What do you think about Youtube ads?

• I don't care about ads

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I don't like them, but I'll just feed the cat while they're on

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • I don't like them, and I'll give in. Let's go Premium!

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • I don't like them, but I haven't decided what to do

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • What do you mean? I don't see any ad

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Something else

Votes: 7 20.6%

• Total voters
On that note, anybody here been following that drama between SSSniperwolf and JacksFilms on Youtube?
I don't even know who they are or what their domain is. ;)

I've noticed that in science, programming, history, and games channels, for example, they seemed to occasionally support one another. It's probably more typical of creator contents that are known well enough to care and try to maintain their position, but not diva level.

I suppose that some level of creative criticism could be fine if there's something really wrong, but it's probably best not to say anything negative about their fellows. I don't see how that could be well perceived by the audience.

The slow down is really annoying, but it can be circumvented by using this extension which spoofs the browser's user agent and tricks the website int thinking you're using another browser. Just use it to switch the user agent to Chrome on YouTube and it will load much faster. Note however that it won't magically change your browser into another one, so for sites that legitimately limit their functionality for some browsers (because some features are implemented in Chrome but not in Firefox, for example), it won't magically work.

What also seems to be fixed is an Enhancer for YouTube extension which was delisted from Firefox extension store because it stopped working (or rather it worked only occasionally) on Firefox. On Chromium based browsers it seems to be working fine for the moment, even though the author has stated that there are issues with it even with Chromium. I suspect that the problems are with the slow down since now that I switched the user agent it works fine. And like I mentioned, it doesn't magically bring any missing features from Chromium to Firefox.

Besides that, I haven't had problems with ads or warning popups with Firefox + uBlock Origin combo. I haven't seen a warning since the beginning of this thread.

The slow down is really annoying, but it can be circumvented by using this extension which spoofs the browser's user agent and tricks the website int thinking you're using another browser.
I had a brief hope a similar extension could fix the problem on Brave, but apparently the user agent is already mimicking Chrome's, so there must be more to it.

By the wat, you can check your user agent here; for example, if you want to check the extension on Firefox:

What I get with Chrome:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/119.0.0.0 Safari/537.36

What I get with Brave:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/119.0.0.0 Safari/537.36

What I get with Edge:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/119.0.0.0 Safari/537.36 Edg/119.0.0.0

Yeah, they are all Chromium under the hood. Most popular browsers are, and the only major one that isn't is Firefox (and I guess Safari, but it is only available on Apple devices). That is why they will all have limited adblocking capabilities once Manifest V3 is implemented. Unless they manage to circumvent that somehow.

Firefox is also implementing the MV3 changes, apparently, but it diverges from Chrome and Safari in some parts of the interface, and ad blockers should still be able to operate on that browser. Brave and Vivaldi, on their side, have built-in ad blocking, so they shouldn't be affected.

It's really not a good situation, with Google owning the major search engine and user-made video streaming service, on top of the major Internet engine.

I suppose that the next step is to put ads in gmail, so I'll see if I can progressively switch to Protonmail.

I suppose that the next step is to put ads in gmail, so I'll see if I can progressively switch to Protonmail.
There already are ads in the android Gmail app and they look just like unread emails in the list. Admittedly, they are for now only in your promotions inbox and they do have a word "sponsored" at the beginning of the subject line, but still, it's really annoying.

The slow down is really annoying, but it can be circumvented by using this extension which spoofs the browser's user agent and tricks the website int thinking you're using another browser. Just use it to switch the user agent to Chrome on YouTube and it will load much faster. Note however that it won't magically change your browser into another one, so for sites that legitimately limit their functionality for some browsers (because some features are implemented in Chrome but not in Firefox, for example), it won't magically work.

What also seems to be fixed is an Enhancer for YouTube extension which was delisted from Firefox extension store because it stopped working (or rather it worked only occasionally) on Firefox. On Chromium based browsers it seems to be working fine for the moment, even though the author has stated that there are issues with it even with Chromium. I suspect that the problems are with the slow down since now that I switched the user agent it works fine. And like I mentioned, it doesn't magically bring any missing features from Chromium to Firefox.

Besides that, I haven't had problems with ads or warning popups with Firefox + uBlock Origin combo. I haven't seen a warning since the beginning of this thread.
Ironic. This is kind of thing that almost split up Microsoft.

Brave is chromium based. They must be really going out of their way.

Anyway, I haven't had any issues yet on FF except for the slow to start but that hasn't been a big deal for me.
---
Hmm, the EFF was not happy about MV3 two years ago

FF said it was only implementing to maintain compatibility.

There already are ads in the android Gmail app and they look just like unread emails in the list. Admittedly, they are for now only in your promotions inbox and they do have a word "sponsored" at the beginning of the subject line, but still, it's really annoying.
Ah, so it is coming.

I don't have that yet, but I suppose it's a test they're doing in a different zone, as usual. Have you had that for a long time?

I wonder when I'll see the first ads popping up in all the Android apps.

I'm not getting the warnings from YT anymore, using AdBlock, but I am getting a lot of AdBlock pop-ups asking for money, now. The good news in all of this is that I've been reconditioned to go to YouTube significantly less than I used to.

Not sure I will ever be able to completely avoid YouTube, but that 'rabbit hole' syndrome has ended, where you go from one video to another and an hour of your life is gone. But less is less, and in time, maybe none?

My tolerance for ads is near-zero now, especially since algorithms and AI have gotten free reign on target marketing. Similar thing happened with live TV after they continued to increase commercial time, which ultimately led to my complete disregard of live broadcast television. Now I see zero ads on television.

Nod, I find myself far less compelled to use Youtube anymore, and I honestly don't miss it. Though those old concerts online are damn addictive.

If you're using adblockers with Chrome, now, it's much slower for any website, not only Youtube. Maybe it's AdBlock, but it's just a sign of the race between them and Google.

Youtube is still OK with AdBlock, at least for the video playback; you briefly see the ad flashing and it's gone. Browsing and looking for videos is very sluggish, though it's still much faster than when using Brave, which is unable to stream videos correctly.

Sometimes, I wonder if the whole Youtube system is about to crash. There are more and more content creators, who are struggling to be known or to keep their audience. They are forced to use shocking and meaningless titles that are less and less related to the content, to get additional incomes from sponsors, Patreon, etc. On their side, Google is giving them the bare minimum support while enforcing their stupid ad system to milk even more out of the system.

It's just a big, absurd mess. The perfect caricature of what the Internet has become.

+1 to the forum software - the byline updated to note that it's more likely to be AdBlock's fault! It must be loading them dynamically (or telling our browsers to load them dynamically).

Holy f*ck has YouTube gotten annoying. I was at friends house tonight, and we were watching various clips as well as some music videos, and there were ads popping up even in the middle of some of the clips.

I'm not sure if the difference was using the YT app on a TV as opposed to being on a PC, but it was way worse than I've ever seen it before. One video we watched that was around 30 minutes long was stopped for ads no less than 5 or 6 times in addition to the ads at the beginning.

I was watching a concert the other night on Youtube and noticed just how slow the service seemed to be running. Something changed very recently, that's for certain. As of now it seems like it ran quicker back in '09. -p