The TV Series discussion thread

Older shows - Homicide Life on the Street, OZ
Newer shows - Mr Robot, Man in the High Castle, Narcos

BTW The Yawning dead is seriously overrated and GoT (especially last seasons) is a mixed bag.

Last edited:
I also thought the final episode of True Detective was disappointing, although I still enjoyed it, and the season overall was better than I had expected it to be.

I really didn't like how Frank met his end. He was portrayed throughout the season as being a pretty slick guy and not the type to jeopardize himself by doing something stupid. For him to go out like that was really lame.

If you watched closely you can see Frank underestimated the Mexicans on (at least) two occasions and he got carlitoed . Same thing happened in Carlito's Way and Heat, It's a realistic ending to a pulp noir season, I much prefer it than some happy bull***.

Have to agree about Frank on True Detective. There is no doubt he was a clever guy, which was proven out several times, but he also had quite the ego with a side of arrogance, and I think that was his demise. The wisest step he took was making sure his wife was taken care of regardless of what happened to him.

Just got done watching the YouTube show Critical Role Episode 1 and it was extremely entertaining. Basically its a show about professional voice actors playing Dungeons and Dragons. The GM, Matt Mercer does a tremendous job orchestrating the game,he is half story teller half game referee. The voice actors are all very good at role playing their characters and seem to really enjoy themselves. Pretty funny and amazing if you like DnD, I recommend it to all you DnD geeks and nerds out there.

Just got done watching the YouTube show Critical Role Episode 1 and it was extremely entertaining. Basically its a show about professional voice actors playing Dungeons and Dragons. The GM, Matt Mercer does a tremendous job orchestrating the game,he is half story teller half game referee. The voice actors are all very good at role playing their characters and seem to really enjoy themselves. Pretty funny and amazing if you like DnD, I recommend it to all you DnD geeks and nerds out there.

There's a similar one where Wil Wheaton is the Game Master: http://geekandsundry.com/shows/titansgrave/

Not a great TV season start so far for us ...
- Castle was bland and obviously stretched for a 2-part premiere
- Heroes Reborn ... should have stayed dead
- Fresh off the boat ... worst episode yet.
... and anything else we tried was 'meh' at best

Slowly getting caught up.

They didn't announce it as such, but the last episode of Defiance sure looked like a series finale rather than a season finale. I think I'm OK with that.

First episode of the Muppets was a mixed bag. I was smiling thru most of the show, but I don't know for sure whether I was enjoying it or just having a 30 minute bout of nostalgia. We'll see where that goes over the next few weeks.

Not a great TV season start so far for us …
- Castle was bland and obviously stretched for a 2-part premiere
- Heroes Reborn … should have stayed dead
- Fresh off the boat … worst episode yet.
… and anything else we tried was 'meh' at best

I liked The Bastard Executioner's pilot, haven't watched the 2nd ep. yet.

I know the first one, but that's not really for me.

I'll check out the others, thanks :)

If you were not a fan of Breaking Bad, you may still like Better call Saul. Well at least the first season not sure where they are heading with it right now.

It was more on the lines of a younger brother who only became a lawyer because of his more successful older brother. It was an odd show, with some very good character development.

If you were not a fan of Breaking Bad, you may still like Better call Saul. Well at least the first season not sure where they are heading with it right now.

It was more on the lines of a younger brother who only became a lawyer because of his more successful older brother. It was an odd show, with some very good character development.

I liked Breaking Bad well enough, but I think it's pretty overrated. I also liked the Saul character, but I don't want to watch a show revolving around him. I generally dislike spin-offs.

Maybe one day, when I'm really bored :)

I'm mostly into sci-fi/horror/fantasy stuff these days.

Last show I really enjoyed was Penny Dreadful. True Detective S2 was ok, but a letdown. Hannibal devolved into a complete joke and Game of Thrones lost me around season 2 :(

That said, the GF and I just finished Babylon 5 - and that was a great experience.

Watched the season 2 premiere of The Leftovers in spite of myself-- I thought season one was pretentious & too slow. Yet I couldn't stay away for whatever reason and must say it was better than any episode from the previous season. I never read the novel, but I expect it's no longer following it.

Finished Fear the Walking Dead. The finale made up for the rest of the season. Overall the show is entertaining but there is plenty of silliness in terms of actions by the characters. At the same time, why complain too much about realism since the show centers around the zombie apocalypse? It serves its purpose as filler before its parent show starts back up.

We watched the Quantico pilot last night and found it probably the most engaging of all the new shows we've tried so far. The second episode is also on Hulu so we'll check that outu tonight.

On the other hand we also watched the latest Castle episode ... awful. Given our already low expectations, it is quite the season with one dragging mediocre episode, one decent but unsatisfying episode ... and whatever that crap was last night.

The Leftovers series one was pretty good, the second series is off to a cracking good start. The first ten minutes with the cavewoman....I think I watched that part 3 times just to figure out wtf was going on. And of course, the almighty Doctor Who is back, so it gets que'd up first! By gosh, I do enjoy the return to an older, mad scientist kinda doctor!

Finished Fear the Walking Dead. The finale made up for the rest of the season. Overall the show is entertaining but there is plenty of silliness in terms of actions by the characters. At the same time, why complain too much about realism since the show centers around the zombie apocalypse? It serves its purpose as filler before its parent show starts back up.
I've made it thru the first 3 episodes now. So far, it's kinda meh, but shows like this can take a little while to find their bearings so I'm hopeful.

I think my main interest is waiting for the price to come down on season 2 of Penny Dreadful.

We watched the Quantico pilot last night and found it probably the most engaging of all the new shows we've tried so far. The second episode is also on Hulu so we'll check that outu tonight.

Engaging maybe, but do you really see much potential in this series? Imo the pilot episode seemed kind of shallow and some of the main actors aren't very believable as fbi agents. The show has basicly one good idea and rest of it is quite forgettable. Just like Blacklist which tried so hard to be cleverest show ever made. But maybe it gets better..:)

I'd rather watch Homeland. The acting quality is much better and the series feels more authentic.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom