The Bard's Tale IV - first in-engine footage

Sorry but I don't see how this is so fantastic, this is just a 3D rendered pre-scripted that is not in-game at all, it means nothing.

The Brothers Kringle are striking back...

It's enjoyable to watch, yes, but it's difficult to see how they can extend that level of quality to a massive dungeon crawl given their budget limitations. At some point they'll have to resort to repetitive asset use.

I was curious about the scene at the end; it seemed to be switching to an isometric view for combat. That would be good in my book.

I was curious about the scene at the end; it seemed to be switching to an isometric view for combat. That would be good in my book.

Yeah, in recent interviews with Brian Fargo, he's said that exploration and combat will look very different.

Wow! That looks so much better than I expected. I might just have to increase my pledge.

Once again, gaming "journalists" fail to explain things properly, but here is the interview in question, I think. They mention combat will "snap to a grid" out of 1st person. I imagine this means an isometric view as shown in this trailer.

This is also good news in my book. While the game had its problems, the Arkania remake pulled out of 1st person into turn-based isometic, and I thought this interplay (pun intended) worked well.

lol, BTIV is trending toward 12 million. That's a big dream, but even for 4 or 5 million, we could see one hell of a polished dungeon crawl. Makes me happy their premise is narrowly defined - they'll no doubt "improve the core experience" as they promised for both Wasteland 2 and Torment.

Sorry but I don't see how this is so fantastic, this is just a 3D rendered pre-scripted that is not in-game at all, it means nothing.

I also didn't saw anything exciting - to me it all looked like some Fable game.

Last edited:
Our plan right now is to zoom the camera out during combat. The exact plan isn't quite defined right now because it will depend on our funding level, but we've talked about stuff like either showing the party as portraits, or full 3D animated characters.

If portraits tne I think I would prefer 1st person instead of zooming out. On the other hand, you haven't let me down yet, WL2 was good and Torment is looking pretty damn great, so I'll probably like this game either way. Go on, take my money, make your game.

Our plan right now is to zoom the camera out during combat. The exact plan isn't quite defined right now because it will depend on our funding level, but we've talked about stuff like either showing the party as portraits, or full 3D animated characters.

If you go 3D animated characters, will there be movement? Or will they just stand there and combat will play out like a first-person blobber regardless of the perspective?

Here's one of the devs commenting on Eurogamer about the visuals:

"Thanks to everyone who has backed and supported us, it means a lot!

We specifically chose to call this in-engine footage. The video is running in Unreal Engine 4 and is using in-game quality assets, many of which were taken from our team's trip to Scotland in order to 3D-scan real-world objects for use in the game - similar to what the team behind The Vanishing of Ethan Carter did."

Here's one of the devs commenting on Eurogamer about the visuals:

"Thanks to everyone who has backed and supported us, it means a lot!

We specifically chose to call this in-engine footage. The video is running in Unreal Engine 4 and is using in-game quality assets, many of which were taken from our team's trip to Scotland in order to 3D-scan real-world objects for use in the game - similar to what the team behind The Vanishing of Ethan Carter did."

So the people giving them shit about flying to Scotland to film the pitch video, seems like they had another reason for being there right?

Nice footage, but I'm not getting why everyone is acting so blown away by it. Game engine or not, there's a big difference between putting together a scripted trailer and an actual game.

I thought the music was "ok". It was a little too LotR-ish for my taste.

Once combat starts, the combat shifts out of the first person mode

From the kickstarter update. Don't like it. The video looks great though.

I don't like it either, and I don't understand why they would consider it. Just keep it in first-person.

I think that whenever you see "gameplay" at an early stage of a Kickstarter or promotional campaign, it's almost always staged/scripted and cobbled together, even if it looks a bit more like actual gameplay. They are at least showing off high-quality assets and lighting in a proper next-gen engine, and some nice art design too.

The video looks great, but as others have said there's a huge difference between game footage and a designed promo video (otherwise AAA games would almost all be amazing). I do like the sounds of combat snapping into isometric view as first person just isn't my thing. If you're going that way though I'd prefer to see animated characters of course.

I value mechanics much more than graphics, but hey, that was pretty impressive!

One thing I know for sure: I'll love the soundtrack. I've never heard about Julie Fowlis before, but now I have to admit she's excellent singer.

Back
Top Bottom