Fallout 4 - Official Announcement

these are early bird prices....69.99 on steam I think...

I bet you see it lower. Now, this could be a world the size of skyrim for all we know.

these are early bird prices….69.99 on steam I think…

I bet you see it lower. Now, this could be a world the size of skyrim for all we know.

Weird, $59.99 on steam for me. I forgot regional pricing was still so screwy.

Weird, $59.99 on steam for me. I forgot regional pricing was still so screwy.

I'm in canada, we have to pay the duty on stuff on the digital download;)

Picked it up on GMG for $46 with the coupon code (thanks for posting about that).

Have to own this because I lived in Boston for 8 years and commuted through and worked near downtown. Looking forward to seeing Fenway (presumably). Both the Green line and Green Monster should be present since they were both there before the alternate timeline forked.

I'm in canada, we have to pay the duty on stuff on the digital download;)

I don't think that is quite true, it seems to be company specific. Ie. 2K will have a game priced at 49.99 and it will be the same in Can $ in this case Bethesda is giving us the shaft and asking more, you can always tell because it is a nice round number as opposed to like $66.68 which is how most of Steam's prices are now for us.
Of course you can always get a steam key from another site and pay in US$ if the gouging is too steep, though the way our dollar has been sucking slough water the last 9 months or so, we are getting a break on steam of about 10% any way.

Well I'm glad they're using the old engine. It means that Bethesda will be able to expand upon the actual rpg elements that were missed previously. i.e Skyrims cities being 6 buildings and a handful of people.

Hopefully they will have good choice and consequence ~ wait and see I guess.

The reason I'm underwhelmed isn't that the trailer was bad, ugly or anything like that. As I said, it was fine and serviceable.

But I can't be the only one who can remember the original Morrowind trailer with the walking through the city gates as that wonderful theme was heard for the first time - or the Oblivion teaser with running down that beautiful grassy hill with the wind blowing. Those were AMAZING trailers - at least in my opinion.

Bethesda have always been big on hype and marketing, and I hardly need to mention the gigantic Skyrim ad or live TV trailer that caused such a stir.

Since they've only grown more and more successful, I really was expecting something on the next level, you know?

This trailer looks like an elaborate mod or expansion more than a Bethesda sequel.

So, I'm just a bit surprised is all.

I bet you hate puppies, too.

No, I just wonder why people would get excited over this. Perhaps people have become too easy to excite these days.

Dogmeat, as I remember, was one of the most stupid companions in history of computer games.
First, because it was very unoriginal, they used the same dog from the first game with absolutely no rational reason (don't get me started on an action FPS sequel to a cavalier oblique turn-based game that tries to be nostalgic by adding a dog and an ending dialog that says "you have to go").

Second, because of the conversations with a dog? What the hell? How in the nine hells can you have a conversation with a dog and tell him to go and stay at the vault doors? THAT IS A DOG! I think people should start to learn what a dog is.

Third, frustration. Dog meat suffered from severe AI problems. Dogmeat was a troublemaker that ran towards enemies, preventing any kinds of tactics because of its stupid AI, and got itself killed now and again. A dog that understands your conversations, but does understand simple commands is a hilarious dog indeed.

I think Bethsoft's hype machine is strong here, and no matter how hard I try, some people will get excited. If there was no Dogmeat in the trailer, I'm sure people would get excited over a bridge, or a ruined building, on an armor set, or even a pebble.

No, I just wonder why people would get excited over this. Perhaps people have become too easy to excite these days.

Dogmeat, as I remember, was one of the most stupid companions in history of computer games.
First, because it was very unoriginal, they used the same dog from the first game with absolutely no rational reason (don't get me started on an action FPS sequel to a cavalier oblique turn-based game that tries to be nostalgic by adding a dog and an ending dialog that says "you have to go").

Second, because of the conversations with a dog? What the hell? How in the nine hells can you have a conversation with a dog and tell him to go and stay in the vault doors? THAT IS A DOG! I think people should start to learn what a dog is.

