I Won Frayed Knights!

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
I already posted this over at Jay Barnson's site, but thought you guys might want to know about the game as well:

I just won Frayed Knights and it was fantastic even though it's just a beta. There were some balance issues towards the middle/ending of the game, but the writing kept the game interesting when the combat stopped being challenging.

Now a word on combat. It was absolutely pure bliss in the beginning stages. There are many different feats, skills, spells and items to choose from when in combat that if your party was wiped out using one tactic then go back and try another. I did that more than a few times on particularly hard battles. These difficult battles were not impossible. They were just difficult so you can't just push "attack" "attack" "attack" to win them. You have to try out different tactics for different kinds of enemies.

The writing is top notch. Jay really brought the characters alive and I had more than a few actual "laugh out loud" moments in the game. There is one in particular I would absolutely love to share, but it would spoil it for the rest of you. All I got to say is that Jay has a wonderful imagination. I would say the writing is on the same level as Quest for Glory (if not a little better) and QFG had a whole team of writers working on that game (I believe)

For Jay's next beta he has tweaked the balance for the enemies in the later stages of the game. I can't wait to see what kind of challenges he's got in store for me next time.

The character customization is great as well. Even though you don't "roll your own" party you can still customize them any way you want. If you want Arianna to be the main wizard and Chloe to be the fighter then you have that option. Chloe might get a little mad at you if you did that though. She loves her fire based spells.

All in all I can't recommend this game highly enough when it's released. It was a ton of fun playing it and getting to know Arianna, Dirk, Chloe and Benjamin.

Last edited:
Sounds great! Backlog or no, I'm getting this! ;)

Never been the envied before :D

Yes, this game is definitely worthwhile. Still needs a lot of tweaking, but overall I had a blast. I love the main characters in the game. Especially Chloe and Dirk.

I forgot to mention that there wasn't one crash during this playthrough. The game is amazingly stable. There's a bunch of little bugs to be ironed out, but not one crash.

Yeah, well, pity the poor sods from the alpha. They (and by they I'm mainly referring to one dude - DGM - who went above and beyond the call) - had to suffer through a whole lotta crap. Crashes, corrupted game states, unwinnable states, broken quests, etc.

We've still got a lot to do, but I think we're seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

I enjoyed it a lot actually and one of the few games I have on my completed list. Though the game is by no means short. I started playing on June 15th and didn't finish up till today. I played it everyday except for one or two in which I was too tired from work. During the week I'd sometimes just play to complete one dungeon other times a little longer than that. During the weekend I played much longer than a dungeon.

Jay's got a new beta coming pretty soon in which he's going to balance some of the issues I had with the combat. I think it might be payback time for the goblins. They're going to be coming after me with a vengeance :p

@Jay Tell DGM thank you very much from me because I never had to worry about losing my drama stars to a crash.

It's one of the two indie titles that I have been waiting eagerly (other one is AoD). According to what I saw in the pilot episode it'll bring back the good memories of Wizardy and Might&Magic series with a humor cream on the top of the cake. Now add this your thoughts about the beta, my anticipation level hits the ceiling. Thanks for sharing your experience with us Skavenhorde.

Thanks for the info, Skavenhorde, you lucky b*stard. ;) Very good news, indeed! Really looking forward to playing Frayed Knights.
Though the game is by no means short. I started playing on June 15th and didn't finish up till today. I played it everyday except for one or two in which I was too tired from work.
The original game, before Jay split it into three parts, must have been huge! The division was a good move from Jay and I'd guess even better move for his sanity. And the good thing for the rest of us is, that FK part 1 is but a third of the game (dare I say) series Jay has lined up for us. Good CRPG times ahead!

Sounds great! Now let us hope it sells well too!

Congratulations on getting this far Jay few indies do!

Thanks for the heads up about this game. It just made my "watched games" list.

I'm really looking forward to this. It sounds like it'll scratch the classic RPG itch pretty well.

Sounds just great - one more reason to keep this game in my mind ! :)

Working on getting Beta 3 out tomorrow night or so. I haven't gotten a lot of feedback on the difficulty on the later part of the game since the last beta, so there's not a lot of fine-tuning on difficulty yet. However, an awful lot of the bugs now are related more for polish issues than "Oh crap the game is broken!" problems now. That's a good sign. We still a nice back-log of issues, but as I said a while ago - we were in good shape going into beta. That seems to be holding true.

My Terraria obsession is almost over with so I can get back to Frayed Knights now. I'll send more progress reports now that I am not so obsessed with making a stupid wooden house or a tower in Terraria. Dang game took me by surprise by how much fun it was.

Beta 3 was delayed because I got a lot of incredible ideas from testers. And the fact that everybody but Skavenhorde thought it was crazy-hard. Gonna try and split the difference a little bit with this next version.

I've passed the second beta. At first I was a little bored with the game because I hardly ever replay a game I just passed, but when I hit a certain dungeon my enthusiasm for the game quadrupled. Not just my enthusiasm for it, but the time it took to pass that level quadrupled :) I had to use spells I never even looked at twice last time. It was pure bliss getting my butt handed to me on a silver platter and then coming back at them with a whole new strategy to kick their behinds.

I know it might be a little too hard in some areas, but the difficulty in the game is what kept me going this time around. Not every strategy worked for every occasion. I had to check out what the monsters were resistant to and what they were weak against.

My one piece of advice to anyone who plays this game(when it comes out) would be to not overlook the advantages that a buff spell gives (like a +2 str) or the advantages that a debuff gives you over your enemies. If you have an incredibly hard opponent then blind him. It will turn those +20 hits against you to misses.

And Beta 3 is out to testers. Skavenhorde should be pleased to know that I didn't do much to nerf the difficulty overall - just in the more annoying spots. And there are new rogue abilities for Dirk.

Oh, and those really cool explosives the party can have made for them? The hobgoblins have them now, too. And know how to use 'em.

Another player has been victorious in Frayed Knights beta this evening. So Skavenhorde is not alone...

Yeah, stay tuned I plan to write an extensive review in the next couple of weeks!! :)

Back
Top Bottom