How does the + thing work?

Do I just subscribe somewhere using +hello and it shows me those separately somehow?

Is there a limit on these?

I've quickly tested. You don't need to setup anything, if your email address (free or paid) is, for ex, pladio@proton.me, you can give pladio+watch@proton.me to someone / some site, and you'll receive it in the same inbox, with "to = pladio+watch@proton.me". So there's no limitation, you can use as many of those as you want, and you can use filters to do whatever you wish (you get only 3 labels & folders with the free version).

You can reply and it keeps the same address with the "+".

With the paid versions, you can define several aliases, which can be anything if I understand correctly (for ex. you could define another email "guardian.nonsense@proton.me" or even with your domain name if you have one). I'd be more tempted to use that as an address for someone I don't entirely trust, because the free "+" solution above is known and shows your private email address (I'm not sure I see the point to be honest).

I saw the email tracker detection feature, it's nice. Marketing emails often include a link or even a simple image with a custom name, so when you open your email, the image is fetched and the sender knows you've read the email. Proton detects that.

The VPN is very easy to use. The free version gives access to servers in US/NL/JP (perhaps it's not the same everyday or for everyone, I don't know). The bitrate was high enough.

EDIT: I see Myrthos has answer in the mean time, but it's apparently a little different with Proton.

I'd just reiterate what was mentioned about email addresses formed with a +something to your name - that's not much use for privacy, as it's so easy to strip back to your actual email. Could be useful where dumb spam is the concern, but not for reducing tracking.

That is true, but I use it to make my accounts unique. As often the username is the same as the mail account. That makes it is easier to filter out mails.
A downside is that some web forms, don't accept these types of email addresses as the way to check for valid email addresses is too simple.

I wasn't aware that SMTP (for sending mails) supports this mechanism as well, because I would expect that something like DKIM would fail, because you are not using an actual email account or an alias, but a fictive one. However reading up on that, it might indeed work when properly configured.

Facebook Is Receiving Sensitive Medical Information from Hospital Websites

Experts say some hospitals' use of an ad tracking tool may violate a federal law protecting health information

A tracking tool installed on many hospitals' websites has been collecting patients' sensitive health information - including details about their medical conditions, prescriptions, and doctor's appointments - and sending it to Facebook.

The Markup tested the websites of Newsweek's top 100 hospitals in America. On 33 of them we found the tracker, called the Meta Pixel, sending Facebook a packet of data whenever a person clicked a button to schedule a doctor's appointment. The data is connected to an IP address - an identifier that's like a computer's mailing address and can generally be linked to a specific individual or household - creating an intimate receipt of the appointment request for Facebook.
[. . .]
On the website of University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center, for example, clicking the "Schedule Online" button on a doctor's page prompted the Meta Pixel to send Facebook the text of the button, the doctor's name, and the search term we used to find her: "pregnancy termination".

Clicking the "Schedule Online Now" button for a doctor on the website of Froedtert Hospital, in Wisconsin, prompted the Meta Pixel to send Facebook the text of the button, the doctor's name, and the condition we selected from a dropdown menu: "Alzheimer's".

This can't be a mistake that hospitals have this pixel code into their app/software. And why is Facebook in particular the intended recipient of this information?

Not surprised just another reason on why not to use Facebook.:(

I found out that the Discord server of Espiocracy required the user to validate the registration by giving their phone number. It's the first time I see something like that, pretty insane. I denied, hoping it would not become the general rule.

It's funny too in a way, for a game about espionage. ;)

Yeah, if you use Discord for a while, it'll one day pop up and say "Hmm... something strange seems to be going on," (no kidding), "We'll need to do a security check. Please enter your mobile number, and a photocopy of your bum."

A lot of sheanigans go on in the name of security.

It's not that one, it's a required step for registering on that particular server.
Ah, right - they must have made it a hard-requirement option for server owners. It's one of those things where you can see the benefit for the person in that position - but it's also still very much in the interest of the platform-holder, to help gather your data.

Whenever anything ask for my phone number that is not fiancial related (i.e, paying for a product online); i always provide a fake phone number. There is no way I would provide my real phone number to a forum or service like discord. Now what if they actually need to confirm the number via texting a code or similar; well there are better services out there and i can do without that service.

"Funny" comparison of net capture between Win XP and Win 11 when they first connect to Internet.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT4vDfA_4NI

It's very superficial but it shows there's a good deal of accesses that shouldn't be there. Unfortunately I didn't catch which laptop brand he was using, "a brand new laptop" is all we know. So I think it has perhaps as much to do with all the bloatware some brands add to the pre-installed Windows than Windows itself.

I hate how Windows 10 regularly pushes to upgrade to 11. This morning I had to say 'no' 4 times in a row to get rid of the stupid "invitation". I suppose the Pro edition is better in that regard but Lenovo doesn't ship their desktop computers with it. I suppose I'll have to start hacking it to avoid those annoyances...

It's easy to upgrade from Windows Home to Windows Pro these days, just gotta pay $100 or so in the Windows Store, then the upgrade runs. Don't have to reinstall Windows or anything like that.

Are we sure the pro version would be any better in that regard? I find it's only the enterprise version that actually gives you controls that work over this sort of thing.

Maybe the Pro isn't better, I just know it had more update options and was less invasive in that regard. In any case I won't pay that much so late just to avoid the annoyance.

Are we sure the pro version would be any better in that regard? I find it's only the enterprise version that actually gives you controls that work over this sort of thing.
I'm pretty sure Enterprise doesn't give you any more than Pro in that area, but I'm not entirely sure exactly what Pro gives you over Home?

I do know that I don't recall seeing any nagging at all to upgrade to Windows 11 on my numerous Windows 10 Pro machines, some personal standalone and some domain-joined. I think I usually see one notification inside Windows Update, which you dismiss the first time you see it, and that's it.

I'm pretty sure Enterprise doesn't give you any more than Pro in that area, but I'm not entirely sure exactly what Pro gives you over Home?
The thing with Enterprise is that is gives you way more control over updates, telemetry, and so on, through the group policy system. You can take complete control over update behaviour in way you can't on the consumer versions. I don't know much about the upgrade nags, specifically, but I suspect in enterprise you can prevent that entirely - the IT dept wants to control their own update strategy, not have users being encouraged to do OS upgrades.