Third, frustration. Dog meat suffered from severe AI problems. Dogmeat was a troublemaker that ran towards enemies, prevent any kinds of tactics because of its stupid AI, and got itself killed now and again. A dog that understands your conversations, but does understand simple commands is a hilarious dog indeed.

I think Bethsoft's hype machine is strong here, and no matter how hard I try, some people will get excited. If there was no Dogmeat in the trailer, I'm sure people would get excited over a bridge, or a ruined building, on ar armor set, or even a pebble.

You're trying to do what, exactly?

At least you don't sound really invested in hating a game because of a dog with AI problems :)

Get over it?

I will echo the "meh" sentiments. I have lost all interest in any Bethesda game, so I couldn't really care less. I'll probably end up picking this up a few years after release, in a GOTY edition, at 75% off (unless it ends up a complete turd), and then it'll end up in my backlog for eternity (just like FO3 and Skyrim).

Anyway, let's all brace for the inevitable "paid mods" announcement. :)

The reason I'm underwhelmed isn't that the trailer was bad, ugly or anything like that. As I said, it was fine and serviceable.

But I can't be the only one who can remember the original Morrowind trailer with the walking through the city gates as that wonderful theme was heard for the first time - or the Oblivion teaser with running down that beautiful grassy hill with the wind blowing. Those were AMAZING trailers - at least in my opinion.

Bethesda have always been big on hype and marketing, and I hardly need to mention the gigantic Skyrim ad or live TV trailer that caused such a stir.

Since they've only grown more and more successful, I really was expecting something on the next level, you know?

This trailer looks like an elaborate mod or expansion more than a Bethesda sequel.

So, I'm just a bit surprised is all.

Given the recent controversy around the Witcher 3 downgrade, I wonder if Bethesda didn't do the right thing this time... Not saying that they did because of the Witcher thing, unless they had a choice of trailers and went for the one less hyped.

Given the recent controversy around the Witcher 3 downgrade, I wonder if Bethesda didn't do the right thing this time… Not saying that they did because of the Witcher thing, unless they had a choice of trailers and went for the one less hyped.

I don't believe for a second that has anything to do with it. People might not get it, but PR material will ALWAYS be exaggerated when it's years before release. Developers are still in the dreaming stage at that point - and suits have no incentive to be honest about potential weaknesses.

It's just a matter of degree, really.

But even if this is an "honest" trailer - it's still underwhelming.

I know some people around here might disagree, but I think a Witcher 3 trailer made up of how it looks today would still have blown people away in 2013.

The game is amazingly beautiful, really.

Second, because of the conversations with a dog? What the hell? How in the nine hells can you have a conversation with a dog and tell him to go and stay at the vault doors? THAT IS A DOG! I think people should start to learn what a dog is.

Third, frustration. Dog meat suffered from severe AI problems. Dogmeat was a troublemaker that ran towards enemies, preventing any kinds of tactics because of its stupid AI, and got itself killed now and again. A dog that understands your conversations, but does understand simple commands is a hilarious dog indeed.

I think Bethsoft's hype machine is strong here, and no matter how hard I try, some people will get excited. If there was no Dogmeat in the trailer, I'm sure people would get excited over a bridge, or a ruined building, on an armor set, or even a pebble.

Yeah, people nowadays excite about the most stupid things. Things like Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, Dead State, Jagged Alliance Flashback and a load of other nostalgia-driven crap. Just forget about the dog.

I don't believe for a second that has anything to do with it. People might not get it, but PR material will ALWAYS be exaggerated when it's years before release. Developers are still in the dreaming stage at that point - and suits have no incentive to be honest about potential weaknesses.

It's just a matter of degree, really.

But even if this is an "honest" trailer - it's still underwhelming.

I know some people around here might disagree, but I think a Witcher 3 trailer made up of how it looks today would still have blown people away in 2013.

The game is amazingly beautiful, really.

I don't think that there is a real connection between both, just saying that this time maybe moving on the cautious side was a good thing - later they won't have to say, yeah it looks worse now. And I agree that the Witcher 3 is beautiful (well, the colours are too, well, colourful, but I think that's an eastern european thing).
Anyway, I liked the trailer. I admit that it lacked some bang, but it's Fallout, fans have been waiting so long, that they might just have put the Fallout logo with a 4 and it would be great.

