Risen - Preview @ Destructoid

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Destructoid has a preview of Risen from a Deep Silver press event but there isn't much in it for us, because the author doesn't play the genre and Guild Wars is apparently the best comparison because they both have a quick-slot bar:
While I'm not a connoisseur of fantasy RPGs, especially Western-style ones, the feeling that most potently struck me was that this reminded me a bit of Guild Wars in terms of the look and feel of things. You've got a quickslot bar, like in most games, to equip your spells and potions, leaving your attacks to mouse/controller commands. There are a wide variety of tactics at your disposal, such as casting a "Joke" spell to disable a guard in a fit of laughter, or make people forget you're wanted for murder because, hey, you seem like a nice guy.
More information.

"especially Western-style ones"

Let's get him.

Sometimes I just don't know why they stick people with no clue on these things ... or why they allow so many caveats into the published piece ...

Sometimes I just don't know why they stick people with no clue on these things ... or why they allow so many caveats into the published piece ...

Same here. Review written by someone who doesn't play the genre is totally useless.

I did a double-take when I saw the 2nd screen from the top, it looks almost exactly like the monastery from Gothic 2.

I did a double-take when I saw the 2nd screen from the top, it looks almost exactly like the monastery from Gothic 2.

I wonder if we'll have some déjà vu when playing Risen :)

Wow ... hadn't noticed that at first, but it is true, right down to the arched corridor.

In my mind, I was holding this up against my memories of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, and Rising comes across as...
Talk about apathy in games-journalism. This poor sot can't be bothered to use the proper name, much less find a more apt comparison than Guild Wars...which is explained in the next paragraph:
Since I'm not very big into the Western RPG landscape...
Sad.

Destructoid; said:
They've got a solid story, a good engine around it, and something that should be a fun and enjoyable experience -- but if they're looking to draw in a new audience for the title, such as people who traditionally play J-RPGs or even non-RPG players, those elements aren't there.

Phew... :)

Having this jabroni review the game is like having Hoss Cartwright review the Bolshoi Ballet. Putz.

Nooooooooooooooooooo!!!

No random encounters every 30 seconds, no crappy combat system that can't decide if its realtime or turnbased, no fighting with mobs that looks like they've escaped from a donald duck movie for 5-year olds, no ultra-linear gameplay, no emo kids with blue hair that loves to talk about their suicidal feelings, no fooling around with 12-14 year old girls with enormous breats!!

I mean its basically ALL the ingredients a grown up RPG player wants in a game! :(

Yeah, I'd better get my pre-order in at GAME. I like what I'm hearing!!

I'm definitely a first week (day) buyer of this game regardless, but it would be a nice bonus if it's almost totally bug free. :)

That would not only be great ... sadly it would also be unexpected ... I am at the point where anything better than 2 patches is practically pristine ...

I'm confident Risen is going to be fairly well prepared when it's released, PB doesn't want a repeat of Gothic 3.

Since I'm a BIG Troika fan I can withstand bugs :) Though polished game is less frustration.

Back
Top Bottom