Next Xbox system might not play used games.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
It's being rumored that the next Xbox system, currently being referred to as the "Xbox 720", might actually incorporate a technology that limits the play of used games.

Microsoft will upgrade its disc technology for its next Xbox from DVDs to Blu-Ray discs, catching up to rival Sony, games industry sources tell Kotaku.

Sony's PlayStation 3 currently supports Blu-Ray, which can contain 25 or 50GB of data compared to DVD's 9GB.

But that disc detail could be far less impactful to the next generation of game consoles than the assertion I've heard from one reliable industry source that Microsoft intends to incorporate some sort of anti-used game system as part of their so-called Xbox 720.

http://kotaku.com/5879202/sources-t...t-play-used-games-and-will-introduce-kinect-2

I'm curious to see the reactions to this..

Already knew this from last week. Good luck trying to sell the system when people find out they cant. Maybe Sony can retake there throne as fortunes change all the time.

Unless sony adopts the same stance. Aren't they already affiliated in some capacity with steam.

I'm in favor of companies trying to boost new game sales but getting rid of used sales all together I don't support.

As a pc only gamer though I already live in the world of no used games.

That means that video games will have a set final using day, like milk?
It's hilarius!

Not exactly a great surprise.

I'm sure there will be people arguing that it's about "surviving" and not yet another opportunistic way to milk more money out of nothing.

Not exactly a great surprise.

I'm sure there will be people arguing that it's about "surviving" and not yet another opportunistic way to milk more money out of nothing.

Ah you said it. I thought I was the only one. I said it before contradictions and double standards gotta love them. I'm sure some will support and rationalize it for the industry to survive.

Used games are the deviil didn't you know.:devil:

This sounds positively stupid.

In some weird way it kind of reminds me of this, as money-grabbing consumer-controlling efforts go…

207uq11.jpg

P.S. For the young ones, this was an image on inner sleeves of some LPs (you know, those black round things that technomagically played music without a computer) back in the 80s trying to limit/prohibit the taping of LPs to cassettes.

Imagine MS announces this crap ... and then Sony is clever, for once. They ignore the topic, and when MS has entered the market they announce the opposite. "Wanna play used games? Buy Sony!" ;)

Do people actually use/sell used games?? I've been buying games since the 80's for my computers, got em stacked in a closet but I'd never even think of selling them. Or, for that matter, buying some old piece of crap that might have been in some smoker's house or something. It just....disturbs me.

-Carn

Steam pretty much killed the used game market anyway and NOT by not allowing games to be sold. You used to be able to sell old games for a good amount but the people who would buy those often just get a "new" copy via steam during some sale. The prices for many used games is so low it's not worth the bother of selling them.

Steam pretty much killed the used game market anyway and NOT by not allowing games to be sold. You used to be able to sell old games for a good amount but the people who would buy those often just get a "new" copy via steam during some sale. The prices for many used games is so low it's not worth the bother of selling them.

That's just PC's though, right? Steam isn't on XBox or PS3 is it?

I know several people that use goosex almost exclusively for their console games. You are often locked out of the DLC, but most of them complete the games before much DLC is available anyway.

Do people actually use/sell used games??

Steam pretty much killed the used game market

I think it heavily depends on where you live.

Used PC games are not found on flea markets here anymore (exceptions of the rule support the rule ;) ), but rather on Ebay - and used console games of any sorts - yes, even for the Dreamcast ! - are still sold here in small to tiny independent shops and on flea markets. Motly in bigger towns, though.

Edit : And Gamestop, of course. Whom they are trying to ttack. But they don't sell used PC games for ages now (they did - long, long ago …)

Imagine MS announces this crap … and then Sony is clever, for once. They ignore the topic, and when MS has entered the market they announce the opposite. "Wanna play used games? Buy Sony!" ;)
And Microsoft will be overjoyed to see them go. Remember, these consoles are sold at a loss. Microsoft/Sony take $10 for each game sold to make up for that. If you buy an XBox then buy mostly used games, Microsoft is going to lose money from that sale!

