Risen 2 - PC Version Released

This is sounding pretty good, but I've decided to wait a little while at least, to see if it patches up nicely. From what most say, it seems a diamond in the rough. I started up MM8 and will look at this again once I complete/grow bored with that.

I'm having more fun than the reviews would have suggested. Also, my concerns about picking a side effectively choosing whether or not I could use guns any more did not turn out to be warranted. Granted you swear are asked to swear never to use firearms again (thought this meant my pistol too), but you are NOT held to that. If you invested in firearms and bought an expensive shotgun, you can still keep using it. You just won't be able to readily purchase skill upgrades for firearms, but it looks like you may be able to later.

So if you're a gun user who doesn't like slavery this actually works out as a "tough choice" rather than an unfair one. Basically you are sacrificing convenience for the sake of morality - thought he dialogue shouldn't have been worded as it was because it does make it sound like you aren't going to be able to use guns any more which is not the case. If this seems spoilery, let me know and I'll put tags around it. I don't think I'm revealing anything much besides something about choice and gameplay mechanics.

Will someone please, those who play this game, explain to me why some reviews gave such low scores to this game? Did they play this game at all?
I never expected to have so much fun with a game that got massacred by some reviewers.
a) Mainstream reviewers are used to mainstream games. This means handholding and a lot of polish in the first few hours. "Different" often automatically means "bad".
b) Freelance reviewers (and often staff writers too) only have a limited time or only get paid for a limited to play non-AAA games. And of course they don't play longer. Which is quite understandable: How many days should a professional writer, who has to make a living from it, play a game and spend on writing the article if he gets, say, $250 flat for it?
Unless the article clearly hints otherwise you can safely assume the reviewer didn't play more than half the game. No time to finish a game means more randomness in article and score.
c) "Lighthouse" reviews. If the 3 biggest sites say a game is in the 65-75% range a freelancer will not get into trouble for staying in that range too. Remember he wants to get hired again next week.
I think DArtagnan stated it best when talking about the rather clunky and uninviting opening act. I don't think any reasonable person would deny that Risen 2 makes a crappy first impression - even compared to the original Risen! [...]
There are MANY *valid* reasons why the game would make a crappy first impression … while some games have a 'learning curve', Risen 2 has a 'liking curve' - if you like it from the start you might just be an apologist, but if you fail to like it after a few hours you have lost your ability to appreciate what a great game can offer.

And that is my problem with the reviews - they read like the people played for a few hours, got annoyed and ripped the game a new one. Reviewers are supposed to persevere past the initial quirks and play to the end.

But everybody knows about the problem. Many reviewers, outside the German market in case of bigger German games, only play the opening act.
So why not do what the big guys do: Polish the hell out of the first 5 hours, even on cost of the middle acts. This would lead to a higher score on average, simply because a number of reviewers wouldn't make it to the average stuff.

Hi guys. This game is really nice and i want to know, what do i need to modify in ini to increase lod/draw distance? Thanks.

But everybody knows about the problem. Many reviewers, outside the German market in case of bigger German games, only play the opening act.
So why not do what the big guys do: Polish the hell out of the first 5 hours, even on cost of the middle acts. This would lead to a higher score on average, simply because a number of reviewers wouldn't make it to the average stuff.

I'd prefer slightly more polish. I don't think it was an either/or proposition in this case (either have a good first 5 hours or a good rest of the game). Having a very weak opening is more than just a marketing and review problem; the first act of a game, play, movie etc. has importance beyond the superficial. It sets the tone of a piece and can enhance or detract from how voraciously and enthusiastically one delves into the rest of the content. While I would urge people to play through these opening segments and assure them that it does get better, I would prefer not to have to.

I do fault professional paid game reviewers who did not (if they did not) play past the weak opening. I would also fault them for allowing the weak start to color their analysis of the later game. I can not fault them for it detracting from their own ability to enjoy the later game though - only for the failure of some to recognize that many of these flaws were concentrated during the first act and that the effect they had on the enjoyment of the latter part were indirect. I can't let PB off the hook though for creating such a weak opening either.

So what does this mean? It means that for players with time and who can forgive a very weak opening (and the clunky combat and technical strangeness) that they will find many aspects of the later chapters very enjoyable and rewarding. In some ways, the middle-late parts of the game represent some of the best of what PB has done. That the introduction to this content is pretty bad is a shame and shows a great deal of uneveness in their focus and perhaps some failure to prioritize properly. If you enjoy PB games and can get past the beginning, you will probably enjoy this.

On the other-hand if you don't want to play through several hours of a "meh" game to get to the good parts then you probably don't want to play this game. If the combat in previous PB games annoyed you, this combat will probably annoy you more. So if you have not enjoyed previous PB games you will likely not enjoy this one either as the differences it has with their previous titles are not the kind likely to convert non-fans very easily (unless you have a pirate obsession maybe.)

