more powerful than the 3080. As for the design and power control, they must have had serious problems.

TBH, if were surfing on Smaug's gold hoard, I still wouldn't pay Nvidia's comedy prices. Curious to see AMD's offering.

TBH, if were surfing on Smaug's gold hoard, I still wouldn't pay Nvidia's comedy prices. Curious to see AMD's offering.
I still prefer Nvidia's products, but I agree about the pricing. I'm upgrading my card at the end of the month, and I'm not even looking at the 40xx series. The price vs performance just doesn't add up there. Instead, I'm going to (hopefully) grab a 3080 Ti at a discount on Black Friday or Cyber Monday.

Hard to believe those AMD cards cost double last year and are now back at retail price finally. Nvidia are still to expensive for me at retail price and will remain so in the future.

I've been checking on RTX 30xx and 40xx cards daily, and I don't get why many of them are still not MSRP. Nvidia's stock has been struggling, and they missed on their projected earnings, with one of the reasons given being that they have too much inventory that's not moving.

How can they have surplus inventory and simultaneously have many of their cards being priced above MSRP and/or out of stock?

I have ordered a new PC with a Gainward RTX 3060 Ghost 12 GB.

Other specs: Intel i5 13600K, 32 GB DDR5 RAM and an Asus Z690A Board.

Everything > RTX 3060 is too expensive right now IMO.

I'm leaning towards getting a 40xx series card now even though I previously said I wouldn't. I can't find a 3080 Ti that I like for less than 1K, and it doesn't make sense to pay that much for one when a 4080 is only $200 more.

I hate having to use up 3 slots for a video card though. My system is already a bit cramped, and I don't plan on buying a new case anytime soon.

I've been checking on RTX 30xx and 40xx cards daily, and I don't get why many of them are still not MSRP. Nvidia's stock has been struggling, and they missed on their projected earnings, with one of the reasons given being that they have too much inventory that's not moving.

How can they have surplus inventory and simultaneously have many of their cards being priced above MSRP and/or out of stock?
It's weird. Could it be because of a shortage of some components for a series of cards? When I looked, NVIDIA cards were sold out and other brands were above MSRP, but in Europe it's often the case.

Yes, the 40 series are huge. They're thicker but also longer and higher.

It's a difficult choice.