Publishers would be very happy to see this, too. While used sales are considerably more legal than piracy, they still result in a lot of people getting games without paying the developer or publisher any money. If this is true (and it actually works), then I would expect to see a lot more XBox exclusives.

The only way it wouldn't work out for XBox is if a lot of the "sometimes used" folks switched over. If the people that occasionally buy a used game but mostly buy new games decide that it's worth making the switch then XBox is going to lose. If it's just the folks that mostly buy used games, though, Sony is going to be in big trouble.

What worries me more are the rumors about what's going to be in the box - namely a really pathetic video card.

What worries me more are the rumors about what's going to be in the box - namely a really pathetic video card.

I don't see that happening. I've read in several articles that the "Xbox 720" is supposedly going to be 6X more powerful than the Xbox 360.

I am already upset with XBox…The other grandparents got a new Live system for the grandson but didn't read the fine print about the lack of memory available for "certain games". It seems if you play games like Call of Duty you will need to buy the extra hd for the system. That crap is on the instructions inside the box and maybe in the fine print on the outside that needs the hubble telescope to read, but to me it was a bait and switch operation. If you try to use it without the hd added it actually locks up and stops working completely…..granted I had nothing to do with the install and didn't read any of the info in the box, but something that major should be in big letters.
Ok done ranting about that one…….sorry.:)

More commentary on used game sales: http://altdevblogaday.com/2012/02/02/i-feel-used/

The 6670 is a pretty low end card. If the system were coming out this summer then it wouldn't be too bad of a choice. But, if we're talking next summer, that's a year behind. I would expect something that would cost closer to $200 retail right now. Ah well, at least it has tesselation.

The idea of a new Xbox that refuses to play used games may sound like a problematic, consumer-unfriendly, potentially suicidal idea to reasonable people who are capable of long-term thought, but some people are right behind it. Volition design director Jameson Durall, for example, thinks it's fantastic.

"Personally I think this would be a fantastic change for our business and even though the consumers would be up in arms about it at first ... they will grow to understand why and that it won’t kill them," he wrote in a blog. "It does have it's faults that would have to ironed out, like game rental. I'm a fan of rental companies because they have to buy copies of the game to be able to rent them out and if someone likes the game, there is a chance they would purchase it for themselves.

"Another issue would be with simply lending the game to a friend, but maybe they could implement something similar to what Amazon is doing with their Kindle Books lending policy. The license of the game could be transferred for a set time to another Gamertag and the original owner won't be able to play during that time. Seems like it could work.

"In the end, I fully believe that we have to do something about these issues or our industry is going to fall apart. People often don't understand the cost that goes into creating these huge experiences that we put on the shelves for only $60. They also don't seem to realize how much they are hurting us when they buy a used game and how pirating a copy is just plain stealing."

I love how his "solutions" to the MANY faults with this idea are ones that make previously simple acts far more complicated and inconvenient to consumers. Want to borrow a game? Transfer a license to your system! Want to rent one? Sign up for Microsoft's exclusive rental service! You'll get used to this new waste of your damn time, kids!

Of course, that's the answer to everything, isn't it? When you want more consumers to buy your products, make enjoying those products as inconvenient as possible, because that's got such a proven fucking track record of success, doesn't it?

Shit on your consumers, make them jump through hoops, and answer the criticism by saying, "Ah, you'll get used to it, it's not going to kill you." That seems to the game industry's M.O. right now, it's an absolutely terrible slope to start slipping down.

If this industry dies, it won't be due to piracy, nor will it be to used games. Just ask the businesses that started to fail, pissed off their customers trying to fix themselves, and then died overnight. Oh wait, you can't, because they're dead. THAT's what will kill this industry, if it falls. Not GameStop, and certainly not you or I.

It's when I hear these "solutions" to combating used games by making life tougher for every consumer, that I start to worry about this industry's doom.

I agree with this piece but remember used games are the devil and your going to hell if you buy them. I'm waiting for the reply that that have to do something because I want them to make more games excuse.

I agree with this piece but remember used games are the devil and your going to hell if you buy them.

What does the Christian Church say to this ?

And - are other religions immune to this ?

Back
Top Bottom