On a 1-5 scale with 1 being awful, 2 being mostly bad with some redeaming qualities, 3 being definitely "good" but with serious flaws, 4 being excellent but with significant enough flaws to hold it back from true greatness, 5 being a great game and easily a future classic, and 6 being perfect and thus being a score not ever to be given…

I'd say it starts out at a 2.5, climbs to a 3 an hour or so in and by 20 hours in is somewhere between a 3 and a 3.5. On a 100 point IGN scale I think most of us might call this an 80-87 final score (since x/5 and x/100 scales don't really correlate very directly if you look at score averages for the same games.) For a PB fan it might even get as high as a 3.9/5 (roughly an 89-90 on the non-linear x/5 to x/100 conversion) but for someone who doesn't really like PB games you'll probably feel it never really even makes it to a 3.

I agree with your sentiments about polish, the tutorial island moves too quickly and feels kinda haphazard story wise, but it sets the tone well enough. You're right about first impressions being important as well, so it is a shame that the game takes off shortly after arriving on the first major island.

Perhaps it's simply a case of those who have suffered before being inoculated from the jarring difficulty that feels cheap due to animation lock and lack of "traditional" polish (motion capture animation etcetera). It really comes down to pacing and I think they did it well, sadly, that includes the part where you weren't supposed to be a badass right away.

Hi guys. This game is really nice and i want to know, what do i need to modify in ini to increase lod/draw distance? Thanks.

Some details have been posted in our Risen 2 forum.

The beginning is weak. It gets better after a few hours, when you're in the pirate village. Then the typical Gothic atmosphere kicks in.

Well said about the typical Gothic atmosphere! The music and setting reminded me of gothic1&2. I just miss smoking some swampweed now and then. ;)

Funny, Risen 1 had a great Act 1 and then slid into mediocrity which is what people seem to be suggesting Risen 2 should have done. I remember the original being slammed for doing that. Guess you just can't win!!

Funny, Risen 1 had a great Act 1 and then slid into mediocrity which is what people seem to be suggesting Risen 2 should have done. I remember the original being slammed for doing that. Guess you just can't win!!

No I don't think people are suggesting that they should have made the mid-game mediocre, but I have noticed people suggesting it's somehow an either or proposition. It's not, particularly when it's a question of design choices rather than resource allocation; both situations you describe are also the same fundamental type of problem.

Hmmm, I have only played about 20 minutes...but I have met Patty. I have to say first impressions at least in the graphics department is that the technology is years behind other current games. There are not a lot of polygons used in the game and you can tell. It does not feel like a modern game in terms of it's graphics.

The gameplay seems fine so far, granted I haven't played long. The opening sequence was a bit cheesey though and when the ship sunk that looked really bad.

Runs really nice on my machine with everything full though. I got a distinct pirates feel from it. Sad they didn't start a new series with this theme and didn't stick with the original setting ideas from the first.

I have to say first impressions at least in the graphics department is that the technology is years behind other current games. There are not a lot of polygons used in the game and you can tell. It does not feel like a modern game in terms of it's graphics.

Are you serious? :thinking:

I think that's a reasonable impression - from the first 20 minutes.

The jungle environments kick off later and look much better Rune_74. It's actually a very good looking game, with not-so-good animation and some weird pop-up issues.

Yeah, it's not game breaking but noticeable. Also, I found that the human animations looked like marrionettes(sp), almost laughable how much they move their arms in conversations, I was looking for the strings at one point(joking). I think part of the problem is that only parts of their bodies move, like for instance they are waving their arms about when talking but the hand is like a lifeless flipper. This is a bit jarring. I don't recall the gothic games or risen being like this.

The animations are better than on Risen and the Gothics. Doesn't mean they're good though.

I'm 13 hours in. Playing very slowly. It's a good game now.

The engine is better than any other PB game. This is the first time I play a PB game without frame-rate problems. Risen 2 runs very smoothly, much better than previous Risen/Gothic games (especially Risen1 and Gothic 2). Perhaps PC gamers have benefited from optimizing the game for the consoles, after all.

The engine is better than any other PB game. This is the first time I play a PB game without frame-rate problems. Risen 2 runs very smoothly, much better than previous Risen/Gothic games (especially Risen1 and Gothic 2). Perhaps PC gamers have benefited from optimizing the game for the consoles, after all.

So you would say that it is better optimized and less demanding than Risen 1?

Or you simply have a more powerful PC this time?

On consoles. The PC retail market below AAA is dead outside of central and Eastern Europe.

Back
Top Bottom