The Bard's Tale IV - first in-engine footage

Our plan right now is to zoom the camera out during combat. The exact plan isn't quite defined right now because it will depend on our funding level, but we've talked about stuff like either showing the party as portraits, or full 3D animated characters.

I like the combat in wizardries (phased) or Might and Magic (turn based) or even Eye of the Beholder 3 (real time with click on the monster for a default action not like grimrock).

I think the combat is fine for these kind of games I don't think there is a merit for innovation here. You are trying to fix a non-existent problem.

I think your mainly focus must be the story, immersion, atmosphere not combat.

Looks great

It looks great, but man, if I was in charge of ending RPG cliches, over the top evil laughter would be near the top of the list!

If they go wizardry combat I'd say keep it first person but I wouldn't mind a system that zooms out and let's me move my characters around the battlefield, turn based obviously.

Also every bards tale game I remember playeing was a wizardry clone so I don't understand the LOG comparisons as those are two totally different gameplay systems.

Anyway I backed for $20 for my copy of wl2 but if they show me a promising combat system to go with good visuals I could be persuaded to up it.

Looks great glad i pledged.

Bards Tale IV vs. Fallout 4

1 : 0

The underdog beats the world champion…

What a childish comment, like many on this site lately.

I think it looks fantastic as well, but I think both games look good which means more fun games for all of us instead of looking at the way some of you are.

Pretty trailer, but it is just like a commercial and I would like to see what the actual game play will look like.

And regarding combat, I can't believe they are considering having portaits when zoomed out in isometric view, that would be horrible.

Why not just have it look like a normal isometric game like Wasteland 2 or Tides of Numenera when zoomed out in combat, they already have the engines for it.

So, you could have the first person 3D perspective when exploring, and the traditional isometric perspective when engaged in combat, the best of both worlds.
I'll back it if they do that.

It's not just the music. It's not just the graphics. And it's not just the characters.

It's that the three are drawn together in a significant cultural awareness that tells me Fargo and gang have a strong sense of world and place and that their appeals to Scotland aren't just window dressing. It won't be historical, but it cuts to a unique romanticism that I don't see in a lot of games. It, well, it *sings*. That's what's got me floored. The idea that I'm in the able hands of a designer that can get past all the D&D mechanical cruft and really *speak* to me. That is a big deal, trailer or no.

What a childish comment, like many on this site lately.

I think it looks fantastic as well, but I think both games look good which means more fun games for all of us instead of looking at the way some of you are.

Some harmless childish fun is exactly what this site needs, and not endless whining about a minor graphics downgrade from a game called The Witcher 3.
You should know that I don't care for graphics at all. For example two of the best games released this year IMO are Telepath Tactics and Battle Brothers, both with limited gfx.

With the comment above I just wanted to make some fun a Bethesda, a company which has at least 20x the budget of InXile, and they are not able to make a better trailer.
Fallout 4 will be a Fallout 3 mod which was a Oblivion mod. I couldn't care less -
if the gameplay is fun, the storyline interesting and the lore fits to Fallout 1 & 2. Hopefully they create a challenging game this time around.

Only thing that has me concerned is the very end of the video where it shows 4 characters standing. Please tell me we can at least have 6 like BT1, but I would prefer the BT2&3 number of 7 which suited people who liked 1 npc in their party.

Well, I could hardly tell the difference between this and the original Bard's Tale :)

Anyway, nice PR trailer that tells us very little about the game - and let's just say I expect a bit of a downgrade.

Only thing that has me concerned is the very end of the video where it shows 4 characters standing. Please tell me we can at least have 6 like BT1, but I would prefer the BT2&3 number of 7 which suited people who liked 1 npc in their party.

From what I've read, you're going to have a 6 member party.

This video was way better than the okayish 6/10 Fallout 4 trailer. Excited!

Once again, gaming "journalists" fail to explain things properly, but here is the interview in question, I think. They mention combat will "snap to a grid" out of 1st person. I imagine this means an isometric view as shown in this trailer.

This is also good news in my book. While the game had its problems, the Arkania remake pulled out of 1st person into turn-based isometic, and I thought this interplay (pun intended) worked well.

Uh no it would be a really bad move. It's a blobber. It's suppposed to be all about immersion and exploration and to feature tons of smooth combat. It's not supposed to be chess.

I'm afraid they're going to stray too much from the basic structure of what Wizardry was. These games work because they never take you out of the player's perspective.

Uh no it would be a really bad move. It's a blobber. It's suppposed to be all about immersion and exploration and to feature tons of smooth combat. It's not supposed to be chess.

I'm afraid they're going to stray too much from the basic structure of what Wizardry was. These games work because they never take you out of the player's perspective.

Yes, I am really worried about the immersion if they switch perspective for combat, probably it'll really break the immersion!

It will be really really annoying if they take you out of first person mode for combat. I do understand you get bit more tactical options on 3rd person but I loved the immersion factor first person gives me and its why I really like Wiz8 and MMX.

Maybe they can do both mode for combat, first and 3rd !

A lot of the fun for me in Blobbers is seeing the enemies react to my attacks. Bard's Tale especially could benefit from this with a bit of humour in the animations, but not so effectively if it's overhead perspective.

Back
Top Bottom