I don't think that there is a real connection between both, just saying that this time maybe moving on the cautious side was a good thing - later they won't have to say, yeah it looks worse now. And I agree that the Witcher 3 is beautiful (well, the colours are too, well, colourful, but I think that's an eastern european thing).
Anyway, I liked the trailer. I admit that it lacked some bang, but it's Fallout, fans have been waiting so long, that they might just have put the Fallout logo with a 4 and it would be great.

I'm happy there's going to be a Fallout 4, but I already knew that.

But, to me, Bethesda have always been pushing the boundaries when it comes to atmosphere and technology, so this is kinda puzzling.

Call me a graphics whore if you must, but I really do think that's a huge part of immersion.

That said, the key is if they've improved the writing and the mechanics - as they were always the weakest parts of their games.

Game looks decent enough, and I have no doubt I'll enjoy the exploration - which is my favorite part of FO/TES. But I'll have to adjust my expectations and it looks like immersion isn't going to be quite as powerful as I'd hoped for.

I'm happy there's going to be a Fallout 4, but I already knew that.

But, to me, Bethesda have always been pushing the boundaries when it comes to atmosphere and technology, so this is kinda puzzling.

Call me a graphics whore if you must, but I really do think that's a huge part of immersion.

That said, the key is if they've improved the writing and the mechanics - as they were always the weakest parts of their games.

Game looks decent enough, and I have no doubt I'll enjoy the exploration - which is my favorite part of FO/TES. But I'll have to adjust my expectations and it looks like immersion isn't going to be quite as powerful as I'd hoped for.

I think I understand your concern about that. It's just that I don't usually give much thought to trailers (sometimes I only catch a glimpse of new trailers), so maybe that's why it didn't sound so strange to me. I confess I have no recolection of Morrowind's, Oblivion's or the previous two Fallout entries trailers. I remember the live action Skyrim trailer, of course, but that's much more recente and, well, it had real people in it. But if you say that this is a unusual trailer for Bethesda, well, I'll believe you. Let's just hope that the game itself doesn't look that unusual- unless this particular unusual means unusually fantastic ;)

It's probably mostly because they've chosen to stick with that archaic engine. I thought they were stretching it thin by using it with Skyrim, and I really expected them to move on to something newer given the current-gen consoles.

The thing that's particularly strange is that the characters and animations look worse than Skyrim - though I could be imagining things.

However, if they've focused on content and mechanics for 4 years, this could all end up being much better for the final game - and I'll soon adapt to the superficial weaknesses.

Hopefully it's just an error on their part. I know Brazil gets some pretty awful regional pricing sometimes, but I thought that was mostly just hardware.

Because pieces of hardware are, in fact, imported to Brazil and the exchange rate between US Dollar and Brazilian Real is becoming more and more unfavorable to us Brazilians. And, of course, there is also import taxes and the importer's profit itself.

henrique, did nuuvem list it yet? IIRC they have the best prices for Brasil.

No, last time I checked they didn't. But no worries here, to say the truth even with a more reasonable price, I probably will not preorder it. Again because of USD/BRL conversion rate. As it normally floats, maybe I can get the game later ahead with a better price to me. :)

PS: I just checked Steam preorder price. The game is being listed there at BRL 249.00 (brazilians out there knows how high is this 249.00 price tag). Well, since 1 US dollar currently equals to BRL 3.12, you do the math: 249.00 / 3.12 = 79.80.
So the price being listed at GMG web store isn't an error from their side. I don't know if this very high price is Bethesda's fault or not, but one thing is for sure: TPB will have me !!!

Well done Bethesda, one less FO4 customer here !!!

Last edited:

I think that main reason is that they tried to imitate "I am Legend" movie too much. For "artistic" reasons… or because there are some similarities… or because story was inspired by the movie. In the movie it seems that the hero is the last human in New York and he has a dog. So there are those flashbacks, nostalgia… The dog in trailer looks pretty much like the dog from the movie. And instead of New York we have Boston here.

"Fallout 4: I am (Boston's) Legend" :)

Back
Top Bottom